View Full Version : Loose mag?

onemule
10-11-2013, 01:33 PM
I bought one five round and three six round Kahr brand mags for my CM40. All of these as well as the five round mag that came with the gun have about 1/16" of play when inserted into the mag well, whether with or without rounds loaded. Is this amount of play normal?

wyntrout
10-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Yes, that's pretty normal. You need a bit of over travel to make sure the mag catch engages the retention notch securely.

Wynn:)

onemule
10-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Yes, that's pretty normal. You need a bit of over travel to make sure the mag catch engages the retention notch securely.

Thanks! I was wondering if that slop was why the bullets sometimes get stuck on the leading edge of the barrel ramp and lock the slide open. This has been a real problem, especially with the first round in the mag. I'm not sure what's causing that to happen, but it's pretty disconcerting - not the kind of thing you want happening in a carry gun. Any thoughts on that?

wyntrout
10-11-2013, 04:15 PM
You still need a good firm grip on the pistol because if the pistol moves when chambering a round, you're losing some of the momentum needed with these tight, compact Kahrs. It takes a really clean release... no riding the slide, either. It will get better as the pistol breaks in and some of the "tightness" is gone. The frame's metal rails and the grooves on the slide need lubrication, too. I use Tetra oil and grease mostly, on those.

jocko
10-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks! I was wondering if that slop was why the bullets sometimes get stuck on the leading edge of the barrel ramp and lock the slide open. This has been a real problem, especially with the first round in the mag. I'm not sure what's causing that to happen, but it's pretty disconcerting - not the kind of thing you want happening in a carry gun. Any thoughts on that?

happening when using the slide release leveror when trying to hand rack the gun???

check your follower to see if it could be rubbing on the mag relesse button, which is in that area of round 1-2. Kapr prepp thread tells u how to look for that and the 5 minute fix

onemule
10-11-2013, 06:44 PM
happening when using the slide release leveror when trying to hand rack the gun???

check your follower to see if it could be rubbing on the mag relesse button, which is in that area of round 1-2. Kapr prepp thread tells u how to look for that and the 5 minute fix

A good rack generally works. I don't recall it's not working. But I've been trying to use the slide release lever since that's what the manual calls for. That's mainly when I have the problem.

I'll check the mag release button. Thanks for the tip.