View Full Version : Finding .45 ACP practice ammo

at_liberty
05-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Streichers has USA made MagTech new ammo at $19, the first under $20 I have seen for awhile.

Magtech .45 ACP FMJ box of 50 (http://streichers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?Catalog=Guns and Ammo&Category=AMMO_MAGP&Prod=MT-45A)

at_liberty
05-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Another source for .45 ACP practice ammo, unspecified brand, at Ammo Direct.

.45 ACP TCJ RN $18.73 (http://www.ammodirect.com/default.aspx?tabid=44&id=211)

TCJRN - total copper jacket round nose (std FMJ stuff)

This ammo is remanufactured (reloads)

Mr. S
05-06-2010, 02:41 PM
I usually get mine at Wal Mart for cheaper than both of those and no shipping.
Remington UMC .45acp 250 pack $90 OTD

at_liberty
05-06-2010, 07:56 PM
I usually get mine at Wal Mart for cheaper than both of those and no shipping.
Remington UMC .45acp 250 pack $90 OTD

Yes, well, my closest Wally doesn't have a single round of .45 ACP of any grade. I will certainly keep watching. I have a chance to swing by a different one tomorrow. From what I have seen that is actually in stock, name brand stuff at $21.99 would be a good buy right now. Take off a dollar or two if taking 20 boxes (1000 round case). Even reloads, so called remanufactured, would be a good buy at anything under $20. It doesn't have to be a world record low price to be good buy. First you have to find some.

jeep45238
05-06-2010, 08:15 PM
So....if I start to market $19.90/50 .45ACP lead reloads........how much would you buy?

at_liberty
05-06-2010, 08:42 PM
So....if I start to market $19.90/50 .45ACP lead reloads........how much would you buy? I just got in 1000 rounds at a price equivalent to $19.25/box, so I think we're close.

It has to be FMJ though, which is what really commands the price.

I get them from Lucky Gunner, but when they come up, they don't last long. With previous orders of the same stuff, I think I have used about 600 rounds with no failures of any kind.

jeep45238
05-07-2010, 04:13 AM
Nah - I don't do FMJ in any loading but rifles anymore. No advantages at all from where I sit.

In-Yo-Grill
05-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Wal-Mart's $15.97 a box of Federal Premium is the best price I've seen. You just have to gobble up as much as you can when you see it.

at_liberty
05-07-2010, 05:50 AM
Nah - I don't do FMJ in any loading but rifles anymore. No advantages at all from where I sit. The indoor range does not allow lead ammo, i.e. must be jacketed. It fouls the air and contaminates the dirt wall that gets changed regularly. That's aside from any business about fouling rifling etc. Casting bullets is interesting but primitive when it comes to pistols.

jeep45238
05-07-2010, 06:03 AM
Such misinformation :shakes head:

at_liberty
05-07-2010, 06:23 AM
Such misinformation :shakes head:You need to be specific when discrediting someone else's contribution. Otherwise it is a logical fallacy akin to "poisoning the well"...all good things must come from you instead.

jeep45238
05-07-2010, 06:47 AM
Quite the contrary.

Properly sized, hardened, and lubricated lead bullets do not 'foul' the air, nor do they foul rifling or the dirt any more than FMJ. It's much easier on barrels than FMJ, and the smoke generated is usually an indication of poor lubrication (either method or lube choice) and a poor powder selection.

While it's more primitive than say, Speer's bullet making production, casting lead and turning it into useable projectiles is far from primitive.

It's quite easy to say negatives about lead when you're not making them or using them, which
is a logical fallacy akin to "poisoning the well"

The Habernatho
05-07-2010, 07:11 AM
You need to be specific when discrediting someone else's contribution. Otherwise it is a logical fallacy akin to "poisoning the well"...all good things must come from you instead.

You just get done reading The House of the Seven Gables?

at_liberty
05-07-2010, 07:20 AM
I mentioned lead bullets as "primitive" because only reloaders use them, it would seem. I encounter a few factory rounds in my searches but not many or often. It is obvious that what sells out first is straight up FMJ cartridges.

No claim of authority, but Wikipedia cites "The jacket allows for higher muzzle velocities than bare lead without depositing significant amounts of metal in the bore."

I suspect that in combat or a long match that means needing to clean less often.

I took it as basically providing for less exposure to lead as a toxic contaminant.

I would think also that a metal jacket would mean less imperfections in a soft lead nose and then failures to feed in an auto loader.

What do I know? What I do know is that FMJ is the common bullet, and lead ammo is not only rare but for autopistols is not in demand and is often not permitted.

Lastly, I find numerous references to lead bullets fouling a barrel. If that is an urban (or rural) legend, I don't want to be blamed for attending the wrong school. Good luck on proving it wrong.

Michael W.
05-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Back to the subject of .45 ACP availability...(no offense to Nathaniel Hawthorne)

I just ordered some Blazer Aluminum from Natches for $17.99/box a couple
of days ago. That's about the best price I've seen online.

They sell out quick (sold out now) but you can easily set up an alert
for the item and they'll send you an email alert when it comes in.

Here's the link: CCI Blazer 45 ACP 230 gr FMJ Ammunition 50/box - Natchez Shooters Supplies (http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=CC&prodID=CC3570&prodTitle=CCI%20Blazer%2045%20ACP%20230%20gr%20FMJ %20Ammunition%2050/box)

Michael-

snuffy
05-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I just ordered some Blazer Aluminum from Natches for $17.99/box a couple of days ago. That's about the best price I've seen online.
Michael-

That's great range ammo. I picked up 2 cases, a couple of years ago, when it was $11.99/box. Wish I'd bought more at that price. :(

at_liberty
05-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Back from a chance to check yet another area WalMart. That's three in a row without a single round of .45 ACP of any grade...practice, defensive, whatever...nada!

I just can't relate to someone claiming to routinely, implying currently, buying it at WalMart for relatively amazing prices. Good price quotes posted as "OUT OF STOCK - No backorder" are a dime a dozen now. WalMart is no different. Like any source, you have to watch constantly and buy when they got 'em, not when it's financially convenient.

With that in mind, I did find .40 S&W in the harder to find 180 gr FMTC which was a better price by a bit than I have generally seen on line. I snagged a box of Federal for $14.97 and Winchester white box for $17.47. I like the Federal, but I recall past impressions of the standard grade Winchesters as being sooty (dirty). I will see if that seems to be the case again.

wyntrout
05-07-2010, 05:41 PM
I went to two Wally Worlds today and found no .45. I did pick up another 6 boxes of Federal 9mm 115-gr FMJ @ $9.47 a box. I have at least 24 boxes gotten that way.
At the first WW the clerk said they were worried the had too much 9mm. I told him just drop that six box limit total ammo purchase.
I would like to see some more of the equivalent .45 Federal 230-gr FMJ at $15.97 a box... $17.09 out the door! I shot my only box of that today... works fine.
They did have a new 9mm by Winchester: 124-gr NATO for $12.47 white box of 50.
Wynn:D

PigButtons
05-07-2010, 08:10 PM
We've got possibly the best LGS here in Huntsville, AL called Larry's Pistol and Pawn. Two weeks ago they had 250 FMJ for $79.99. As many as you wanted; I got two. Next payday I went back and the price was back to the normal $99.99. Guess they either had it on sale or had mispriced it the first time.

kahrseye
05-08-2010, 06:50 AM
I regularly buy WWB at Wally World for about $34 per 100. If I ever see the Federal for the price stated I'd buy it immediately.

hsart
05-08-2010, 07:27 AM
I have given up trying to find any .45 at WalMart. There are four local Walmats here in SW Florida and I have not seen any in ages. Why do Wally Worlds in other parts of the country have it and others do not?? I can't imagine that one region has more of a need for ammo than another. Have always suspected that the sporting goods department employees are playing games with it. Am I paranoid?

wyntrout
05-08-2010, 02:49 PM
We seem to have 18 in the area and the numbers go up to 29, but I only see 18 on the map. That would take all day to run around checking and I don't know if you get good info on the phone. They say they have no clue as to when shipments will come in.
I can go check out D!cks and see if they still have the UMC .45 for $18.99 a box, get three boxes and get $10 off $50 purchase for military discount. That makes it about $16.75 out the door. Their darn coupons and rewards, etc., aren't good for ammo.:( I can't make a special trip just for that, though, adds gas costs.