PDA

View Full Version : Powder charge keeps changing

Harrylee
03-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Have any of you noticed this. So yesterday I was reloading 45 on my Dillon press got the powder bar adjusted for the grains I wanted to drop, good to go ran 10 round checked the powder and good check it around 30 still good one final check at 50 and then I ran 200 one more check still good, OK time for a little break went back to the press 30 minutes later just out of habit I check the first round and it was like 4/10 ths heavy now wait a minute it was good thru the first run what’s up with this now I have been using this press for over 20 years and I have seen this before but not till today did I figure it out but by running a few more round thru it the power charge came back where it should be. I think what is happening is from the powder sitting in the hopper it compresses in the charge bar giving a heavy first load after sitting for awhile. So this is what I think any body think I’m right on this? I think I may be right on this, as I said I have seen this in the past and always puzzled me so after 20 years on this press the light in my head finally came on :rolleyes:, it not a big deal just cycle the press a few times dumping the powder back in the hopper and it settles out and back to running

wyntrout
03-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Maybe you need a baffle plate to keep the powder drop uniform. Some guys poo-pooed that, but I used measures with the baffle near the bottom to keep the apparent column of powder uniformly low.

I've seen internet posts on making your own out of an aluminum can.

Wynn:)

Harrylee
03-13-2014, 10:46 AM
Hey wyntrout it does have a baffle in it already got this image from the dillon site if you look at it careful you will see it

Bawanna
03-13-2014, 10:57 AM
I have to agree with your theory. I have a powder measure with a baffle and one without. I don't notice any great difference. I'm pretty meticulous about keep the level consistent, don't let it get too low or fill it above a certain point.

I've experienced the same thing in the past in even less time and found myself messing with the adjustment. I think your right.

I also think the powder would make a big difference in this regard, some of the finer powders probably more susceptible than some of the extruded pencil lead powders.

I still check the powder charge frequently. Never more than 20 or 25 and generally more often than that. Not worth the risk.
I have a dental mirror attached to my press where I can visually see down in the case on my progressive to confirm there is indeed powder and the level looks consistent.

CJB
03-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Settling in the cavity while you were away. Some rifle loaders go by volumeteic consistancy vs weight.... and theyre bench rest types

mr surveyor
03-13-2014, 02:05 PM
what type of scale are you using?

Harrylee
03-13-2014, 07:28 PM
I have 3 scale in the shop 505 Ohaus and a Dillon scale(which is Ohaus) and a Lee safety powder scale the charge weighs the same on all 3 scales They are all beam scales

DLButler
03-14-2014, 03:33 AM
Temperature and humidity will change your weight also. Leaving it could have given time to change from these factors. I always fill my powder dispenser and wait about 30 minutes to start measuring/loading.

muggsy
03-14-2014, 06:42 AM
I dunno, I'm baffled by this phenomenon. :)

AIRret
03-14-2014, 02:47 PM
I have to agree with your theory. I have a powder measure with a baffle and one without. I don't notice any great difference. I'm pretty meticulous about keep the level consistent, don't let it get too low or fill it above a certain point.

I've experienced the same thing in the past in even less time and found myself messing with the adjustment. I think your right.

I also think the powder would make a big difference in this regard, some of the finer powders probably more susceptible than some of the extruded pencil lead powders.

I still check the powder charge frequently. Never more than 20 or 25 and generally more often than that. Not worth the risk.
I have a dental mirror attached to my press where I can visually see down in the case on my progressive to confirm there is indeed powder and the level looks consistent.

That is consistent with our experiences.
This was something learned by trial and error.

We don't go beyond 10 rounds before checking, but that's because we are relatively new to reloading.

Tilos
03-14-2014, 06:23 PM
This may sound trite, but you could leave the press lever down, shell plate up, if you plan to return soon:rolleyes:
just sayin'
Ken

DubDubU
03-14-2014, 06:48 PM
I have found the powder baffle useful to keep things consistent. I made my own from these instructions.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/95213370/Reloading-Powder-Baffle

Harrylee
03-15-2014, 07:21 AM
Ken you must have read my mind was thinking the same thing with the lever down powder bar does not charge and I’m also thinking to only fill the hopper ½ way and refill at 1/4 way and see how that works. Seems like when you get into a run the powder stays the same it’s only when you stop for awhile that this is a problem :)

garyb
03-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Harry, I have heard that some powders are more consistent than others. However, I tend to agree with the powder baffle as a solution, if you have not tried this yet. It should not matter how full your hopper is, from my limited experience...the drop should be the same if the hopper is 1/4 - full. You may want to empty the hopper and clean things up good, then start over with a baffle....JMO.

dkmatthews
03-25-2014, 09:05 AM
I keep my charge lever down for a different reason. I was always worried about bumping it and causing the charge lever to dump powder before I was ready, making a mess. Now I have a new and better reason to keep the charge lever down when I step away. Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Southerngunner
04-24-2014, 01:26 PM
I have 2 dillon presses a Square Deal for 9MM's and 38 Specials(small primer ) setup and a 550 B for all of the rest large primer rounds. I have not found that much difference in my powder charges. I have 5 different quick change heads set with their own powder measure for the specific caliber and the Square deal I change that powder measure between the 2 calibers, all of mine has the baffle on the powder tube.
I can see where leaving the handle in the down position between breaks would keep things consistant. I don't leave powder in any of them unless I'm loading at the time. That will keep the powder from settling and keeps the plastic in the tube from becoming discolored.