PDA

View Full Version : MK9 Trigger pivot pin broken

empfgd
05-15-2010, 05:15 PM
I purchased an MK9 several months ago and cannot be any more happy. I have shot over 300 rounds through it and only 1 FTE during the break in period. I was inspecting my pistol today before I went to the range and noticed that the trigger pivot pin seems to be broken about 1/8" from being flush with frame, like it was before the last time I shot it. I can order a replacement pin, it is not very expensive, but was wondering if this is a common problem or a sign of a more serious problem with my pistol? I carry my gun daily, so it gets handled a lot but it is not banged around or mistreated to the point where I think that could be the issue. I took a couple pictures, but the quality is not the best on my cell phone camera. I will talk with Kahr about this problem but to me, this forum seems to have some of the most knowledgeable people out there so I thought I would see what you all have to say. Thanks!

Bawanna
05-15-2010, 06:17 PM
What's it look like on the other side. Looks like it might have just drifted towards the other side and could be just pushed back over and centered. I can't imagine it's broken. Should just be centered up unless I'm missing something. The pciture is just a bit hard to really see good. Trigger still pivots like it should?

empfgd
05-16-2010, 09:08 AM
The trigger still pulls just like it should but the pin is flush on the opposite side. I am trying to work on getting clearer pictures that better shows the problem, but the pin is without a doubt broken, the end is not smooth, but has a "rough" kind of look to it not smooth the way it looked before it broke. I will work on a clearer picture.
Thanks.

jocko
05-16-2010, 09:20 AM
I know your not gonna do this but if it was mine, I would leave it alone. It looks to me like definitely the end of it has broken off and no longer flush. It is not moving as you stated and other than being flush, it is OK also.

If it is new, definitely call kahr and if you can send your photos via email to kahr so that IAN can see it also. He is the man to talk with for sure. I would say not to try to attempt to install this yourself, as it is under warranty, so if you can't live with it that way, let kahr fix it ...

I will PM u also.

quikduk
05-17-2010, 09:08 AM
You are right and the end did break off...but it appears to have broken off cleanly. If it functions properly, I would tend to leave it alone...if I weren't so AR...sorry Bawanna45cal..."anal retentive" i.e. too detail oriented...:rolleyes:

That being said, I would replace it (just because I AM AR) or have it replaced if you do not have the tools (small drift?) or are nervous about working on it. I wonder if someone here could shed some light on what to look out for or proper procedures for drifting it out. Could the small drift serve to keep the trigger and internals in place until the replacement pin can be tapped back in from the right side? :boink:

Bawanna
05-17-2010, 09:16 AM
You are right and the end did break off...but it appears to have broken off cleanly. If it functions properly, I would tend to leave it alone...if I weren't so AR...sorry Bawanna45cal..."anal retentive" i.e. too detail oriented...:rolleyes:

That being said, I would replace it (just because I AM AR) or have it replaced if you do not have the tools (small drift?) or are nervous about working on it. I wonder if someone here could shed some light on what to look out for or proper procedures for drifting it out. Could the small drift serve to keep the trigger and internals in place until the replacement pin can be tapped back in from the right side? :boink:

The small drift would work perfect if you got really close to the exact size of that pin. Put it in a vise so you can just replace the pin with the punch, then tap the punch back out with the new pin. There is some scarey stuff in there though and since its new??? I'd still be tempted to send it back to Kahr. If nothing else hopefully they would check to make sure there is no other collateral damage. Actually not alot of other stuff interacting there but I think I'm one of them AR types too. If ou slip and lose a bushing or anything it could be a real challenge getting it all back in order.

empfgd
05-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I talked with Ian at Kahr and am going to send it in to have them look at it. I agree that it is probably no big deal and just the looks that are effected, but I am pretty AR as well and it just kind of bothers me. However, while it is at Kahr I'm going to have them take a look and make sure nothing else is suspect. Thanks again.

Bawanna
05-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I talked with Ian at Kahr and am going to send it in to have them look at it. I agree that it is probably no big deal and just the looks that are effected, but I am pretty AR as well and it just kind of bothers me. However, while it is at Kahr I'm going to have them take a look and make sure nothing else is suspect. Thanks again.

Good plan and don't forget to let us all know how it shakes out when it gets back. We learn alot from these reports around here and save others some grief down the road sometimes.

empfgd
05-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Hello all,

I sent my MK9 off to Kahr last Wed. the 19th and it already came back this morning!! They replaced the trigger pivot pin and checked out the rest of the gun for me and gave it a clean bill of health. They test fired it and I guess cleaned and lubed it up so the thing sparkles like new. Couldn't be happier with the support Ian at Kahr gave me. Thanks for all of you guys' help, now I can't wait to go shoot it.

Eric

Bawanna
05-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Good deal. Another happy ending. Still beyond me how that pin would break, really not much strain on it and it broke in a supported area, but stuff happens I guess. Glad your back on the track and running.