View Full Version : Identifying Primers

Harrylee
01-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Since all this stuff started and components where hard to find I ended up with a assortment of primers. I used to have one type of primer and one type of powder, but because you buy what you can find now, end up with four type of primers. So thinking about this I was wondering if their was a way to identify the primers from each other. Got the magnifying glass out and yes they all had a color code to them, didn’t realize that till I looked. So here are some photos of them, they where a bit hard to get light into the primer because the lens of the camera was so close to the primer but I think you can see good enough. The last photo is my home made dipper, had one go to look for it not to be found but I needed one right then thought what I could use the I came up with this, plenty of 22 cases around and a piece of brass tube a 22 short on one side and 22lr on the other end. Still use that today never found my other one

Bawanna
01-05-2014, 11:18 AM
Wow, I never knew that. I'm color blind but I can see good enough to tell those apart.

Nice measure too.

Tilos
01-05-2014, 07:28 PM
...and wolff :boink:
still shooting my '08 election stash:o

muggsy
01-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Nice post. Should come in handy.

garyb
01-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Good post HarryLee. However, I'm uncertain if they ever change their color over time for some reason or another. Then again, it probably won't change much about what I'm using. I just use them up like bullets. I do like CCI 22LR ammo, but I stay away from their small pistol primers because they tend to be hard. Seen it on the range more than I'd care to....resulting in longer times (due to need to clear the round). Never had any problems with Win or Feds. Never tried Rem small pistol primers.
Good post. Pics are good. Thanks.

Ikeo74
01-06-2014, 07:04 AM
Not reliable and could be dangerous.

Always keep your unused primers in their original box. Then you are positive as to what they are. Any primers not in an original box need to be disposed of after soaking in something that makes them inactive. (like old oil) Be safe, don't guess.

Example: What is the difference in color of the same brand between regular and magnum primers? What about the difference between rifle and pistol primers?

Each brand would to have 4 different colors or more. Like: Large rifle regular, large rifle magnum, large pistol regular, large pistol magnum, small rifle regular, small rifle magnum, small pistol regular and small pistol magnum. What are all those colors?

garyb
01-06-2014, 07:33 AM
Not reliable and could be dangerous.

Always keep your unused primers in their original box. Then you are positive as to what they are. Any primers not in an original box need to be disposed of after soaking in something that makes them inactive. (like old oil) Be safe, don't guess.

Example: What is the difference in color of the same brand between regular and magnum primers? What about the difference between rifle and pistol primers?

Each brand would to have 4 different colors or more. Like: Large rifle regular, large rifle magnum, large pistol regular, large pistol magnum, small rifle regular, small rifle magnum, small pistol regular and small pistol magnum. What are all those colors?

I don't think anyone said to rely on the color differences. HarryLee simply pointed out that they were different colors.

You DO make a good point about all the various sizes "possibly" having different colors and the color issue should not be relied on. I do get your point...well taken. Good point.

As for making primers inactive....I don't know about that one. For example...I only reload for 40 right now and ONLY use small pistol primers. I label the powder type and primer type on my reloader. I even label the gr charge drop on my powder measure. I reload frequently and don't see a need to put them back in the box. Although I am relatively new to reloading and would appreciate input if this is an unsafe condition. I would not consider dumping my primers and making them inactive...destroying them. I use them up. However, If I were loading rifle, large pistol, mags, etc... I would empty my primer tube (Hornady LNL AP press) and start fresh each time. But because I am only loading small pistol primers....I am not going to dump the primer tube even if I change to a new manufacturer's small pistol primer. But I do get your point about being careful with primer types and not relying on the color. Good point. Thanks.

Ikeo74
01-06-2014, 08:07 AM
As for making primers inactive....I don't know about that one. For example...I only reload for 40 right now and ONLY use small pistol primers. I label the powder type and primer type on my reloader. I even label the gr charge drop on my powder measure. I reload frequently and don't see a need to put them back in the box. Although I am relatively new to reloading and would appreciate input if this is an unsafe condition. I would not consider dumping my primers and making them inactive...destroying them. I use them up. However, If I were loading rifle, large pistol, mags, etc... I would empty my primer tube (Hornady LNL AP press) and start fresh each time. But because I am only loading small pistol primers....I am not going to dump the primer tube even if I change to a new manufacturer's small pistol primer. But I do get your point about being careful with primer types and not relying on the color. Good point. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

In your case where you only load 1 cal bullet with 1 brand small primer in a progressive loader, you wouldn't need to unload the primer tube. However when (if) you start loading more different pistol and rifle loads you would need to make sure that the tube has the correct primers and marked like you do now. Marking the powder measurer is important if you use more than 1 powder and load for multiple cal bullets.

Harrylee
01-06-2014, 10:45 AM
This was only a observation on my part, the only cal I’m set up for now is 45. Also I do not do rifle, so at any given time it’s either large pistol primers or small pistol primers. Don’t load anything with mag primers. So for me this is just telling what primers I have in house. When I load my press I load one box at a time and rarely I’ll have a stray primer around. That’s all this ever was to identify what was in house :)

garyb
01-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Makes perfect sense to me.

Bawanna
01-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Nice avatar. Yosemite has always been my hero.

Currently my hero is Phil Robertson. I have many hero's.

DJK11
01-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Nice to know they are nice and colorful. My primers stay in the OEM packaging until placed in the pickup tube. One exploding primer alone wont do damage but if that one explodes in a tube with others, you get the point. I don't leave primers in tubes when done loading. I just don't load the tubes with more than I'm going to need.

Tilos
01-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the info Harrylee.
I can never understand why some feel the need to post about their own self imposed "rules" of reloading in a thread like this.
Adapting/following a process they probably have developed based on reading what others have declared to be "safe" and then posting it to be the only reliable and safe (not dangerous) method.
Then the pissing contest starts, with a lot of bloviating about the why's and how's that we all have read from the same sources.

I've used Mag Primers when it's all I could buy (thanks Oman), I'm still alive.
Reloading is based on science, not logic or what makes sense.
jmo

downtownv
01-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Interesting I noticed the color differences as well but you need to splain to me that "Dipper"
I know tobacco chewers "Dip"
Chewtabacca, Chewtabacca, chewtabacca.... Spit!