View Full Version : Crazy first day carrying...

rahmann62
12-08-2013, 07:18 AM
My wife and I planned to go Chistmas shopping this after, I have been waiting to get my permit in the mail. I thought I better check the mail before we left just in case...to my surprise and pleasure my permit arrived in today's mail.

We loaded up the kids to take to grandma & grandpa's, and I put on my Alien Gear holster and Kahr CW9. We dropped off the kids and headed to the first of many stores. We are at the first store for about two minutes and hear a "pop" come from the buckle area of my belt, yep the buckle on my belt broke! Luckily the store we were in sold belts, I picked up a thick heavy leather belt. Now, the line to pay was about 30 people long, so after holding up my pants for 15 minutes in line I bought the new belt and headed to the car to put it on.

Luckily the rest of the game went great. In and out of many stores without any additional problems.

muggsy
12-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Oh, c'mon now. You could have embellished on that story a bit to make it more believable. Your pants could have fallen to the mall floor floor exposing your CW9 and security could have been called to apprehend the crazed gunman in ladies lingerie. Some people just don't know how to relate the true facts of a story. :)

jocko
12-08-2013, 08:06 AM
wellmuggs he only has 11 posts,they startout timid on this fourm but soon end up like you!!! regretfuly. Just sayin

muggsy
12-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Yeah, yer right. I guess I can cut him some slack. He shows real potential though. Hell, I wouldn't even have admitted that my belt broke at the mall. Down right embarrassing. Welcome aboard, son.

downtownv
12-08-2013, 08:34 AM
My wife and I planned to go Chistmas shopping this after, I have been waiting to get my permit in the mail. I thought I better check the mail before we left just in case...to my surprise and pleasure my permit arrived in today's mail.

We loaded up the kids to take to grandma & grandpa's, and I put on my Alien Gear holster and Kahr CW9. We dropped off the kids and headed to the first of many stores. We are at the first store for about two minutes and hear a "pop" come from the buckle area of my belt, yep the buckle on my belt broke! Luckily the store we were in sold belts, I picked up a thick heavy leather belt. Now, the line to pay was about 30 people long, so after holding up my pants for 15 minutes in line I bought the new belt and headed to the car to put it on.

Luckily the rest of the game went great. In and out of many stores without any additional problems.

Now go buy a belt made for Gun toting- Jerry Bissell Mt Airy NC..........

jocko
12-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Yeah, yer right. I guess I can cut him some slack. He shows real potential though. Hell, I wouldn't even have admitted that my belt broke at the mall. Down right embarrassing. Welcome aboard, son.

uwould have but you would have it such a dramatc event like u werein the mall and a shootingtook place and u intervened and the BG shot at u and hit your belt buckle and down went your Tommy Hilfigger designer jeans,size 48 ad u then stumbled and fellto the cement floor breaking ur nose and ur gun now going off due to you carrying a Kel tek instead of ur trusty kahr and dropping Santa Claus who was sitting in his throne chair 50 yards down the mall and all the little kids then screaming and crying. THAT BASTARD KILLED SANTA. Sure I know u to well:amflag:

wyntrout
12-08-2013, 09:27 AM
A really GOOD GUNBELT is something you shouldn't skimp on!

you need one that doesn't stretch OR sag. I use Looper Kydex reinforced gun belts... three layers... absolutely no sagging. They run about $50... or more, depending on the vendor... also sold under BladeTech, but still Looper-made.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/P40%20firing%20165%20Grain%20Blazers/LooperGunBelt_2115.jpg

I'm wearing the 34" now, but have the 36" and the 38" pictured. I lost about 40 pounds and the slack got to be too much. I'm using the middle of 7 holes now and have several inches room either way with my pistol IWB.

Another discussion here:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15748&highlight=Looper

And more pictures Here (Mine at page #6):

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14938&highlight=EDC+Picture+Thread

Wynn:D

The Faux King
12-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Congrats on getting your license in the mail, I have just about wore out my current belt (sadly I can't say it's from carrying, but a slowly increasing waist size). Anyone here have a galco leather gun belt? I'm thinking of picking one up as those are really the only ones around here locally. They seem to be of fairly sturdy hide.

Bawanna
12-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Now go buy a belt made for Gun toting- Jerry Bissell Mt Airy NC..........

Jerry's not making belts anymore I hear. I think he taught his grandson and he's making them now. I assume just as good, or at least I hope so.
I was so glad I got mine when I did as it was right after that he give it up.

It's a super thick belt, I'm kind of saving it as my other good belt still has some life in it.

downtownv
12-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Jerry's not making belts anymore I hear. I think he taught his grandson and he's making them now. I assume just as good, or at least I hope so.
I was so glad I got mine when I did as it was right after that he give it up.

It's a super thick belt, I'm kind of saving it as my other good belt still has some life in it.

Correcto! But I figured I'd confuse the poop outta the newby:40:

wyntrout
12-08-2013, 11:26 AM
I added a picture and links to my previous post.

Wynn:)

Planedude
12-08-2013, 10:25 PM
The guys are right. A good GUN belt is the foundation of all your carry options. I wear a reinforced 511 tactical belt even if all I'm out and about with is the P380 in a pocket holster...

I learned that truth the hard way too.

Oh! And congrats on joining the ranks of the free men of this nation.

jocko
12-09-2013, 04:15 AM
The guys are right. A good GUN belt is the foundation of all your carry options. I wear a reinforced 511 tactical belt even if all I'm out and about with is the P380 in a pocket holster...

I learned that truth the hard way too.

Oh! And congrats on joining the ranks of the free men of this nation.

of this nation. I take it he is not married or never married!!!!:Amflag2:

jlottmc
12-09-2013, 10:03 PM
I personally wear a riggers belt, and I find now that Blackhawk has them in Wally world for a whopping $12 US, in Henry Ford Fashion (any color you want as long as it's black). They work surprisingly well. Just FYI.

knkali
12-09-2013, 10:54 PM
bought cheap belts too. After a short time...no bueno

downtownv
12-10-2013, 02:13 AM
I personally wear a riggers belt, .
WHAT kinda Belt?:eek:

booger switch
12-11-2013, 08:55 AM
http://www.thewilderness.com/tactical-belts/frequent-flyer-belt/

Maybe the best $30 I've ever spent. Comfortable, durable and ultra quiet. My leather belts creak like an old wooden staircase with my leather belt holsters. This one does not.

jlottmc
12-15-2013, 08:37 PM
WHAT kinda Belt?:eek:

A riggers belt. Called so because it used to be for parachute riggers (or so I was told). http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/2-military-style-50-nylon-bdu-belts.aspx?a=695573
Nowadays, some also have buckles that allow them to be used as an emergency repel hook up.

ltxi
12-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Congrats on getting your license in the mail, I have just about wore out my current belt (sadly I can't say it's from carrying, but a slowly increasing waist size). Anyone here have a galco leather gun belt? I'm thinking of picking one up as those are really the only ones around here locally. They seem to be of fairly sturdy hide.

I've been wearing top end Galco dress belts with quality suits for business for literally decades. They would not have been my choice for pretty if I didn't need a gun belt but they're presentable at an executive level and do not sag, stretch, nor wear out.

I will also comment positively on the notion of getting three layer, Kydex or whatever reinforced belts. I have a few really good two layer leather belts but have found that without the reinforcement they eventually stretch/sag.

muggsy
04-21-2014, 07:34 PM
uwould have but you would have it such a dramatc event like u werein the mall and a shootingtook place and u intervened and the BG shot at u and hit your belt buckle and down went your Tommy Hilfigger designer jeans,size 48 ad u then stumbled and fellto the cement floor breaking ur nose and ur gun now going off due to you carrying a Kel tek instead of ur trusty kahr and dropping Santa Claus who was sitting in his throne chair 50 yards down the mall and all the little kids then screaming and crying. THAT BASTARD KILLED SANTA. Sure I know u to well:amflag:

Size 48? You flatter me, Jocko. :) I hear you wear Lardash and Calvin Swine jeans.

Bawanna
04-21-2014, 10:39 PM
The Wilderness is a great belt too. I exceeded its maximum circumference sadly. They do need to be sized correctly.

I've put my Jerry Bissell belt into active duty as of this week. My old Hume I believe is still good but losing its stuff. Clipping cell phone and mag pouches on it have taken their toll.

garyb
04-22-2014, 05:49 AM
http://www.thewilderness.com/tactical-belts/frequent-flyer-belt/

Maybe the best $30 I've ever spent. Comfortable, durable and ultra quiet. My leather belts creak like an old wooden staircase with my leather belt holsters. This one does not.

Perfect! Thanks for sharing. Something I need to get. I have good solid leather belts, but I do need to invest in a good belt like this. Reasonably priced too. Thanks again.

berettabone
04-22-2014, 08:52 AM
I use a belt from Cleveland holsters. Works for me. Good quality.

gun papa
05-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Around 1996 I was carrying in a mall in Arizona. I was new to carrying. A Walther PPKS. It was a prohibited carry mall. The pistol in the left interior jacket pocket normal to most jackets. In a toy store with the family, I bent over a pile of action figures and out came the Walther, dropping into the pile of action figures. Luckily nobody saw and I was able gain the gun and my composure, and get out of there. I never carried in that manor again.