View Full Version : Broken Firing Pin

Mjcollier73
08-23-2013, 03:44 PM
I went to shoot my PM9 today and couldn't because I believe the pin is broken. Does anyone know if this is covered under warranty? I have fired 212 rounds and bought it new less than 6 months ago.

Bawanna
08-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Absolutely should be. Probably too late now to call but call or email Kahr and either have them send you a new one or get a return approval.

jocko
08-23-2013, 03:55 PM
they will send u a new one, u can installit urself. It will be no charge.

email kahr: attn: Jay state ur issue. very rare occurance.

Mjcollier73
08-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks. Pretty shocking to me also.

getsome
08-23-2013, 05:25 PM
That is strange, have you tried the pencil trick where you drop a pencil with eraser down into the barrel with the barrel pointed straight up (after removing the magazine and clearing the chamber of course) then reset the striker and pull the trigger which should make the pencil come out or at least move some if the striker is working properly...

Also if you have never cleaned out the striker channel using the little hole in the underside of the slide with some brake cleaner and the red tube stuck in the hole then try that...Some folks have found lots of crud from the factory in the channel which should flush out with the cleaner then no oil in that area...

Hope you can fix it yourself but if not then Kahr will fix it for you but do at least try the above and see before you send it back needlessly...good luck and let us know what it turns out to be

kerby9mm
08-23-2013, 05:31 PM
If it was my gun I would get a RMA at Kahr's expense. If you install it yourself & something else is wrong with the gun what then. Kahr could say that you screwed it up. IMO just better to let them fix it & inspect it. Not very many rounds to have a broken FP.

Bawanna
08-23-2013, 05:33 PM
The very few that we've heard of were obviously bad from the get go. Low round counts. Just a bad pin to start with.

They will take it back and fix it but it would be a time saver to install a new one at home. Either way they will make it right.

Mjcollier73
08-23-2013, 05:34 PM
I have pushed the striker safety block and then moved the striker forward. I should see the striker protruding but it doesn't protrude anymore.

Mjcollier73
08-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Where do I find the slide disassembly thread? Are there any tricks or things I need to beaw are of?

getsome
08-23-2013, 05:46 PM
Look in the New Member Forum and it's the 10th sticky down...Not real hard to do after the first time but some good advise is to do it inside a large plastic bag so when the striker spring comes flying out it will end up in the bag and not in orbit...Ask me how I know that....:D

scosgt
08-23-2013, 06:02 PM
That is pretty strange. When I took the striker out I found it to be very robust looking.
Probably bad metalurgy. It can happen. Years ago Star had a run of bad firing pins on the firestar, the tip would fly out of the gun on dry firing. Turned out to be bad heat treating.

Since I have around 600 rounds through my CM40, I am going to go out on a limb and say it is probably good.

garyb
08-23-2013, 06:11 PM
OUCH! Amazing. Best of luck on that one.

CJB
08-23-2013, 08:10 PM
I broke firing pins on my Ruger P90 twice, the third one held up. That gun was fired little, but used as teaching aid three times a week for a long time when I was teaching. Had the @#$%!! pin fly out in class!

Happens. No big deal, Kahr isn't noted for weak firing pins.

addictedhealer
08-23-2013, 08:38 PM
Fixing the problem should take less than 10 minutes. If you can't do it your self with supplied materials then you shouldn't even own a firearm.

muggsy
08-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Not everyone is a gunsmith. Many fine firearms have been ruined by people who thought they were gunsmiths. Doing anything more that field stripping the gun can void the warranty. Anyone who is reasonably good with hand tools and who is mechanically inclined should be able to replace the striker.

kerby9mm
08-24-2013, 05:26 AM
Fixing the problem should take less than 10 minutes. If you can't do it your self with supplied materials then you shouldn't even own a firearm.

Can you rebuild the engine in your car? If not what does that mean you should not own?

CJB
08-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Ya ought to be able to do more than put gas in the tank of your car though. Course some folks can't, so point well taken.

Mjcollier73
08-24-2013, 02:43 PM
I know I could fix it on my own but why would I if it is under warranty.

jocko
08-24-2013, 02:59 PM
this is not rocket science, it is merely a brokenstriker. It slides right in the striker channel. If u follow the instructions given on this forum , it might take u 10 minutes to do it all, no adjustments necessary either. sure gonna save u about 3 weeks possably of down time. but ifu so insist in letting kahr do the owrkk then just send them the slide regular mail next day delivery for about $10 and getit back in less than a week. . noneed to send the entire gun back to them..

addictedhealer
08-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Can you rebuild the engine in your car? If not what does that mean you should not own?

I wasn't trying to be an ass. Just implying how easy it is to do. Plus it is a good opportunity to learn the gun.

Sorry if I came off sounding like a ********.

Also rebuilding the motor on a car is alot different than working on a Kahr..

Mjcollier73
08-25-2013, 09:12 AM
I would like to take it apart but it has been mentioned on this thread that it may void the warranty. If Jay says it's OK then I will do it.

JimC
08-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Replacing the striker on your own should have no bearing at all on your warranty, especially when its Kahr that would be sending you the striker to begin with.
Also, learning how to on your own is a good learning experience.
I say go for it and enjoy...;)

340pd
08-25-2013, 10:16 AM
I know I could fix it on my own but why would I if it is under warranty.
Why would you want to box up and ship a gun off if you knew you could fix it yourself in under ten minutes? Personally I think it is helping out the manufacturer by saving them a lot of unnecessary time, labor, and shipping cost, not to mention the time you are without your firearm, plus, you get to know your own gun better. There are far too many negative posts about how long it takes at the manufacturer to repair warranted work.

S**t happens, if you can deal with it yourself, do it.

Mjcollier73
08-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Well, I am going to send it back because Jay sent a request for me to send it back.

JimC
08-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Well, I am going to send it back because Jay sent a request for me to send it back.

On their dime?

jocko
08-26-2013, 10:21 AM
we here can only recommend, it is ur choice when it comes down to it. Most of these posts here are very time saving for u, but otherwise if u don't miss it then let kahr fix it. Sounds to melike u might be more confident in letting them fix it. Just sayin.

I sure in hell would not send it back on MY DIME!!!

Mjcollier73
08-26-2013, 10:56 AM
It is on their dime. No way I would have sent it on my dime.

I think it is such a rare occurrence that they want to look it over.

Thanks to all of you for your help. This is a great forum.

muggsy
08-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Replacing the striker on your own should have no bearing at all on your warranty, especially when its Kahr that would be sending you the striker to begin with.
Also, learning how to on your own is a good learning experience.
I say go for it and enjoy...;)

If you read your manual it states that anything more than field stripping the gun may void your warranty. On page 17 under Dismantling and Reassembly. "Do not dismantle the pistol further than the main components described above (except magazine). To do so may create an unsafe condition and affects the pistol's warranty. I don't know how stringent Kahr is about this policy, but you could be buying yourself a world of problems if they are stringent about it.

jocko
08-26-2013, 12:13 PM
they have sent new strikers to owners before who have had a broken striker. I wold not consider taking the striker channel area down for inspection and cleaning should void the warranty, Forst of all there is just no way for them to ever know even if that area was invaded. That b.s in the manual is CYA lawyer talk......

JimC
08-26-2013, 12:21 PM
If you read your manual it states that anything more than field stripping the gun may void your warranty. On page 17 under Dismantling and Reassembly. "Do not dismantle the pistol further than the main components described above (except magazine). To do so may create an unsafe condition and affects the pistol's warranty. I don't know how stringent Kahr is about this policy, but you could be buying yourself a world of problems if they are stringent about it.

IMO FWIW, if you were to report to Kahr CS that you had a broken striker in your pistol and they offer to send you a new unit knowing that you, the end user will be installing it yourself, I don't think they would void your warranty over such a minor issue/repair.

I have read here on this forum that Kahr has replaced mag catches and the owners replaced them on their own. No mention of a voided warranty has been reported and that is more than "field stripping". ;)

muggsy
08-26-2013, 08:58 PM
I don't want to belabor the issue, but if he replaces the striker himself and the striker block doesn't perform as it should and it results in a negligent discharge he could be looking at a lawsuit. Not everyone is a gunsmith and not everyone is mechanically inclined. I could replace the striker without any difficulty and would if it were mine, but I wouldn't encourage anyone that I didn't know personally to do the same. But, that's just me.

Mjcollier73
08-26-2013, 10:48 PM
I am mechanically inclined and would not be afraid to change the striker and I asked them to send me a striker but was told that it had to be sent in. I am not going to argue with them. I am not that put out by it and it's not like I will be unarmed. Either way the gun will be at Kahr headquarters by 10:30 AM tomorrow morning.

JimC
08-27-2013, 03:21 AM
End of story...;)

muggsy
08-27-2013, 06:11 PM
I am mechanically inclined and would not be afraid to change the striker and I asked them to send me a striker but was told that it had to be sent in. I am not going to argue with them. I am not that put out by it and it's not like I will be unarmed. Either way the gun will be at Kahr headquarters by 10:30 AM tomorrow morning.

I think that you did the wise thing. I could be that a problem with the slide caused the striker to fail. If so Kahr will remedy the problem. Just out of curiosity, did Kahr send you a prepaid mailer? If they asked you to send the gun in I'd expect that they did. I don't think that you will be disappointed with their service or turn around time.

Mjcollier73
08-28-2013, 06:15 AM
Yes, they sent me a FedEx ticket. Better safe than sorry.

Mjcollier73
09-23-2013, 05:23 PM
I got my gun back last Tuesday the striker was replace. I shot it today with no issue. I just wonder if I dry fired to often. Anyway all is well.

jocko
09-23-2013, 05:59 PM
naw dry fire away, it was just a bad striker. It happens, rare but it happens.