PDA

View Full Version : wrong recoil spring?

6speeder
03-02-2014, 10:48 AM
I was having the occasional failure to feed issue with my TP9 and ordered a new recoil spring from Kahr. I am unable to get it to fit in my weapon.:mad: With the new spring I cannot seat the guide rod, with the old spring everything is OK.

The Kahr site shows the spring to be used is labeled 005TP9. The springs Kahr sent are labeled 005P9C. In addition, my old spring has 25 coils, the one Kahr sent has 20. I'm convinced they sent me wrong spring.

Can someone with a TP9 please do a spring coil count for me?

Thanks,
Wayne

b4uqzme
03-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I think they sent me the wrong one for my K40 too! Just bein' snarky.

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to make light of your question. Call Kahr and make sure they sent you the correct spring. Mistakes do happen. Meanwhile, it's been my experience that new recoil springs are VERY stiff and difficult to install until they "take their set". And Kahr may even be updating their springs as I've seen other posts here asking about coil count. I had to use a chopstick threaded through the open end to keep from kinking it when I first installed my new K40 spring. After a few teardowns, and a bunch of racking and shooting, everything is fine. I hope that's all you are experiencing. Good luck.

6speeder
03-02-2014, 11:44 AM
I understand and agree new springs will be more difficult to install. However this certainly is a different spring than came with the weapon. As they age they will lose resistance to compression and become slightly shorter, but they won't "grow" more coils. That, and the fact that the site calls for a different spring than I received tells me maybe I got the wrong one. I'll call Kahr on Monday

DavidR
03-02-2014, 01:06 PM
005P9 is the recoil spring for a P9, not a TP9.

http://www.kahr.com/Parts/Kahr-P9.asp

ripley16
03-02-2014, 02:33 PM
I counted 26 coils and a length of 5 1/4" in my original TP9 spring.

6speeder
03-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Yeah, thanks guys. Callin' Kahr in the morning.