View Full Version : Plastic or Cardboard boxes for Kahrs

BucketBack
08-20-2013, 08:07 AM
My used EF prefix CW9 came with a plastic box, my used IO prefix CM9 came with a Cardboard box with foam ling.

The serial numbers are on the outside of both boxes.

gb6491
08-20-2013, 08:23 AM
The cardboard box is a recent thing. My CM9 came in one, but my older CW9 and CW45 came in plastic cases.
Regards,
Greg

Linthead
08-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Some beancounter at Kahr probably figured out that they could increase their profit by $1 a gun by changing from a good plastic case to a cheap cardboard box.

Bawanna
08-20-2013, 12:10 PM
On the plus side, I keep all my original boxes but usually never do anything with them except on the very rare occasions I sell one, then I try to find it and include it with the gun.
I have seen people use them as a carry case to range etc but I don't. I use soft zippered bags. (fit more in a range bag than boxes.)

So in the infamous words of that worthless human Hillary, what difference does it make?

BucketBack
08-20-2013, 12:35 PM
It don't be making no neverminds to me.

muggsy
08-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Paper or plastic? I'm tired of being asked. I get the same thing at the grocery store. I prefer plastic, but a card board box isn't a deal breaker. I don't plan on eating the box. On second thought....., :)

skiflydive
08-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Some beancounter at Kahr probably figured out that they could increase their profit by $1 a gun by changing from a good plastic case to a cheap cardboard box.

They more likely figured out that once the gun comes out of the case/box it never goes back in and there's no reason for the customer to have that plastic box sitting unused on the shelf.

jocko
08-20-2013, 02:51 PM
maybe kahr is goin GREEN. Just sayin

Love ur Hillary statement colonel. I buy a gun I don't really want to buy a fokking box that costs anymore than the least amount of money..

Bawanna
08-20-2013, 03:22 PM
I tried to come up with something your girl Monica said but I came up empty.

Sorry.

Linthead
08-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Since when is foam rubber "green"? Just sayin

O'Dell
08-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Looks like I may the only one that uses the cases. I store all my pistols in the cases in the safe. I got a really nice one with my MK40. It's the same case but with a foam liner instead of the hard plastic interior.

Bawanna
08-20-2013, 03:59 PM
You need to put 30 rifles in that safe with another dozen pistols and see how much room you have for them boxes O'Dell.

My last K9 I got came in a plastic box with a really nice foam interior, never seen one come like it before. My K40 and PM45 as I recall came in just a plastic molded case.

Damn, maybe the case is important after all. Your safe looks so nice and organized.
I'd post one of mine but it's like a kids toy box, kind of a jumble. Nothing getting scratched or touched but definitely a jumble.

Bawanna
08-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Maybe I need to thin the herd so I can be organized too? Naw.....................

addictedhealer
08-20-2013, 04:22 PM
I like the zip up one my LCR came with. Smaller and fits in my backpack. Plastic, well honestly could careless.

O'Dell
08-21-2013, 12:27 AM
You need to put 30 rifles in that safe with another dozen pistols and see how much room you have for them boxes O'Dell.

My last K9 I got came in a plastic box with a really nice foam interior, never seen one come like it before. My K40 and PM45 as I recall came in just a plastic molded case.

Damn, maybe the case is important after all. Your safe looks so nice and organized.
I'd post one of mine but it's like a kids toy box, kind of a jumble. Nothing getting scratched or touched but definitely a jumble.

It's an old picture. Right now I have 13 pistols, a 45 carbine, laptop, jewelry box with jewelry and watches, a metal box with vehicle titles, house deeds, insurance policies, and cash, and about 6500 rounds of ammo. There's easily room to add 15 pistols and 4 or 5 long guns plus triple the ammo.

CJB
08-21-2013, 05:11 AM
Even if the paper were more expensive, you'd get the paper box. The reason is the perception of value, or lack of value, in the mind of the consumer.

The CW, CM series is the exact same bottom end as the P and PM series. Only barrel and slide and front sight are different. But, they're the "value" line.

Considering that both barrels are hammer forged - same price no matter the rifling pattern. The machine makes slides in either pattern from the same metal. Cost differences are miniscule, and evaluated in time of production, not cost. That is, maybe they can make a few more of the simple slides per hour. Yes, you get a simpler slide catch.

What it really boils down to is the preservation of the upmarket products place as an upmarket product, while the value line is there to keep the number of units being made and sold at the highest possible level.

This is a tricky marketing game, but Kahr seems to have a good handle on it, and they're at full production.

BucketBack
08-21-2013, 05:56 AM
As we're on the subject of cases. The hard plastic with no liner is the only one suitable for storage. The foam absorbs moisture and then transfers it to your gun.

Bawanna
08-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Another reason I don't store guns in cases.

BucketBack
08-21-2013, 11:09 AM
The only 2 guns I store in a case are

1) an old shotgun hidden in a vehicle compartment
2) a Black Rifle with loaded mags for a travel bag.

If I didn't need the cases to abide by the law,they wouldn't be in them.

Popeye
08-22-2013, 05:00 AM
Most all my pistols came in Plastic Boxes, with the exception of my Ruger SR1911. That came in a cardboard box. The nice thing about that is it also came with a nice padded zip up soft case to put the pistol in when taking it to the range inside my range bag. I kind of like buying a pistol and it coming with something I'll actually use. All my plastic boxes are in a larger cardboard box in the attack and the only time I seem to use them is when I do a trade or sell the pistol that came in it. Good thinking Ruger for giving customers something that has a purpose and not just a useless trinket that never leaves the case it came in.. Thanks
None of my pistols or rifles live in there cases, hard or soft. There only for transporting them from home to someplace where I'm going to put a hole, or multiple holes in something.:D

muggsy
08-22-2013, 07:29 AM

Contrary to popular belief there is no shortage of safes. One can always buy another safe, or a bigger safe, if he runs out of room. I've never had a problem finding room for one more gun and knowing you like we do, neither have you. :)

LorenzoB
08-22-2013, 07:48 AM
As we're on the subject of cases. The hard plastic with no liner is the only one suitable for storage. The foam absorbs moisture and then transfers it to your gun.

Yes. Foam is not good for storage.

LorenzoB
08-22-2013, 08:02 AM
......it also came with a nice padded zip up soft case to put the pistol in when taking it to the range inside my range bag.

Bummer is that California law basically did away with the zip up soft cases. Any gun not on your carry permit must be transported unloaded and in a locked hard-sided case (ie. plastic). But, Kahr's plastic cases won't do (not lockable).

What is stupid is that either case with a small lock can be compromised within a few seconds.

JERRY
08-22-2013, 04:11 PM
cost saving measure id guess. theres a high dollar 1911 brand out there that ships in a cardboard box too.....

like others have said, zipper gun case is usually the route I go after purchase.

O'Dell
08-22-2013, 04:57 PM

I've never had a problem with foam in over 40 years. My pistols are all like new even the old ones, but I do wipe them down every couple of months. When I shot on a pistol team in the sixties, we had custom cases with foam and those were some expensive guns.

garyb
08-23-2013, 10:04 AM
I store my handguns in the original "plastic" case from the manufacturer in my gun vault. They are foam lined and no problem, but I keep the guns oiled lightly too. My KahrPM40 came in a plastic case and I prefer the plastic to the cardboard. My PM40 is either on my or in my bedside Nano vault, so I don't use the PM's original plastic case....so I guess in this case the plastic vs cardboard is not an issue for this gun. My wife's S&W bodyguard 380 came in a cardboard box and I felt it was kind of a cheezy way to package $350 of product, but that's just me. Fortunately we don't use it, because her Bodyguard is in a Nano vault locked bedside too. The Bodyguard is the only gun we have in a cardboard box. I guess what I am saying is that I prefer the better made plastic gun case over cardboard... and the foam liner has not been a problem for us because we keep the guns stored clean and lightly oiled....JMO.

jocko
08-23-2013, 10:27 AM
back in the day EVERY FOKKING s & w came in that nice dark Blue box with metal corner staples in them. great box, wrapped in brwon protective paper. Give me that type of box any day. Even the expeswnisve Model 52 and 41's and dirty Harry['s special. I am not a fan of storing in foam either, maybe because today homes are dryer makes foam an OK thing to... If ur gonna own a gun or guns u damn wellbetter keep aneye on them, expeically if they are blued steel versions, which seems today in our semi's is gettin less and less...

RevRay
08-23-2013, 12:55 PM
I was on eBay yesterday looking at Kahr stuff ... and those plastic boxes are actually selling for $10-15 ... and that's an actual sold for price, not just an asking price.