PDA

View Full Version : P380 Magazine nosedive - Fixed!!

MarkB1
06-05-2014, 08:21 PM
What might cause the first or second round to nosedive in the magazine when the slide tries to strip the round from the magazine after the round in the chamber is fired?

The magazines have been cleaned, deburred and slightly lubed. The springs are installed correctly.

muggsy
06-06-2014, 05:51 AM
The nose of the bullet may be coming into contact with the slide stop. You can check for this condition by removing the slide and reinserting the slide stop pin. Then insert a loaded magazine and slide the first round forward with your thumb. If the bullet contacts the slide stop remove the offending metal from the slide stop with a file or Dremel. You can also check to see if the magazine followers are moving freely in the magazine.

MarkB1
06-06-2014, 09:10 AM
Thanks. I've checked and smoothed out the followers before this problem. I'll check the stop.

MarkB1
06-06-2014, 05:32 PM
muggsy,

Thank you!

I think you may have hit the problem. I was having the nosedives with the BB 80gr Barnes bullet. I don't recall having the problem with the ball ammo. The Barnes bullet has a slightly wider profile than the normal ball FMJ bullet.

Following your advice, I checked the bullet/slide stop clearance with the slide off. What I found is the Barnes bullet just barely clears the protrusion on the slide stop when the round is all the way in the magazine and hard against the rear stop of the magazine. If I move the round forward just 1/32" the Barnes bullet lightly hits the slide stop protrusion as you thought it might. It's not unreasonable to think the round in the magazine may move a little forward during firing.

I'll remove some of the protrusion after I check to see how much is needed to allow the magazine follower to lift the slide stop consistently when the magazine is empty.

Thanks for helping to clear up some of the mysteries of the P380.

muggsy
06-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Here's hoping that your feeding problem is solved. Glad to be of help.

bob98366
06-06-2014, 10:49 PM
The nose of the bullet may be coming into contact with the slide stop. You can check for this condition by removing the slide and reinserting the slide stop pin. Then insert a loaded magazine and slide the first round forward with your thumb. If the bullet contacts the slide stop remove the offending metal from the slide stop with a file or Dremel. You can also check to see if the magazine followers are moving freely in the magazine.

+1 Had exactly this problem and fix with two CW40s. Used fine sandpaper to reduce and smooth the metal on the slide stop. You might have to take off more than just allowing the loaded magazine to pass, since when firing the violence may cause the slide stop to contact the round being loaded. Also, consider using bullets with a more conical shape (Hornady, etc.). Worked for me.

MarkB1
06-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Much thanks to muggsy and for the confirmation from bob98366!!

The nose dives appear to be fixed!!

I took muggsy's advice and filed down the protrusion on the slide stop so the bullets of the loaded BB 80gr Barnes rounds would clear that protrusion while still maintaining enough for the magazine follower to lift the slide stop on an empty magazine.

I did not have enough time to do any extended shooting but I stopped in to the range and let off 15 rounds (3 mags with 5 BB 80gr Barnes rounds and 1 fmj round) rapidly - shoot the mag and reload and shoot the next mag.

I had ZERO nosedives and each mag locked open the slide when empty. The P380 ran like a clock!

I have to do more shooting to confirm the fix but my trust in my P380 has risen considerably.

Again, thank you muggsy!

This fix is another example of just how good this forum is. Everyone should know of this fix.

TeaDub
06-11-2014, 06:47 PM
Excellent news! I'm new here, but it's great to hear of members taking advantage of the extensive knowledge base on the forum. There is lots of good information to help out. Hopefully your gun will prove to be a long term companion. Mine is well on its way. My CW380 is one of my favorites.

gb6491
06-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Much thanks to muggsy and for the confirmation from bob98366!!

The nose dives appear to be fixed!!

I took muggsy's advice and filed down the protrusion on the slide stop so the bullets of the loaded BB 80gr Barnes rounds would clear that protrusion while still maintaining enough for the magazine follower to lift the slide stop on an empty magazine.

I did not have enough time to do any extended shooting but I stopped in to the range and let off 15 rounds (3 mags with 5 BB 80gr Barnes rounds and 1 fmj round) rapidly - shoot the mag and reload and shoot the next mag.

I had ZERO nosedives and each mag locked open the slide when empty. The P380 ran like a clock!

I have to do more shooting to confirm the fix but my trust in my P380 has risen considerably.

Again, thank you muggsy!

This fix is another example of just how good this forum is. Everyone should know of this fix.
Excellent! Many thanks for sharing your results:)

KUDOS to muggsy as well:yo:

Regards,
Greg

muggsy
06-13-2014, 03:08 PM
I may not know it all, but I know a few things. ;)