View Full Version : New Gong

100percent
05-08-2014, 08:42 AM
A few days ago I decided to put up a new berm on my range. We have a 50' pistol berm made so that we can recycle the lead and a 40 yard gong.

I put the new berm near the far edge of our pasture, about 120 yards from our patio, the back porch of our home.

After I got my days work done I built up a new gong. I have a number of pieces of 1/2" thick plate. In the past I have welded old door hinges to them but found that the hinges got torn up inside a year. My new design uses a heavy hinge put behind the plate.
http://veloliner.com/range/newgong.JPG
http://veloliner.com/range/newgong1.JPG

I painted the face of it and my wife and I plinked it with a 22. Will be fun trying to hit it with hanguns.

Bawanna
05-08-2014, 10:16 AM
My gawd, there's finally someone else on this forum almost as gosh durn good looking as me. Someone who understands the pressures of being the gold standard of awesome good looks.
Dealing with woman struggling to compare their average looking boyfriends and husbands to us with depressing results.

I'm not alone........................

Nice gong too. I long to be able to shoot off my back porch. Still legal but if I did much the neighbors I'm sure would whine after a time and it wouldn't be for long.

jocko
05-08-2014, 10:23 AM
wow u sure know bow to flatter yourself colonel. Just sayin.

Bawanna
05-08-2014, 10:25 AM
I'm must glad modesty has always been one of my attributes. I'd probably be tough to be around if I flaunted myself ya know?

100percent
05-08-2014, 11:29 AM
I'd asked my wife to get a closeup of the gong construction and instead get a pic of some old redhead installing it.

I've got a pretty good quantity of used galvanized water pipe to use for stands

Jollyrogers
05-09-2014, 11:49 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/10/8asebe6e.jpg

My plate setup out back. Pretty much use it for pistol only. Need to setup a gong geared for rifle, but thinking of a tree instead.

berettabone
05-09-2014, 12:43 PM
I hope you guys realize just how lucky you are, to have setups like these. Some of us, unfortunately, have to pay for the privilege, and sometimes, encounter some not so educated(safety) shooters.

Jollyrogers
05-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Oh, we pay for the privilege, land costs, no decent internet, etc... but it's worth it. Fixing to head out back now, welcome to join me anytime, cost is your brass... unless you are a reloader;)

DavidS
05-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Oh, we pay for the privilege, land costs, no decent internet, etc... but it's worth it. Fixing to head out back now, welcome to join me anytime, cost is your brass... unless you are a reloader;)

They ain't making more land so it ain't getting any cheaper. Glad I bought mine when I did. My wife spent her entire life in cities. She was a little worried when we decided to move out into the boonies. Took her about two months to decide that she never wanted to move back to the city.

Yeah, no decent internet, no cable, no pizza delivery, iffy cell phone service. On the other hand, a shooting range, throwing rocks in the pond with the grandsons, deer in the front yard at night, hiking adventures with the grandsons through the trees, and on and on and on ......

Rbodine
05-09-2014, 03:26 PM
I'll take that over the city any day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100percent
05-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Yep, I agree there is always a cost. We have capped internet that is expensive. For my wife and I, being able to do this sort of thing is worth it. Shooting, reloading, dirt bikes, mtn bikes, hunting and some farming.

We have shot at our 40 yard and 50ft ranges with centerfire rifle and it isn't much fun. The targets take quite a beating, Although 223 and 30/30 basically just produces a a dent and a lot of spall. Should be better at 120 yards. Line of sight we have a max of 150 yards because of the hills and woods.

Bawanna
05-09-2014, 04:02 PM
I desperately wanted to buy my grandparents old homestead in Bowling Green MO about a year ago. Guy that has it now wasn't making payments and the bank was gonna foreclose and auction it. Have a cousin that works at a bank there and I was already to jump in.
The ole boy claimed he didnt know he was in foreclosure and paid up to date and the bank accepted it. Never happens like that here in Washington. Once foreclosure starts you done.

Anyhow it turns out it was 96 acres. I got a plot plan and even though it was weird shape I figured I could get a 960 yard range and nearly everything up to that as well. I had a spot plotted out for shotgun too. My wheels were spinning something fierce for a bit. The beauty is all the surrounding property were farm fields with now houses or even farm sheds. Only house for miles around. The house is a loss, would cost too much to try and save it much as I'd like to. Many fond memories in that house.

Alas it apparently wasn't meant to be.

berettabone
05-09-2014, 05:01 PM
I hope you guys realize just how lucky you are, to have setups like these. Some of us, unfortunately, have to pay for the privilege, and sometimes, encounter some not so educated(safety) shooters.
Like I said..................

AIRret
05-09-2014, 05:03 PM
I desperately wanted to buy my grandparents old homestead in Bowling Green MO about a year ago. Guy that has it now wasn't making payments and the bank was gonna foreclose and auction it. Have a cousin that works at a bank there and I was already to jump in.
The ole boy claimed he didnt know he was in foreclosure and paid up to date and the bank accepted it. Never happens like that here in Washington. Once foreclosure starts you done.

Anyhow it turns out it was 96 acres. I got a plot plan and even though it was weird shape I figured I could get a 960 yard range and nearly everything up to that as well. I had a spot plotted out for shotgun too. My wheels were spinning something fierce for a bit. The beauty is all the surrounding property were farm fields with now houses or even farm sheds. Only house for miles around. The house is a loss, would cost too much to try and save it much as I'd like to. Many fond memories in that house.

Alas it apparently wasn't meant to be.

I'm sorry, that really is a sad story!
Seriously, family homestead, a great place to shoot!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!

AIRret
05-09-2014, 05:07 PM

Don't speak too soon………you will have half the forum out there over the next year!!!
Nice set-up, I'm jealous!!!!