PDA

View Full Version : *** Updates *** CW380 break-in

bobbyh
04-19-2014, 02:07 PM
Update 4/26: I shot 100 rounds of WWB flat-nosed 95 gr. FMJ ammo with zero malfunctions last week.

Update 5/3: I shot 100 rounds of 90 gr. PMC FMJ and had 3 FTF and 2 stove-pipes this time around. I was expecting to have no issues with this ammo? I will throw some of the same PMC down range next week after a cleaning and further polishing to see if maybe my pistol prefers other ammo.

I will re-iterate how much I like the trigger on the CW380 compared to any of my prior 380's.

Hi everyone,

I just want to add my experience with my new CW380. I initially prepped it per Jocko's recommendation thread.

I only had some WWB flat-nosed 95 gr. FMJ ammo. I heard some people have had issues with the flat-nosed ammo in the Kahr 380's so I was a bit apprehensive about using it.

My first magazine had 2 FTF's. The second magazine had one stove-pipe.

After that I didn't have an issue as I put 100 rounds down the range! My accuracy wasn't the best; but I was in a rush and just trying to do some initial break-in the range. The Kahr trigger on this tiny pistol is a dream.

I would like to say that this is the best .380 I have shot so far and will hopefully serve me well in the summer months. I previously had a Diamondback DB380 that was a POS jammo-matic even after a trip back to the factory; will never buy from them again. I also have a LCP that has been nothing but reliable; however I don't like the trigger, the lack of slide lock after the last round, and the awful sights.

This is my second Kahr. I also have a CM9 that coincidentally had the same issues in the first few magazines but has been problem free for 600+rounds so far.

Sorry for the long winded thread. This new .380 wasn't my first Kahr and won't be my last.

kwh
04-19-2014, 02:32 PM
My CM9 CW45 and CW380 all took a couple of magazines to settle in, and great thereafter. Was glad for comparison to DiamondBack and Ruger. I had at one time considered each of them. How did the recoil/muzzle flip compare between those three .380's?

Bill K
04-19-2014, 02:37 PM
Welcome to KahrTalk!

Having a reliable .380 to carry during the summer months will be real sweet.

bobbyh
04-19-2014, 03:47 PM
My CM9 CW45 and CW380 all took a couple of magazines to settle in, and great thereafter. Was glad for comparison to DiamondBack and Ruger. I had at one time considered each of them. How did the recoil/muzzle flip compare between those three .380's?

It's been a while since I had the DB380 as I was an somewhat early adopter. I had so many issues early I kind of forgot about the recoil/muzzle flip on that one. After I got it back from the factory I had the same issues and traded it in on the LCP.

The LCP recoil/muzzle flip was kind of harsh as the gun is so thin/light even with a Hogue grip on it. I was always trying to find a sweet spot on the trigger but never could. If the CW380 never came along I would still use it for summer carry.

The CW380 in just the 100 rounds does not bother me at all with regards to recoil/muzzle flip. I expected it to be harsher than my CM9; but honestly it doesn't feel that much different. I have Talon grips on it and being just a bit thicker/heavier than the LCP makes it more comfortable to shoot.

kwh
04-19-2014, 08:06 PM
The only Micro .380 I have shot is the Kahr. Surprised how little recoil there was,I had heard that the micros were not that pleasant and one of the many reasons I never bought one. Thanks for the comparison.

bobbyh
05-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Updated original thread as I couldn't figure out how to bump it by itself.

Jollyrogers
05-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Bobby, I experienced the same results w/ PMC. But mine runs flawlessly with Blazer, federal and CD. Fiocci is game over, stay away from it IMO.
Mine is a P380 and is a pleasure to shoot!

bobbyh
05-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Bobby, I experienced the same results w/ PMC. But mine runs flawlessly with Blazer, federal and CD. Fiocci is game over, stay away from it IMO.

Thanks for the information; I will give some of them a try on my next range trip and then look for a reliable defense round. I have some CD left over from my LCP and I'm hoping they will be the ticket.

It's getting really expensive to shoot in this caliber!

shlike
05-04-2014, 07:08 PM

Interesting. My CW380 loves Fiocci Extrema JHP. I would make that my regular defensive ammo, but it's hard to find. I wish I could find more of it, as it is reasonably priced, gets very good performance reviews, and works well in my gun. I'm now using Hornady Critical Defense as my defensive ammo, which runs flawlessly in my gun as well, as you reported.

mmncw
05-05-2014, 06:54 AM
Interesting. My CW380 loves Fiocci Extrema JHP. I would make that my regular defensive ammo, but it's hard to find. I wish I could find more of it, as it is reasonably priced, gets very good performance reviews, and works well in my gun. I'm now using Hornady Critical Defense as my defensive ammo, which runs flawlessly in my gun as well, as you reported.

Are those the Fiocci that use the Hornady XTP bullet? If so, they function 100% in my P380 also, but I haven't seen them available lately.

shlike
05-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Are those the Fiocci that use the Hornady XTP bullet? If so, they function 100% in my P380 also, but I haven't seen them available lately.

Yes. The Extrema XTP is what I was using, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Jollyrogers
05-05-2014, 11:18 AM
the Fiocci my P380 had problems with is the FMJ 95grain loads. I gotta drop them into my case gauge and mic them to see what the issue is. Haven't tried Fiocci JHP, only federal Hydra-Shok and Hornady CD, which have been flawless.