View Full Version : Service Life

dkelly27
06-18-2014, 10:57 AM
What is the expected service life of the CW9 and other Kahr polymer framed pistols?

Bawanna
06-18-2014, 11:03 AM
Your most likely never gonna wear one out.

DavidR
06-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Jocko has more than 32,000 rounds through his, but bear in mind that with Jocko that could be a typo.

jocko
06-18-2014, 01:14 PM
What is the expected service life of the CW9 and other Kahr polymer framed pistols?

that is not even a que3stion that needs an answer. I have yet to see any real quality gun ever serve out its life. every fking part is replaceable in a kahr, glock,k smith or what ever.If u break a part u replace it.

I sold guns for over 40 years and never had I ever seen a gun SHOT out. I have seen some real abused guns but that has nadda to do with service life.

I meet the fella who has a harley in the Harleyu museum with over 1 million miles on it, with true documentation. Its a 99 ultra classic, now this bike has had hundreds of new ties put on it, many new batteries, many top ends done to it, but it looks the same as the day he bought it, so to me SERVICE LIFE of damn near any product is up to the owner, not the maker.
Oe of the few gun makers that I ever knew who regrets today making that statement to was kel teck when asked about life of thier little 380. They said 6K rounds. Members rebucked it, as again, all parts were replaceable if need be.

Would one throw a glock away if it broke a striker pin at 10K rounds as being now shot out???. :Amflag2:

b4uqzme
06-18-2014, 03:29 PM
^^^^ almost Jocko. I think you DO have to start out with a quality product....then the rest is up to the owner. I certainly agree that I expect (even polymer) firearms to last indefinitely with proper care.

jocko
06-18-2014, 03:54 PM
I state a quality gun, not a kel tek, which is certainly not quality but I hve never seen one shot to the point of junk either. Polymer guns are not cheap plastic, certainly cheap compared to a metal gun that would require some machining. Lots of polyme ri our military m4'S AND WHAT SOME would call pot metal: Fokkers work though.

Metal will always be around i guns for there are those who want it, so they will make it, but I think the new youner generation is more product innovative minded than us ol timers who are set in our ways, and therefore accept new materials, where as kmany of us like the ol adage of "IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT". just sayin

I remember when the Glock 17 first came out, It was not accepted. It took awhile. We never seen anythinbg like that before.In many ways it was like the advent of the compound bow It took some time for it to be accepted ad more than anythig it just took the time for us ol foggies who were set in our ways and a bow should shoot wood arrows with flints etc. Youth today basically have no clue what a recurve is even, LET ALONE WOOD ARROWS or back in my dasy COMPRESSED Cedar shafts was the ultimate wood shaft back then. Gary B knows what I am talking about.

stoshmo
06-18-2014, 05:26 PM
I have over 1000 rounds threw my cm40 and the firearm works great but.like jacko said parts need replaced the frame and the slide may never need replaced but springs little parts ect yes will always need replaced in enything u buy man made as i. Am a machanic and no this to well iv seen many cars go 300.thousend miles but u always have to fix or replace something may not be the engine block or heads but batterys altanatrors radiaotors of course will fail a firearm is no different u use it aventully something will need to be replaced u wont be dissapointed with ur buy just keeps itr cleaned and lubed and if something happens to it.call kahr and they will hook u up did for.me many times have nothing bad to say about.kahr firearms or there cs

dirtkicker
06-18-2014, 06:37 PM
I have over 1000 rounds threw my cm40 and the firearm works great but.like jacko said parts need replaced the frame and the slide may never need replaced but springs little parts ect yes will always need replaced in enything u buy man made as i. Am a machanic and no this to well iv seen many cars go 300.thousend miles but u always have to fix or replace something may not be the engine block or heads but batterys altanatrors radiaotors of course will fail a firearm is no different u use it aventully something will need to be replaced u wont be dissapointed with ur buy just keeps itr cleaned and lubed and if something happens to it.call kahr and they will hook u up did for.me many times have nothing bad to say about.kahr firearms or there cs

I think we've found little Jocko aka Stoshmo :)

b4uqzme
06-18-2014, 08:49 PM
jocko jr.

muggsy
06-18-2014, 08:55 PM
I have a feeling that someone was just insulted here, but I'm not sure whom. :)

JohnR
06-19-2014, 07:07 AM
When enough Kahrs wear out that a statistically meaningful set of data can be compiled, we'll all be the first to know. That hasn't happened yet.

dkelly27
06-19-2014, 08:22 AM
I tend to agree with all of you. I was just wondering what people thought. I love my CW9 and it functions just fine. I have a S&W 645 that I have been shooting for 27 years and the only things that needed to be replaced were the extractor and the sear.
It went full auto once and let me tell you,that is an experience. I also wanted to say that I have a Star Ultrastar 9mm and it is polymer also and a great shooter.

jocko
06-19-2014, 09:44 AM
because one owns a gun for 27 years means nadda if it hasn't got thousands of rounds through it. I doubt if most shooers excluding pro's ever shoot 10K rounds out of one gun anyway. It is costly to say te least.

all things I guyess have some kind of life expectancy, including US.

dkelly27
06-19-2014, 10:16 AM
My point was that all my guns have been shot a lot and have stood up to some abuse. It shows that quality guns are just that. Quality. Clean and lube when your supposed to and don't hop up the reloads and they will outlast you.

jocko
06-19-2014, 12:26 PM
yup correct on all points..

KDaddy
07-08-2014, 02:26 PM
Is there a maintenance guide that shows spring replacement schedule? I probably have about 3k rounds through my P9 over the past 10 years. I'm sure I have life left but I'm curious about the recommended replacement intervals.