View Full Version : Anyone polish their slide?

trooplewis
02-23-2014, 10:51 PM
I spent 30 minutes polishing the barrel of my CW9 with Mother's Mag polish, and it looks like a chrome finish now. It is so easy, I am curious if anyone has done the entire exterior of the slide. Might be a little higher maintenance in regards to fingerprints and the like, but I bet it looks awesome.

I know you would have to buy a replacement front sight, but I'm thinking about doing that regardless.

Would love to see some photos of a fully polished slide, I know that there must be some around.

Thanks!

gb6491
02-23-2014, 11:15 PM
I spent 30 minutes polishing the barrel of my CW9 with Mother's Mag polish, and it looks like a chrome finish now. It is so easy, I am curious if anyone has done the entire exterior of the slide. Might be a little higher maintenance in regards to fingerprints and the like, but I bet it looks awesome.

I know you would have to buy a replacement front sight, but I'm thinking about doing that regardless.

Would love to see some photos of a fully polished slide, I know that there must be some around.

Thanks!
Here's a CM9 that belongs to JFootin (http://www.kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=117067&postcount=3):
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/JFootin/MyPolishedKahrCM9/KahrCM9PolishedLSwMagandBullets.jpg
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/My%20Custom%20CM9/KahrCM9PolishedLT.jpg
Regards,
Greg

trooplewis
02-23-2014, 11:46 PM
That's pretty nice.

The blue-slide gun in another thread is what got me thinking about this.

root
02-24-2014, 03:23 AM
Holy hell, that is sexy.

I bought some materials to do this to my CM9 but because now I am unsure if it needs to be sent back to Kahr or not I'm holding off on any cosmetic mods. I don't want a mirror finish but I'd like it to be about halfway between the one shown above and the stock finish.

mikemc53
02-24-2014, 04:31 AM
Ok...gotta admit that when I first saw the title of the thread I said - "yes, almost everyday"...then I realized it was about my gun, not my...gun.:o

Anyway, that looks awesome!

addictedhealer
02-24-2014, 05:06 AM
Did just my barrel. Slide seemed a little much for ccw.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/24/sa3e2y7a.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/24/hyqu2a4y.jpg

Selcouth
02-24-2014, 05:25 AM
Looks cool and all, but I use mine as a carry. I know if I did something like this the minute I draw my gun in daylight would be the same time the sun reflects right into my eye. Cool idea though.

muggsy
02-24-2014, 07:39 AM
Kahr pistols aren't supposed to be show pieces. They're supposed to be down and dirty hide pieces. I'm living in a world that I don't understand. :)

rjt123
02-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Kahr pistols aren't supposed to be show pieces. They're supposed to be down and dirty hide pieces. I'm living in a world that I don't understand. :)

It's probably for the best, Muggs. If we DID understand it I suspect the desire to check out would be pretty high. :(

itsthelaw
02-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Kind of a personal question...

I prefer to make mine less shiny. http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15318

trooplewis
02-24-2014, 09:03 AM
I dunno, I've seen a lot of nickel-plated snubbies. Nothing wrong with a bit of custom work on a Kahr, it will still be as functional as ever.

Firewire
02-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Do you just hand rub back and forth iin the same direction to prevent swirls? Or is this using the buffing wheel and jewlers rouge?

b4uqzme
02-24-2014, 07:52 PM
just the barrel for me. :) And I polish by hand...definitely by hand. ;)

Nine Fingers
03-20-2014, 01:11 PM
I'm a newbie -- Can you share more detail of how you go about polishing? Specifically, what abrasive do you use to do the polishing??

Thanks
Dave

trooplewis
03-20-2014, 10:17 PM
Flitz and Mother's Mag Wheel Polish seem to be the most popular

bob98366
03-20-2014, 11:43 PM
Kahr pistols aren't supposed to be show pieces. They're supposed to be down and dirty hide pieces.

I'm with you on this one, muggsy. Mine are shooters, scuffed but clean.

Garpo
03-21-2014, 06:56 AM
I see it as a personal choice and for me I'd rather have a good old fashioned blued slide on my CW45. That may be something I may have done in the future. Cerakote could be a consideration.

SwampDude
03-22-2014, 12:34 PM
I'm a newbie -- Can you share more detail of how you go about polishing? Specifically, what abrasive do you use to do the polishing??

Thanks
Dave

Here's a good video on polishing stainless steel guns with Mothers:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QtBmVR9FiO4

To polish or not is a personal choice...there is no right or wrong answer. Some folks buy stag or other 'fancy' grips to enhance the appearance of their carry guns. Some spend lots of money for engraving. Others prefer a grungy look with nicks, dings or other wear indicators. I prefer the 'first class' look, and I enjoy doing the work to change some of my stainless handguns from matte to shiny.

Mother's Mag&Aluminum polish can be bought in the auto supply section at Walmart or lots of other places that sell auto supplies.

Pointblank
03-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Well, the black rose models are polished to a high gloss so I guess Kahr thinks it's a premium. Send them a royalty check please. :D

Bobshouse
06-22-2015, 02:56 PM
The bad guy is gonna be jumpy and on edge when he comes up to rob you. When he/she asks kindly for your wallet and you give it to them, your either gonna get shot, stabbed or hit down in some way so you cant chase or call the police. The way I look at it is your last chance to get the bad guy and protect yourself is when your told to give up your wallet. You act like your complying, and reach around for your wallet, and give'em your bullet instead.

If the bad guy sees a flash of metal or chrome in your hand as it comes around they are going to react immediately. With a black or dull finish it might give you that half second to get the lowdown on them before they realize what you are doing.

Shiny is great for the range at the bowling pin matches, but not so hot for self defense.

Baklash
06-22-2015, 07:44 PM
I plan on letting the shiny glare from my polished barrel blind the bad guy and then I won't have to shoot him.

airny
06-23-2015, 02:10 AM
she is soooo beautiful...

BigHairyGobbler
06-23-2015, 07:30 AM
Is "polishing the slide" a euphemism for something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coppertop
06-23-2015, 06:06 PM
I realize everyone has their own tastes, but I have never understood the attraction to shiny guns. I prefer the discrete appearance of blue steel or matte nitron and if I want something with a little flash, there is satin nickel.

TheTman
06-24-2015, 02:05 PM
I suppose if I needed a BBQ gun, I'd have something shiny with some fancy grips, either a 1911 or some S&W .357. But I have no need for that, so a dull finish and plain but functional grips works for me. Jfootin's pistol does look nice though.

kenemoore
06-24-2015, 05:48 PM
I guess I'm an old fashioned kind of guy. My pistols are for go, not show. I prefer the DLC slides on my Kahrs, and almost all my other guns are plain blue or black. I even have black SS mags (trippe cobras) for my carry CCO 1911. I kind of get the BBQ gun thing, but do not understand all the different Concealed Carry guns in pink and purple and other colors. If it's concealed who is going to see it?????

b4uqzme
06-24-2015, 08:43 PM
I guess I'm an old fashioned kind of guy. My pistols are for go, not show. I prefer the DLC slides on my Kahrs, and almost all my other guns are plain blue or black. I even have black SS mags (trippe cobras) for my carry CCO 1911. I kind of get the BBQ gun thing, but do not understand all the different Concealed Carry guns in pink and purple and other colors. If it's concealed who is going to see it?????

I'm not a fan of pink or purple either but I do like a nice looking gun. I do it for me. I'm not worried about what the bad guys see. None have seen any of my guns yet and I hope it stays that way.