PDA

View Full Version : Polishing an older Kahr PM9 or MK9?

scandinavian01
09-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Can I use flitz polish to restore an older Kahr PM9 or MK9 to like new condition?

muggsy
09-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Not knowing the condition of your pistol it's difficult to say. Flitz will put a high polish on the slide and Kahr slides are more of a frosted or brushed finish.

jocko
09-21-2013, 05:12 PM
wellif it looks like sh!t now, what have u to loose. Ur gonna put some hours into it to do it right, but IMO go for it.

yqtszhj
09-21-2013, 07:48 PM
If it turns out nice let us see it.

Did I read somewhere that someone had some success with a scotch brite pad to even out the finish?

MBSL500
09-28-2013, 10:20 PM
The finish is just bead media.
Disassemble your slide and have it glass beaded.
It'll look factory new. If you're nervous about having it done, PM me. I'll be happy to do it for you.
No charge.

FLBri
09-29-2013, 06:19 AM
If it turns out nice let us see it.

Did I read somewhere that someone had some success with a scotch brite pad to even out the finish?

That would be me ... but I've not done it starting from the bead finish. Working with the Kahr "Elite" finish or a High polish it works great. If you have a high ( or Mirror) polish using a fine scotch brite with some drops of gun oil will barely dull the finish to where it's easy to maintain but still be highly reflective.

If it has a brush finish just use it dry.

b4uqzme
09-29-2013, 06:48 AM
I used a scotchbrite pad and a stainless cleaner called "Barkeepers Friend". The finish stayed matte but it took out the light scratches and grime. I'm real happy with the results. If you try it, use the liquid version and keep it out of the striker channel or any other moving parts and away from your iron sights.