PDA

View Full Version : Anyone reloading 380auto?

garyb
10-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Thought I'd ask, even though the answer will probably be a negative. If no responses...no problem. I'm thinking about picking up some dies for my wife's Bodyguard after deer season. I'll be getting my Knee replaced (old martial arts injuries) the end of this year and will have time between therapy to do some reloading. I have all the recipes in the manuals, but figured I'd hear first from those that do 380...maybe learn some things you may have discovered. We got a bucket full of spent brass to get started on and only about 500 rounds remaining in her to-be-shot inventory. Thanks.

Longitude Zero
10-07-2013, 02:21 PM
In my experience of over 45 years shooting/reloading the smaller calibers like 380 are the MOST FINICKY when it comes to ammo. The hassle is not worth it to me so in 380 I only use factory fresh ammo.

garyb
10-07-2013, 02:28 PM
I kind of wondered about that. I'll have to compare the price of ammo with what I need to reload and figure out if it's worth the finicking. Thanks Longitude.

downtownv
10-07-2013, 03:14 PM
That's the main reason why i never bought a 380. The reloading factor...

garyb
10-07-2013, 03:36 PM
I hear ya. I may still give it a try. Need to do a little research first. The post is the first step. Will check some prices out. Not in any hurry just yet.

kwh
10-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Reloaded for my Walther PP 45 years ago with the old Lee die set that used a hammer instead of a press. Used Red Dot powder the best I can remember. No particular problems.

Ikeo74
10-07-2013, 05:52 PM
I reload 380 and it is easy and well worth the time and effort. I do mine on a single stage press. 380 load as easy as 9mm Lugar. I don'r have my load data handy but I can get it and give you some suggestions in bullets and powder.

BEARDOG
10-07-2013, 06:09 PM
I reload for .380, its not any harder to reload then any other pistol cartridge.

I pretty much had to reload for my LCP when they came out .380 was very hard to buy.

Don't know exactly what info your looking for but...

I use Lee dies, finishing with their factory crimp die.

I use Missouri bullet 95 gr. HC round nose for inexpensive target practice.
http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=5&secondary=27

I also bought 500 102 gr Remington golden saber bullets from Midway. That way I can make close copies of my prefered factory loaded carry rd. for practice.

I use Bullseye for both loads.

I also ordered a couple bags of once fired brass (forget from where???)

I have not had to buy any more factory loaded ammo for the LCP since.

I would not see why you would have any trouble reloading .380, I say go for it!

I hope your knee surgery goes well for you! I'm afraid I am headed for the same thing someday.

Tilos
10-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Only when I miss one and it gets to the press when I'm loading 9:blushing:

wakajawaka
10-07-2013, 06:37 PM
...380 load as easy as 9mm Lugar....

This ^^^

Electraclyde
10-07-2013, 08:36 PM
I have loaded .380 for a Kel-Tek, Ruger LCP, Sig P238 and now a Kahr P380
I load Extreme 100 grain plated over 3.1 grs of Win 231
The only gun that does not like this combo is the Kahr.
If factory target ammo was always avaliable at resonable prices, I would not bother to reload the .380 because I do not shoot that caliber very much.
Right now, no one in my area has ANY factory ammo at all (.380)

Longitude Zero
10-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Right now, no one in my area has ANY factory ammo at all (.380)

In my area it is plentiful but not so much with 22LR. That is all but extinct.

downtownv
10-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Only when I miss one and it gets to the press when I'm loading 9:blushing:

Here I thought I was the only dummy!;)

muggsy
10-08-2013, 04:19 PM
I reload .380auto and it is no different than reloading any other pistol cartridge. I run Berry's plated 100 gr RNFB bullets with a 3.5 gr. charge of Power Pistol and CCI small pistol primers. My P380 eats them like a kids eat jelly beans.

DLButler
10-08-2013, 04:26 PM
I reload 380 all the time. I am actually waiting for a shipment from Berry's for another 1000. I have probably done in excess of 10000 since I started reloading two years ago. I'm cheap and the reloads are less than factory plus it gives me something to do when I am not shooting.

garyb
10-08-2013, 04:29 PM
I reload .380auto and it is no different than reloading any other pistol cartridge. I run Berry's plated 100 gr RNFB bullets with a 3.5 gr. charge of Power Pistol and CCI small pistol primers. My P380 eats them like a kids eat jelly beans.

Helpful. I've got 5 lbs of power pistol and bought it because it crosses over from 380 to 40. Sounds like it is not that big a deal. Thanks.

garyb
10-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Bit the bullet tonight and ordered what I need to get 380 auto going on the press. Compared 500 rounds of ammo to new Hornady dies, new shell plate, 500 Barry's plated bullets, 500 once fired brass, and a spare set of retainer springs that I have neglected to have on hand for much too long. I have the powder and primers on hand.
So hopefully everything will get shipped and I can start customizing some fun for the wife's gun. She still has a good supply of ammo on hand, so it took some convincing...but Got-Er-done. The equipment will more than pay for itself in the long run.

coonbait
11-08-2013, 06:48 PM
the only problem I have reloading 380's is every once in awhile I pinch my finger in the press when trying to keep the bullet straight with the case mouth when seating. fat fingers and small cases = ouch

peashooter
11-10-2013, 06:10 PM
I reload 380, and have had no problems at all with it.

One caveat. You're dealing with three to four grain powder charges, and most times there's only three or four tenths of a grain difference between starting and max loads. Most digital scales have a tenth of a grain tolerance, and that amount of potential error becomes significant in a small charge like this. Also, flake powders like Unique are very difficult to consistently meter in these small quantities and this adds to the potential amount of error in your charges. Use a good beam scale, and stick with the known proven easy-metering powders like W231 / HP38, Universal, etc.

muggsy
12-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Helpful. I've got 5 lbs of power pistol and bought it because it crosses over from 380 to 40. Sounds like it is not that big a deal. Thanks.

Gary we're living in parallel worlds. I'm going to have my left knee replaced soon. The right knee was done four years ago. I'm wishing you the best of luck with the surgery and a speedy rehab. I was driving myself to physical therapy in only 4 weeks and was as close to normal as I get in three months. Best thing since progressive reloaders were invented.

muggsy
04-11-2014, 06:11 AM
the only problem I have reloading 380's is every once in awhile I pinch my finger in the press when trying to keep the bullet straight with the case mouth when seating. fat fingers and small cases = ouch

You need to do it with a bit more flare, If you catch my drift, you won't catch your fingers. :)

bsmith712
04-11-2014, 06:14 AM
Yep. 380 is no problem to reload and the cost is well worth it. Factory 380 is way too costly.

100percent
04-11-2014, 06:51 AM
I reload 380. I use the same bullet as 9 mm, a Lee 105 grain swc. Basically I use 2 grains less powder than a 9mm. The cost is about the same, about 6 dollars a hundred.

I don't shoot that much 380. Usually keep factory loads in it for social use.

http://veloliner.com/loading/380938357.JPG

As far as feeding in a Kahr, don't know. I run mine in Ruger LCP and don't have a Kahr 380

Jollyrogers
04-12-2014, 06:32 AM
I load .380 for my wife's Bodyguard (and temporarily for a G42)… But I also reload 5.7x28mm for my FsN(s) and PS90… o I am a gotten for punishment. All on the old single stage Lee my dad got me when I was a kid.

One of things I learned the hard way… I was trying to find more projectiles to load the round and couldn't find .355 95 grain bullets anywhere, so I got a box of .356 Remington 88grain JHP from Midway based on everyone saying how it shot fine in a 380acp and they were "meant" for 380acp. I found out quickly that the extra .001" made a huge difference when seating the bullets. It created a ridge around the case. They would not drop into a case gauge (though they would go into the chamber fine), and I started worrying about if I should mic the barrel to make sure they would even pass through it. If they were just LRN, I wouldn't have worried. I ended up taper crimping them, and I shot them with a heavy glove on. They worked, but I now have 450 .356 88 grain bullets I won't use. Back to the Speer .355 TMJ 95 grainers or Berry's when I can find them.

Tilos
04-12-2014, 09:00 AM
I load .380 for my wife's Bodyguard (and temporarily for a G42)… But I also reload 5.7x28mm for my FsN(s) and PS90… o I am a gotten for punishment. All on the old single stage Lee my dad got me when I was a kid.

One of things I learned the hard way… I was trying to find more projectiles to load the round and couldn't find .355 95 grain bullets anywhere, so I got a box of .356 Remington 88grain JHP from Midway based on everyone saying how it shot fine in a 380acp and they were "meant" for 380acp. I found out quickly that the extra .001" made a huge difference when seating the bullets. It created a ridge around the case. They would not drop into a case gauge (though they would go into the chamber fine), and I started worrying about if I should mic the barrel to make sure they would even pass through it. If they were just LRN, I wouldn't have worried. I ended up taper crimping them, and I shot them with a heavy glove on. They worked, but I now have 450 .356 88 grain bullets I won't use. Back to the Speer .355 TMJ 95 grainers or Berry's when I can find them.
Just push them thru a LEE .355" size/lube die ($20), load/shoot 'em:D
I push every lead bullet I buy thru a sizing die :eek:

100percent
04-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Something tells me that you are bulging the case with the seating/crimping die or that you are seating the bullets too long.

At any rate the lightweight 380 bullet can make a devastating 9mm round at 13-1400 fps.

Jollyrogers
04-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Just push them thru a LEE .355" size/lube die ($20), load/shoot 'em:D
I push every lead bullet I buy thru a sizing die :eek:

Exactly what I did, but had a Redding die for this. It worked fine. Using .355 TMJ or JHP, no need for it.

Jollyrogers
04-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Something tells me that you are bulging the case with the seating/crimping die or that you are seating the bullets too long.

Loaded the same way with .355 vs .356 projectiles, I am not seating to deep, that I am sure of. Regardless, they do work, just something to note when loading for .380... I do not recommend using .356 jacketed bullets. Lead is a different story.

Yes, may use them for my 9 to see what I can do with them.

100percent
04-12-2014, 11:49 AM
I have swedged a 'fat' 380 completed round down by running it through a 38 special die (with the decapping pin removed).

Tilos
04-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Exactly what I did, but had a Redding die for this. It worked fine. Using .355 TMJ or JHP, no need for it.

I recommened the sizing die because YOU said this:
"but I now have 450 .356 88 grain bullets I won't use"

Now you are SAYING this:
"Exactly what I did, but had a Redding die for this. It worked fine."

So I need to ask, which is it, bullets you won't use, or bullets you resized and used ??:boink:
FYI, you can RESIZE jacketed bullets:D

I just thought I'd offer a suggestion, I'm confused now, but that's not unusual.
so nevermind:faint2:

CJB
04-12-2014, 08:14 PM
I can't comment on a specific load. Its been too long and the powders have all changed.

This much I'll tell ya: I loaded a humpty-jillion 380's back from the early 80's to mid 90's. This was commercial reloading, and the 380's were done on manual pull Dillon machines - RL1000 or maybe the model before it, going from memory. I never set those up for automatic operation as I thought the safeguards were inadequate for the production gain... but I digress.

Unlike the @#$@# 9mm's to reload, the 380's are almost nearly straight walled. That makes things much easier over 9mm in a mixed brass reloading environment. In the day, we had a custom made taper crimp die, which in a prodution environment using mixed brass, allows for quite a bit of case length variation without getting a while lot of crimp variation. The taper die is just a "straightener-outer", not really a crimp.

I think the loading itself was unremarkable. Our load was for our own production cast bullets made from our range lead, and was about 90g, which we loaded fairly hot. Thing to remember is most 380s are light, and have strong springs. That requires the use of stout ammo to operate the actions.

All in all, the 9mm was much less forgiving than the 380 (or any other round for that matter....).

I'd not sweat it. Once you find a load your pistol likes and will digest well.... just keep it going.

Jollyrogers
04-13-2014, 07:38 AM
I recommened the sizing die because YOU said this:
"but I now have 450 .356 88 grain bullets I won't use"

Now you are SAYING this:
"Exactly what I did, but had a Redding die for this. It worked fine."

So I need to ask, which is it, bullets you won't use, or bullets you resized and used ??:boink:
FYI, you can RESIZE jacketed bullets:D

I just thought I'd offer a suggestion, I'm confused now, but that's not unusual.
so nevermind:faint2:
LOL. Yea, so I realized what happened, and at the time those .356 projectiles is all I had or could find. I ran the ones I was working up through a dedicated crimp for the 380, and it got them where I needed, so loaded the rest to have a box of 50. They worked, but it was a PITA for me to do so (IMO). Since then I have acquired a lot of 95grn .355 so will use them.

All I was trying to say was the .355 jacketed are a lot easier to deal with then .356 for the .380acp. Nothing else. I fully understand they can be used, I just think it is a PITA to do so and wouldn't use or buy them again unless I was desperate. Feel free to buy all the .356 jacketed projectiles you want to load .380 and enjoy.

Tilos
04-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Resizing allows me a one bullet inventory/stock for 38/357/9mm/380
But that's just me,
:D

twowheels
04-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Yes. I load it given the difficulty of finding factory ammo and the cost of it when you can find it. I bought 2500 cases and have loaded 1000 berry plated 90 gr RN over 3.2 grain titegroup and CCI primers. They're pretty hot 380 loads but that is what my CW380 seems to like. My sig 232 also eats them up. I load on my Dillon 650 with Dillon dies. Easy, cheap and I far and away prefer my own reloads in all calibers to inconsistent and expensive factory loads, with the exception of SD ammo. Given what I have saved in loading my own 380, the dies etc. have already paid for themselves in the first 1000 rounds.

jocko
04-16-2014, 03:06 PM
if it works for u, then taht is all that matters. Nice loaded that Dillon 650.. I guess I just never realy considerd any 380 as a range gun. I liked my P380 but once it got right and I found the right defense ammo it ceased to be my range gun. I don't reload so 380 range time is expensive compared to 9mm also.

twowheels
04-18-2014, 01:06 PM
I hear you jocko. As I'm still trying to get comfortable with the cw 380, I am glad that I have lots of quality and inexpensive ammo to run in it as well as in my sig 232, which is as reliable as a hammer but pretty large for a 380.

I think I'm going to hit the range again today with 100-200 rounds of 380 and the cw. I'll probably also take some of my latest batch of 45 loads and my sig 220 (I'm confident in the CW45 and don't need to test it today), and some 9mm and my sig 938 which I've been working on.

twowheels
04-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Back from the range: Sig 220--100%; Sig 938--100%; CW380--numerous stovepipes. It's going up for sale this evening. I'm done with it.

100percent
04-18-2014, 05:57 PM
Hand loads too short for the gun? Did they pass the plunk test.

Jollyrogers
04-18-2014, 05:58 PM
I'm looking for one, but prefer that it run. What loads are you shooting through it, and how many are through it?

garyb
04-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Bit the bullet tonight and ordered what I need to get 380 auto going on the press. Compared 500 rounds of ammo to new Hornady dies, new shell plate, 500 Barry's plated bullets, 500 once fired brass, and a spare set of retainer springs that I have neglected to have on hand for much too long. I have the powder and primers on hand.
So hopefully everything will get shipped and I can start customizing some fun for the wife's gun. She still has a good supply of ammo on hand, so it took some convincing...but Got-Er-done. The equipment will more than pay for itself in the long run.

Got everything I need to get started loading for the 380. Just returned from our annual trip to FL in our Class A to visit the kids and grand kids. It was nice to miss most of the NY winter this year. Spent 2+ months in the sun. Hope spring arrives soon. Just had more snow a few days ago.

I still have not started reloading for the 380. Wife and I have about 500 rounds of ammo to shoot up, but we are busy getting spring chores done now. IDPA started back up and turkey season starts up May 1st. I'll spend most mornings chasing that big Tom gobbler around in May. I don't see the 380 dies going into the Hornady LNL Autoprogressive until mid summer, after we get some projects done and shoot up some of the 380 ammo we have on hand. Will let you know how the loading goes later. Don't really foresee any problems. Happy Easter to all.

DLButler
04-19-2014, 08:27 AM
Sounds good. I would feel like I am out of ammo if I get down to 500 rounds. I try not to go below 2000 of every caliber I reload except shotgun. I have decided not to continue reloading shotgun as I don't shot them often enough to save much. Good luck on your turkeys and reloads.

garyb
04-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Sounds good. I would feel like I am out of ammo if I get down to 500 rounds. I try not to go below 2000 of every caliber I reload except shotgun. I have decided not to continue reloading shotgun as I don't shot them often enough to save much. Good luck on your turkeys and reloads.

Sounds like a good quantity of ammo to have on hand. I've often thought of loading more to have on hand, but I am still tinkering with loads for my 40 cals. I expect to do likewise for the 380 when I get around to start loading for it.

Have not seen any Toms around my food plots yet. I have had a couple hens around every day and the neighbor tells me there is a big Tom in the area....so I am optimistic. I've taken the big Tom contest in our local sportsmen club 8 of the past 10 yrs we've had the competition. I didn't hunt them last yr because I was building an elaborate elevated tower blind on a brush lot between two of my food plots. I needed a place to take my grandsons when they come up to hunt with PopPop. They can be little wiggle worms in the stand, so an enclosed stand is quieter, warmer and more comfortable with them. Being Fl boys, they are not used to the NY cold. When my grandson was 4, I shot a little spike on opening day. I would normally have let it pass, but he was so excited, he claimed it as HIS deer. When I shot, it fell and he jumped into my lap and hugged me yelling "You got him PopPop, you got the buck!" What an exciting morning for both of us....all over a little spike. I mounted it for him and it hangs on his wall at his home. He named it "Little Horn"...his first buck. For such a little buck, it is a day we will always remember having shared together. He still talks about that day. It is all about he memories.

AIRret
04-19-2014, 12:29 PM
garyb, what a great story………..Thanks for sharing.

I've already told the story to several family members who hunt!

garyb
04-19-2014, 04:47 PM
Yea, thanks AirRet. That little guy is all about hunting and mountain men stuff. Loves Jeremiah Johnson (movie). On his fifth Christmas I gave him a .32cal percussion rifle(told him I got the Hawken from Jeremiah for him), a fully stocked possibles bag (I tanned from a deer hide), powder horn. You'd of thought he won the lottery. He will sit and make stories up about how he killed a bear the killed Hatchet Jack...from his back yard gym set. He's a BS'er like his dad. All about hunting stories. Gotta love a kid like that.

AIRret
04-19-2014, 05:13 PM
That's great, I'll have to pass that along as well!

"possibles bag" I haven't heard that one in a couple years!

gun papa
04-20-2014, 09:21 PM
I have reloaded .380 on a Dillon XL650 for just under two decades for the CZ83, PPKS, and now for the P380. 95gr TMJ I find it a pleasing cartridge to load. I gauge all of my brass, before and after. I use the same load that I have used for years, which is the bottom of the Lyman scale for WW231.

Everything I have used them in loves them.

The CZ83, while big and bulky by today's standards, is a pleasure to shoot, accurate, and likes the 95gr. TMJ, as well as the 100gr LRN. It is an unjammable gun. holds 13 rds, and has ambi safety, mag release, and choice of conventional double action or 1911 style cocked and locked, single action.

100percent
04-20-2014, 09:37 PM
Gun Papa
Would agree with you about the CZ. Mine is a Makarov caliber but otherwise the same. Does yours have the smoothbore? I have not been able to equal factory loads, darn shame.

gun papa
04-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Gun Papa
Would agree with you about the CZ. Mine is a Makarov caliber but otherwise the same. Does yours have the smoothbore? I have not been able to equal factory loads, darn shame.

100percent,
My CZ83 is a conventional bored barrel, not the polygon of the CZ82. That turned out great when I was loading 100gr. LRN. I bought it pre internet from an add in the Shotgun News in 1995. I knew nothing of the gun at that time. I bought it on a whim to placate my desire, as I was waiting for 2 Brits to show up back at my range with the Walther PPKS for sale that I had passed up. I paid $199 new for the CZ.

It is a great gun for a person to learn on, as it is so comfortable in the hand, in .380 it is so mildly recoiling, and its ability to function double/single, or single action 1911 style, allows the simultanious teaching of those two action styles. The double stack mags make it easy to load, and the gun is large enough to manipulate easily, but not too big. Just a fun, durable gun.

As for the unjammable part, I have fed thousands of factory and handloads through her. I have even loaded a dud 95gr. TMJ bullet with the base of the bullet outward, so you have a flat surface going up the ramp. Even slow hand cycling, it still fed it. I am pretty sure it would feed a cynder block it you could get it in the magazine.

I got away from carrying it when I got the Glock 19,

I subsequently did end up with the Walther PPKS. The owner shot poorly with it, and his crazy Sister in Law got her hands on it and shot at him with it, missing him. He was happy to be rid of it, and I was happy to have it at $300.
It too was a great gun. You had to learn to slingshot the slide sharply or a jam up the steep ramp would occur, but once chambered she ran like a watch. It liked light 95gr. bullets, and would easily punch out the 10ring all day long at 15 yards.

Sadly, the gun was stolen.

pbagley
05-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Reloading .380ACP - not difficult at all, about the same as 9mm. I've used the Berry's plated 100gr RN and the 100gr. Hollow Base RN. The hollow base bullet seems to be more accurate in my mouse gun, and so far has been better with 700X than SR7625 or Power Pistol. I hope that helps.

TheLastDaze
08-28-2014, 03:33 PM
I load 380... why wouldn't you?? its a BIG savings.... I've loaded about 1000 rounds of berrys 100gn with CFE pistol powder......

just got a shipment in of Extreme FP loaded about 100 and will be shooting it this weekend to see how it performs...

380 cost more then factory 9mm and I'm loading 9mm for around 11-.12cents a round.. haven't done the numbers on 380 but since I'm using less powder it would be safe to say around 9-10cents a round... where are you going to buy 1000 380acp for $100??

muggsy
08-28-2014, 03:52 PM
I reload .380 auto and if I can do it any one else with half a brain can do it, too. Hmmm, I'm not sure that came out right. Anywho, my powder of choice is power pistol. Goes bang every time it's tried.

TheLastDaze
08-29-2014, 02:24 PM
I reload .380 auto and if I can do it any one else with half a brain can do it, too. Hmmm, I'm not sure that came out right. Anywho, my powder of choice is power pistol. Goes bang every time it's tried.

yep that would be me.... so see, you too can do it !! savings alone was enough to drive me, besides it really isn't any harder to load than anything else... and for the most part cheaper

kwh
09-07-2014, 10:06 AM
.380 ammo is still hard to find and expensive. Made up 100 practice rounds this weekend with Lee Loader and powder measure. Lead round nose, Unique powder. No problems.

kwh
09-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Went to range this pm using my above reloads in my Kahr CW380= 100%.

GROTMAN
09-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Kwh..do you go to the range on Springs road?

kwh
09-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Yes, I am a member.^

GROTMAN
09-09-2014, 07:34 PM
I had a family membership there a couple of years ago. Ammo got too hard to come by and expensive when it could be found. I dont get there often enough to renew a membership.
Only going out there about every other month or so.
Did get out there today about 12:30 for an hour. Had the place pretty much to myself. Maybe we can hook up out there someday and you can learn me something.:D

kwh
09-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Sounds fine. I have no special days or times when I go , still work full time. Was there today about 6:oo pm and it was still empty,usually they are pretty busy. I am not very computer literate,but if you can help guide me we can contact each other by e-mail.