View Full Version : Greetings

nickE10mm
10-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Hey all ...

Just thought I'd introduce myself here. I'm a longtime shooter, hunter and reloader who just finally realized he needed a nice, COMPACT, 9mm for CCW and loafin around the woods and range. What better model than the CM9 which I have on layaway! :) I'll be picking her up in the next couple of weeks.

I'm mainly a .44mag and 10mm shooter, but I've owned ALL calibers of handguns including several .45 ACP's a .40 and a few 9mm's. The last "pocket" sized 9mm I owned was the Kel-Tec PF9 which was light, easy to carry but hard on the hands... and not very accurate.

Looking forward to what I've read about the CM9 with its great trigger and soft handling.

I'm thinking about either a CB MiniTuck IWB, Remora no clip or the N8(2) (Nate Squared) IWB as my first choice for CM9 carry. I already own a CB Minituck for my G29SF but thought I'd try something new for the Kahr since its quite a bit smaller of a pistol.

Anyways, just saying hello and I can't wait!

Cheers,
Nick

jocko
10-10-2013, 06:17 PM
welcome aboard. spend some time on the kahr tech secion anbd read the propper prepping thread. lotos of tips there and visit wyn's newbie thread. a ton of tips there. If u do alittle pre prepp on ur cm9 u willnever regret it. greatgun no better trigger, takes awhile to get more accurate do to that looooong but so so smooth trigger. Practice close, stay 7 yards, gets good there. It is what it is a pure defense gun.

ask any question here, we are a likealbe group with alot of guys here with a ton of kahr knowledge...

I'm here to help, so if you will just send me a $100 I can get u immediate senior status, and I can get you 20-% discount at any Holiday Inn, and until you get senior status on this fourm u are not allowed to have an opinion, but I can also get that taken care of for anutter $50:Amflag2::typing:

codegeek
10-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Welcome from Woodstock GA! Good choice on the CM9. Me loves mine.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 4

nickE10mm
10-10-2013, 07:13 PM
welcome aboard. spend some time on the kahr tech secion anbd read the propper prepping thread. lotos of tips there and visit wyn's newbie thread. a ton of tips there. If u do alittle pre prepp on ur cm9 u willnever regret it. greatgun no better trigger, takes awhile to get more accurate do to that looooong but so so smooth trigger. Practice close, stay 7 yards, gets good there. It is what it is a pure defense gun.

ask any question here, we are a likealbe group with alot of guys here with a ton of kahr knowledge...

I'm here to help, so if you will just send me a $100 I can get u immediate senior status, and I can get you 20-% discount at any Holiday Inn, and until you get senior status on this fourm u are not allowed to have an opinion, but I can also get that taken care of for anutter $50:Amflag2::typing:

Ahhh ... capitalism :)

Bawanna
10-10-2013, 07:17 PM
But wait, that's not all if you act in the next 12 minutes he'll include the official Jocko decoder ring (not available in any store). Plus 3, that's right 3 coupons to cancel out deliveries of equestrian body parts, (namely heads). Think Italian Mafia here.

Operators are standing by........................

Seriously, well that was the serious part but welcome and yes capitalism is alive and well.

warbird1
10-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Welcome to the forum from the Heart of Dixie. I too love that Kahr trigger.

RevRay
10-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Welcome, I hope you find what you're looking for here. I'm not one of guys here with a ton of kahr knowledge ... but I am a part of the a likeable group ... just saying.

chrish
10-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Wow, for a mere $100, jocko can make you old and crabby (senior status). impressive.

AIRret
10-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Welcome aboard, you'll find great people who are willing to help.
What do you hunt and what calibers do you reload?

eireguy
10-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Welcome

wyntrout
10-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Welcome to the forum, Nick.

Here's a lot of other info while you're waiting:

Welcome to the Kahrtalk forum supported by K a h r Arms.
Here are a few essential links and things to do BEFORE you take your new pistol to the range, and ESPECIALLY BEFORE taking it apart and trying to re-assemble it! The Kahr is a different design… 6-7 unique patents cover the Kahrs. I’m not trying to imply that you don’t know anything about guns, but many don’t know anything about the Kahrs and some of the things you can do to damage or cause malfunctions of your new, or new-to-you Kahr pistol.

First, if you don’t have a manual, yet, or one didn’t come with your pistol, you can view it and/or download the pdf file here:
http://www.kahr.com/PDF/kahrmanual.pdf

Please watch one of these videos FIRST! These videos can point out possible problem areas and emphasize correct procedures!
Take down and re-assembly videos:
T, TP, CW, P, & PM/CM Series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=G2cZgVg_SwA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G2cZgVg_SwA)
MK series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...mSCnIOaUk#t=0s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zXmSCnIOaUk#t=0s)
K series:
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-K9-Elite.asp

There are many links on fixing problems listed in several places… under the New Member or Kahr Tech sub-forums. To start, a very good one:

Proper Prepping of a new Kahr:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14748

A very handy one is the Kahr Lubrication Diagram:
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14750

Many of your questions can be answered in these areas and you can learn how your Kahr works and not damage it with improper handling.

Another great resource for information on Kahrs... Archives of Magazine and Internet Reviews for Kahr pistols by industry experts. They test these pistols and report on their views and the ammo they tested in it. This is a good way to find ammo that might fit your needs along with accuracy and feeding in the pistol... usually from a rest with velocity and energy, as well as penetration and expansion sometimes... very informational.

http://www.kahr.com/product-reviews.asp

Frequently asked questions: http://www.kahr.com/faq.asp?

One very important bit of advice: Hold the Kahr pistol firmly when firing OR CHAMBERING a round. These compact pistols need all of the force they can get from the slide to get a round into the chamber successfully. If you don't hold the pistol firmly, part of the needed momentum is transferred to MOVING THE PISTOL and the top round will DIVE and jam into the right side of the feed ramp. The weak hand, over hand rack method gives the best grip and a firm rack will give you the best chance at chambering a round.

Use the weak hand fingers over the slide(clear of the ejection port), thumb along the slide and pointing to the rear. Use the gun hand to simultaneously firmly push the gun as you give a vigorous rack with the weak hand and cleanly release the slide as it reaches the rear limit and is "snatched" from the weak hand. This approximates a real rack from firing and beats the slide release method WHEN executed properly. Much more strength can be exerted when this is done closer to the body.

Here's a video on that. The first part is what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hjLbFOw8sow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hjLbFOw8sow)

There are many helpful members here most of the time who might be able to help you, but as anywhere, there are many opinions and not all are correct. Be mindful of this before doing anything drastic to modify your pistol!

Wynn:)
Aka wyntrout

PS: I keep thinking of stuff to add and help new members... and am trying to cover most of the popular subjects. Yes, it's repetitious to many, but possibly not to all new members. This approach is easier than having to look up every tidbit for each new member or question that arises. :)

PPS: If you get the CB MiniTuck, all of the Kahrs except for the P380 will fit it. I use mine for the PM9, P9, K9, P40, and PM45. I use a Looper Kydex-reinforced gun belt and the tension holds all of the Kahrs in place.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/Every%20Day%20Carry%2009202012/IMG_3252_zps7fabe6cb.jpg

My gear starts at post #6 here: http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14938&highlight=EDC+Picture+Thread

I have two of the horsehide MiniTucks and love them. I have a regular black one for the P380, but have several others that I use for it as well.

downtownv
10-11-2013, 02:20 AM
Welcome from the Jersey Shore.

C.O.
10-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Welcome

garyb
10-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Welcome to the PM/CM line and the forum, from a fellow bow and gun hunter, former bowyer (bow builder) and current reloader.

nickE10mm
10-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the welcome, people! ...and great info, wyntrout! I'll be reading all of those articles/reviews for sure... most everything else I know already. Great stuff about the magazine check-out, too.

This CM9 will be replacing my current CCW, a Glock 29SF, whom I lovingly refer to as "Chunk". It will be nice to have something quite a bit thinner and lighter, woohoo! And a new cartridge to reload, too ;)

Thanks!

wyntrout
10-11-2013, 01:14 PM
I have a G23C... just got into Glocks this year with the threat of them being banned... or the mags, anyhow. Hve a Gen 4 G19 for Wifey, G23C and G21 SF for me, as well as a Mech Tech G21 SF based carbine, the latter still unfired.

The Glocks are just too thick for me to CCW wearing shorts and Polos all of the time. I just use my 5 polymer Kahrs and a "hi-cap" Kahr reload.

If there were a Gen 4 G27C, I would probably try that... and may some day get one and add a ported barrel... probably still too thick, though.

I may have to replace my Mag-na-ported P40's XS Big Dot sights with Trijicons so that it will be my favorite EDC again.:rolleyes:

Wynn:D

nickE10mm
10-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Welcome aboard, you'll find great people who are willing to help.
What do you hunt and what calibers do you reload?

Hey there,

I almost exclusively handgun hunt anymore .... and I hunt whitetail deer, squirrel, coyote, crow and armadillo.

I reload 10mm and .44 mag right now... more to follow but these are the two I load a LOT of.

You?

kwh
10-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Another thought. TheCM9 carries well in my pocket. I carry a CW 45 on my belt.

nickE10mm
10-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Another thought. TheCM9 carries well in my pocket. I carry a CW 45 on my belt.

I'm not fat at all, but my mother endowed me with a big butt! Lol so I am limited as to what I can carry on my waist.

I'm looking at N82 Pro and a Remora for now. Time will tell how many other blasted holsters I will buy. You all know the drill. ;)

nickE10mm
10-11-2013, 08:12 PM
I like appendix carry but have yet to see anything that really works for that. Looking at an Galco Ankle Lite too

nickE10mm
11-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Okay, paperwork is filled out as of Sunday... but, as what happens on about 50% of my purchases, I got a NICS delay. Hopefully I get the call today or tomorrow and I can come swoop up my new baby. Got my Remora holster a week or so ago and REALLY think I'm gonna like it. Next holster (if the Remora has any shortcomings) will be a PJHolster IWB Belt Clip. Otherwise, just dies, bullets, powder, brass, ammo and FUN!

Can't wait. Getting closer now....

CJCM9
11-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Welcome.

NICS delay? You hiding something? j/k

What did you buy?

nickE10mm
11-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Nope, not hiding a thing. :)

NIB Kahr CM9, woohoo!

CJCM9
11-25-2013, 04:34 PM
My last NICS check took about 2 minutes.
I don't even want to talk about the wait back in January! 20 days!

nickE10mm
11-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Ironically I just got the call from the FFL. He just received a PROCEED from NICS. Tomorrow is the day!!

nickE10mm
11-26-2013, 06:39 AM
I gotta tell you guys .... I'd be lying if I said I wasn't super excited for 9am to come! Gonna bail outta work at 8:50am and be at Cabelas when the doors open. Come herrrrreeeeee little baby!!!!

nickE10mm
11-26-2013, 06:40 AM
Hmmmmm will it be my Remora or my SmartCarry?? Eeny meeny meinie mooohhhh

garyb
11-26-2013, 07:03 AM
Welcome. You'll like it in the Remora (leather lined).

nickE10mm
11-26-2013, 07:06 AM
Welcome. You'll like it in the Remora (leather lined).

Yea, from just having the Remora (and no pistol to go into it) for the last week or so, I'm thinking that I might not even NEED any other holster... the easy off and on is a HUGE plus for me and the thing simply sticks in one place, easy to change cant or position and works in pocket, too. I will probably eventually get a PJHolster IWB but the wait is so long right now I might wait a bit. SmartCarry would only be for places where detection would be "very bad" for one reason for another.

CJCM9
11-26-2013, 07:13 AM
Don't rush off to the range without doing a through cleaning. These things seem like they are dunked in a vat of motor oil. If its not cleaned well, you will have failures!

I used almost a full can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner on mine and it runs great.

There is a sticky http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521

nickE10mm
11-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Don't rush off to the range without doing a through cleaning. These things seem like they are dunked in a vat of motor oil. If its not cleaned well, you will have failures!

I used almost a full can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner on mine and it runs great.

There is a sticky http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521

Yea, the guy who let me handle it at Cabelas got a fresh one for me from the back room and when he pulled it out was like "yuck" and wiped it down.... then, he put it back in the bag and into layaway for me. I handled the pistol again the other day while making a payment and it was covered again. lol.

SOOOO...... YES, I will be stripped it and cleaning it and, if I deem it necessary, fluffing it a bit before I go hit the range.

Can't wait!

Anyone have any feeding issues with the Barnes all copper bullets. I think I have some 115 or 124gr defense loads and they sure look LONG! Anyone?

nickE10mm
11-26-2013, 08:50 AM
ANNNNNNND the deed is done. Its mine! Woohoo! Can't wait to give her some TLC when I get home tonight. Bing bang bing bang!

nickE10mm
11-26-2013, 12:40 PM
So, I went out on lunch to inspect my new toy a little closer and it looks like there is a crack in the frame on the left side, a more or less straight line running diagonally to the rear and downward. I took off the slide and it appears that the crack terminates in the slide stop notch somewhere. It's definitely a crack, I'll say that. I doubt it would interfere with functioning but I definitely want it corrected. I called Cabelas and they said to bring it in and they would probably be able to swap me out but that they would have to inspect it. They have plenty more in stock so it looks like I'll be heading back there after work to (hopefully) get a replacement.

Here are a few pics I took...

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh585/nickE10mm/IMG_7637.jpg (http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/nickE10mm/media/IMG_7637.jpg.html)
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh585/nickE10mm/IMG_7638.jpg (http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/nickE10mm/media/IMG_7638.jpg.html)

nickE10mm
11-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Cabelas agreed to swap me out but I had to do another background check and I was again delayed at NICS... sheesh! Anyways, I'll have my fresh, UNCRACKED CM9 in a day or two. The saga continues....

CJCM9
11-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Good catch on the crack. Well worth the wait.

nickE10mm
11-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Welp, the beginning of my four day weekend is off to a good start.

Called Cabelas before I left work (on a whim, since they are supposed to call you RIGHT when they get a PROCEED from NICS, ahem) and the guy was like, yep, the PROCEED came through today, so come pick up your pistol.

This pistol also has a nicer trigger and the empty mag shoots out when I hit the mag button. Nice. Oh, and no frame crack. :) Can't wait to run a few hundred rounds through this puppy. I should probably order another 6rd mag or two tonight.... or at least on Black Friday. One ain't enough...

YAY! I'm a happy guy now.... don't have to wait until after the holiday, now, either.
Now, I just have to deal with the in-laws who arrive in the morning for JUST a few days and I'm home free! :)

Carry on!

nickE10mm
11-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Ordered another 6rd mag from MidwayUSA.... Been carrying this little pistol for the last couple days over the turkey day break and, I tell ya, she carries like a dream in a regular Remora IWB. This little guy is gonna get a BUNCH of carry miles on it! Can't wait to wring her out hopefully Sunday or next weekend.

Whoop!

nickE10mm
12-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Gonna be taking my unfired (but much carried) CM9 to the range in the morning ... Gonna run 120 rounds through it (all I have) and i can't wait!!

Gonna be a colllld range day. Outdoor range, should be about 15 degrees in the morning.

DeaconKC
12-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Good luck and good shooting!

nickE10mm
12-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Going to to range for SURE this Saturday. Things came up last weekend and I couldn't shoot.

In the bright side I got some more ammo and some 124gr HST at Cabelas so i'm in a little but better shape. :)

nickE10mm
12-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Took the often-carried but never-fired CM9 to the outdoor range today (during a pouring rain shower I might add) and put about 170 rounds through her.

I tell ya, I REALLY LIKE THIS LITTLE PISTOL! FARRRR from the painful experience my Keltec PF9 was to shoot, the little CM9 is quite comfy to fire! Its also, as all of the reviews have said, VERY accurate. In fact, I was only shooting at 7y but could regularly put the rounds in the X-ring when I took just a little time.

In the 170 rounds or so of mostly UMC and PMC 155gr FMJ target loads that I fired, the only malfunction I had was the slide locking open after three shots of a mag. When I popped out the mag, it looked like the round had been nudged forward in the mag (probably due to a looser hold during the last round having been fired)... and the nost of that round probably interfered with the slide stop.

Anyways, I never happened again and I'm not too concerned as this can happen with almost any pistol with a slide stop (think: 1911). I'm gonna keep on firing it for now as it only happened once. If it becomes an issue I might take a file and emery paper to the interference area but for now its fine. I shot the gun two handed, one handed and with varying grips. I could not get it to "jam". I also changed from slide-stop release to slingshotting the slide and everything worked fine. This puppy feeds prettttty slick. I love it.

I also fired a couple mags each of my two carry rounds I currently have... 147gr TAC-XP and 124gr HST's. I found the 147gr TAC-XP's FAR more accurate but they were both reliable.

Took her home and cleaned her up and she's now sitting back in the Remora IWB again with 6+1 - 147gr Barnes Tac-XP rounds loaded. My backup mag has 6 rounds of Federal 124gr HST.

I'm taking a trip to see family on Christmas eve via plane and I will be bringing her along with me. My permit is good in every state I will be in, as well.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday!

Nick

ParabellumJ
12-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Glad to hear you like the CM9. One thing about your post struck me as odd though. You said it's often carried but never fired. Just curious why? Kahr pistols are extremely tight out if the box and Kahr themselves recommend a 300 round break-in before the gun can be considered reliable. I know for me I won't carry a gun until it goes 500 rounds without a malfunction, and I carry a Glock which is made to loose tolerances and generally run 100% out if the box. Seems odd to trust your life to something without verifying it even works properly.

jocko
12-21-2013, 04:54 PM
good point. TRUST BUT VERIFY Just sayin

My opinion only but for me 500 rounds is way to much for me to say. It is also easy for shooter error to happen in that 500 rounds.One knows when he can trust his own gun, so for me roundcount is in the mind of the owner, not a definitive number.

The 501st round could malfunction , we really have little control of some things in the workings of a gun.. Just sayin

nickE10mm
12-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Glad to hear you like the CM9. One thing about your post struck me as odd though. You said it's often carried but never fired. Just curious why? Kahr pistols are extremely tight out if the box and Kahr themselves recommend a 300 round break-in before the gun can be considered reliable. I know for me I won't carry a gun until it goes 500 rounds without a malfunction, and I carry a Glock which is made to loose tolerances and generally run 100% out if the box. Seems odd to trust your life to something without verifying it even works properly.

You're right about the need to test reliability of a piece before trusting your life to it, however, my G29sf is too big to carry how I need to carry it so I've been carrying my CM9 even before having fired it... since having an untested pistol was more important to me that having NO pistol. I didn't mean to have waited so long before firing it but we just got news about a family member having cancer and I've been traveling and busy with work and everything else I hadn't been able to get to the range until today. I normally shoot every weekend so I'm not worried about getting rounds through it. I'm just glad to have found a pistol I can ALWAYS have on me rather than going unarmed much of the time.

So yes, point taken and agreed, but due to my extenuating circumstances, that's how it went.

That being said, I'm glad to have been able to shoot it today, even if I was much later than I wanted.

nickE10mm
12-21-2013, 04:57 PM
good point. TRUST BUT VERIFY Just sayin

Yep, agreed.

ParabellumJ
12-21-2013, 05:02 PM
You're right about the need to test reliability of a piece before trusting your life to it, however, my G29sf is too big to carry how I need to carry it so I've been carrying my CM9 even before having fired it... since having an untested pistol was more important to me that having NO pistol. I didn't mean to have waited so long before firing it but we just got news about a family member having cancer and I've been traveling and busy with work and everything else I hadn't been able to get to the range until today. I normally shoot every weekend so I'm not worried about getting rounds through it. I'm just glad to have found a pistol I can ALWAYS have on me rather than going unarmed much of the time.

So yes, point taken and agreed, but due to my extenuating circumstances, that's how it went.

That being said, I'm glad to have been able to shoot it today, even if I was much later than I wanted.

No worries. Life sometimes gets in the way. Your CM will most likely prove to be a reliable pistol for concealed carry. Just keep an eye on those magazine followers. They seems to have a propensity to break from striking the feed ramp. Happened to both my CM and PM.

nickE10mm
12-21-2013, 05:04 PM
No worries. Life sometimes gets in the way. Your CM will most likely prove to be a reliable pistol for concealed carry. Just keep an eye on those magazine followers. They seems to have a propensity to break from striking the feed ramp. Happened to both my CM and PM.

Yep, and I've read all about the follower fiasco. I have my eyes on 'em.... although from my rudimentary tests, my ramp isn't even touching the followers. But I've got my eye on em'.........:amflag: