PDA

View Full Version : MagnaPort

Ratmando73
09-19-2009, 05:01 AM
Jocko

How bad is the blast at night with your MagnaPorted
PM-9? I am very close to sending my 40 Covert to them.
I worry because 2X / year I have to night qual.

Thanks,

Rat

jocko
09-19-2009, 06:01 AM
that P40 covert puts out alot of muzzle flash that if there is any coming out of the ported area, you would never know it. I have not shot but twice in the eveing and that was just for my purposes, no qualifiying or anything, but I had zero issues with my PM9. You are going to get muzzle flash, u can't stop that from happening in that small gun, shoot a J frame and you will get a bunch, just the nature of the gun and length. There are some ammo brands and I do'nt know what they are either that claim no muzzle flash because of their powder being used. No doubt some mfg-ers ammo will produce more flash, that is very easy to test out. Can't blame the gun when they load the round with a slow buring powder etc. So to answer your quesiton, you won't have any problems,but you will surely enjoy the shooting more of your 40 cal and that second shot will be right there for you to.

smoke um it u got um.

paulpm40
09-19-2009, 08:43 AM
You have to try different ammo my ported taurus has no flash with gold dot
My pm40 has a big fire ball with some ammo and it is not ported
A lot of SD ammo has low flash powder you just have to try in your gun (the shorter the barrel the worst it gets)

johnh
09-19-2009, 09:18 AM
I have had quite a few ported guns over the years. Generally not because I sought them out, I just happened to find them at a good price. The above comments are true in my experience. One way to think of it is that the gasses venting out the top only due so a microsecond before the rest goes out the front, meaning the fireball at the top is almost instantly followed by an even bigger one out the front (assuming the powder in question produces much blast). So when shooting in the dark, you are going to get a flash of some type either way and that coming out the top may not contribute significantly to any impact on your vision. I have fired ported guns in low light and it was my observation that there was no difference.

The other question really is does it improve shot recovery? In my experience it only made a difference with high pressure ammunition. I have had a couple ported 45s that really did not benefit appreciably from porting. I have had some ported 10mm pistols where I could tell a difference in shot recovery. One problem with both was that the fouling produced by the porting rapidly covered the front sight. If the front sight has tritium you may have reduced luminescence as it covers with residue. I really don't care for porting overall because I have yet to have it improve my shooting with any given pistol. That is a user preference of course, and YMMV as always. Were I to find a steel 10mm Witness that was ported at a good price, I would probably buy it. I love that caliber and had good luck with the earlier Tanfoglios using it.

John

jocko
09-19-2009, 11:47 AM
YMMV but it really helped my G19 alot. It was a nice gun to shoot anyway but now that gun just sits there right on target waiting for me to punch a hole in it. It improved my G19 shooting for me alot. No doubt the more pwoerful the caliber the better the felt recoil or less of it will be.that is the design of magna porting to.accuracy wise that is in the hands of the beholder.

One thing is for certain it won't hurt your gun and it certainly won't hurt your shooting techniques either. Some porting requires slide refinishing, that is another great thing about magna-port. No refinish is required..

I have shot well over 200 rounds at one sitting with my G19 and front site fouling has never been an issue and my PM9 with the xs big dot, I have never see it get foulded up. I would think any holes drilled right on top of the slide would product site fouling to some degree also... Like most guns, porting by different companies, smitty's etc are not all the same. My feelings on some I have seen is tha thtye are there more for cosmetic looks than actual shooting value..

smoke um if u got um!!

Ratmando73
09-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I shoot at least a half dozen times at night on top of quals. Both my PM40 and my Covert have a lot of muzzle blast. Gold Dot 165's help out but the blast is there. I guess my question was if the upward blast through the ports was that much more noticeable at night. You are probably correct Jocko in that the blast is such that a little out of the top won't be noticeable.

I know when I had MagnaPort chop my S&W 629 to 2 1/2 inches, round the grip and port it, the felt recoil with 300gr was less than 180gr in the original 6 1/2 inch model. I would say it was actually docile.

I use XS Big Dots also and as much as you shoot Jocko, if there is not a problem with sight fouling then I don't believe I would have one.

I like to take any advantage of any help I can get. That is why I went from a PM 40 to a P 40 Covert ( 3" vs 3 1/2"). So I am shipping it off to MagnaPort. If push comes to shove I can always buy another barrel.

Thanks again,

Rat

jocko
09-19-2009, 05:56 PM
or MAYBE sellit to me???

jocko
09-19-2009, 06:02 PM
to me a very wise decision, I know you will let this fourm know how it works out for you.

also ,,, PM sent

you seem to know exactly what you want. That was a nice chop job on your 629. I didn't know magna port did metal grip reduction. wow qa 2 1/2 629, what a hog leg

kahrs&cars
01-17-2010, 04:16 AM
that P40 covert puts out alot of muzzle flash that if there is any coming out of the ported area, you would never know it. I have not shot but twice in the eveing and that was just for my purposes, no qualifiying or anything, but I had zero issues with my PM9. You are going to get muzzle flash, u can't stop that from happening in that small gun, shoot a J frame and you will get a bunch, just the nature of the gun and length. There are some ammo brands and I do'nt know what they are either that claim no muzzle flash because of their powder being used. No doubt some mfg-ers ammo will produce more flash, that is very easy to test out. Can't blame the gun when they load the round with a slow buring powder etc. So to answer your quesiton, you won't have any problems,but you will surely enjoy the shooting more of your 40 cal and that second shot will be right there for you to.

smoke um it u got um.

+1 on that Jacko you hit the nail on the head. I answered another post on the same topic. I cant speak highly enough about mag-na-port.