PDA

View Full Version : Pls help w/9mm taper crimp adjustment

ORSalesRep
07-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Hello,

I have a Hornady AP Progressive press and I typically seat and crimp separately. I am trying to adjust the taper crimp die, which is a Redding die. Can anyone please help with the complete steps to adjust this die with the proper crimp?
Thanks
Steve

mr surveyor
07-05-2013, 04:21 PM
I would assume that you would screw the die in to touch the shell holder with the ram up and tighten the lock nut. Then, with the adjustment plug screw out, put a round in the die and screw the adjustment down until it touches the case rim. Back the round out of the die and turn the adjuster stem in a half turn up to a full turn, depending on the desired crimp. Just enough crimp to retain the bullet, but not so much as to hamper headspacing on the case rim.

just my guess.

surv

CJB
07-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Not sure on the Redding, but if you're doing a seperate taper crip, the best gauge is your barrel's chamber.

Start so that a completed round, with the bullet seated as you want it. Bring the ram up and screw the die so that it just touches the round. Lower the ram. Adjust the die about a quarter turn more downward. Raise the ram. Try the round in the chamber (take the barrel out of the pistol to do this. It ought to drop in, and seat flush with the hood. It probably will be close. Contnue adjusting one eighth turn downward after that, trying the round in the chamber until it drops in easily. Done.

pappy42
07-06-2013, 03:13 PM
CJB nailed it! Good job.