PDA

View Full Version : CW380 reassembly error-slide now locked--SOLVED

ammodave
04-05-2014, 09:42 AM
I have a new CW380. After numerous failure to feeds on my first outing I decided to check for magazine interferences with the magazine catch and cartridge interference with the slide stop. I found possible interferences with both magazines with the magazine follower and the magazine catch and polished those away. Now my problem: when I attempted to install the slide on the pistol, I forgot to remove the slide lock. The slide slid on and then made a clicking noise and locked in position about 3/8" from being lined up with the rear of the frame. Now the side won't move either forward or aft. I can't remove the slide stop at this point because it's trapped inside the slide. Is there a solution short of destroying the slide stop to remove it?

shlike
04-05-2014, 10:04 AM
I have a new CW380. After numerous failure to feeds on my first outing I decided to check for magazine interferences with the magazine catch and cartridge interference with the slide stop. I found possible interferences with both magazines with the magazine follower and the magazine catch and polished those away. Now my problem: when I attempted to install the slide on the pistol, I forgot to remove the slide lock. The slide slid on and then made a clicking noise and locked in position about 3/8" from being lined up with the rear of the frame. Now the side won't move either forward or aft. I can't remove the slide stop at this point because it's trapped inside the slide. Is there a solution short of destroying the slide stop to remove it?

I have a CW380 also. Maybe I am missing something, but what is the "slide lock" you are referring to? My CW380 has only the slide itself and the slide stop lever. It does not have a "slide lock" that I am aware of.

100percent
04-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Sounds like your barrel lug has dropped down. Can you turn it over wriggle and shake it and get the barrel back in battery?

It sounds like you have smithed your gun real good. Sorry had to say it.

BEARDOG
04-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Here you go, your not the first to do that ;)
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7485

Skip to post 23 in that thread to see Gregs solution here.
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=79929&postcount=23

Bawanna
04-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Skip down to post #23 by professor Greg. I think that is the way to go about taking care of you issue.

ammodave
04-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Sorry for my poor terminology; I should have said slide release lever (not slide lock). Professor Greg's solution was spot on and solved the problem quickly. Some of the other proposed solutions involved a big hammer and brute force. Now if I can just get the thing to feed properly. About 10% of my first 150 rds failed to feed properly. In most instances it stripped the rd out of the magazine OK but the slide failed to close completely (about 1/2" open). In some cases I was able to close the slide with just thumb pressure on the back of the slide. Other failures required me to drop the mag and eject the rd. I was using several different brands of ammo that had previously proven reliable in my LCP and PPK.

mitchell4198
04-09-2014, 10:27 PM
About 10% of my first 150 rds failed to feed properly.

My failure rate was 11% out of 600 rounds. Now it is back at Kahr for repair.

Hope yours does better after the 200 round break-in. If you go much over 200 rounds and still continue to have problems, send it back to them for repair. Don't waste over 600 rounds like I did.

muggsy
04-10-2014, 06:39 AM
Sorry for my poor terminology; I should have said slide release lever (not slide lock). Professor Greg's solution was spot on and solved the problem quickly. Some of the other proposed solutions involved a big hammer and brute force. Now if I can just get the thing to feed properly. About 10% of my first 150 rds failed to feed properly. In most instances it stripped the rd out of the magazine OK but the slide failed to close completely (about 1/2" open). In some cases I was able to close the slide with just thumb pressure on the back of the slide. Other failures required me to drop the mag and eject the rd. I was using several different brands of ammo that had previously proven reliable in my LCP and PPK.

Dave, I think that most of us knew what you were talking about. Not all of us are anal retentive. It just like Wrigley's gum. Some call it an arrow and some call it a spear. Glad to hear that Beardog's links helped to resolve your slide issue.

ammodave
04-10-2014, 08:58 AM
My failure rate was 11% out of 600 rounds. Now it is back at Kahr for repair.

Hope yours does better after the 200 round break-in. If you go much over 200 rounds and still continue to have problems, send it back to them for repair. Don't waste over 600 rounds like I did.

Yep, my plan is to do another 100rds before throwing in the towel and sending it back to Kahr. It's a nice little pistol and I'd like to get it to work properly if I can.