PDA

View Full Version : A fair article on open vs. concealed carry in NC

aray
06-21-2010, 02:23 PM
A surprisingly fair media article:

In N.C., you can let your gun show - Crime/Safety - NewsObserver.com (http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/06/21/543334/in-nc-you-can-let-your-gun-show.html)

Dietrich
06-21-2010, 04:52 PM
This really is a good article and I am extremly happy and surprised that the News and Observer ran it.As a general rule,the N&O is heavily left leaning and anti-gun.I`ll have to drop them a note of thanks for unbiased reporting for a change.I am a native North Carolinian and have lived here all of my 59 years.I don`t open carry except in the woods. I firmly support a person`s right to open carry if they so choose but as for myself,the less attention that`s directed at me,the better I like it.

Bawanna
06-21-2010, 05:17 PM
the less attention that`s directed at me,the better I like it.

I'm with you boo boo. I'm not a real fan of open carry. I could see it being a nice thing if you slipped up and played show and tell but usually even where open carry ain't allowed if you got a permit you can explain your slip up and walk away.

wyntrout
06-21-2010, 07:58 PM
I think that open carry should be legal everywhere, but I would rather keep my being armed covert and a surprise... an advantage, should I actually have the need to use my weapon. Open carry marks you as one of the first problems to be eliminated... like my favorite 'Whack a Mole". Or you could just be targeted by someone who wants your weapon and can grab it or attack you from behind.
With open carry legal, if you inadvertently expose your weapon, it's no big deal. In some places that's illegal. Open carry is not legal in Florida, but we can have a cocktail in a restaurant and still be able to defend ourselves... but I imagine you would would be under greater scrutiny for having imbibed, so you had better be in the right. Impairment will be investigated, including sobriety tests.

Florida Statutes 790.151 Using firearm while under the influence of alcoholic beverages, chemical substances, or controlled substances; penalties.--

(1) As used in ss. 790.151-790.157, to "use a firearm" means to discharge a firearm or to have a firearm readily accessible for immediate discharge.

(2) For the purposes of this section, "readily accessible for immediate discharge" means loaded and in a person's hand.

(3) It is unlawful and punishable as provided in subsection (4) for any person who is under the influence of alcoholic beverages, any chemical substance set forth in s. 877.111, or any substance controlled under chapter 893, when affected to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired, to use a firearm in this state.

(4) Any person who violates subsection (3) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(5) This section does not apply to persons exercising lawful self-defense or defense of one's property.

History.--s. 1, ch. 91-84; s. 1210, ch. 97-102.

Wynn

rholmes69
06-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Yeah , that is the one thing about NC's laws that drive me crazy, I can't be sitting with my family in a restaurant and be armed. I could understand to a degree not carrying into a bar, but sitting down at Outback with the family? Sheesh...

wyntrout
06-22-2010, 04:24 AM
We can CCW and enter banks, too, which is comforting if I'm picking up cash or taking some to deposit. I just renewed my driver's license here. I had to show a birth certificate, SS card, some form of picture ID, and two pieces of mail like bills with your address... a bunch of new federal requirements. I wonder if that applies to illegals.
I missed the part about needing the mail and I had to really scrounge in the vehicle and my wallet. Luckily they took a copy of my FCC Amateur Radio License with my station address. I pay everything I can on the 'Net, so I don't get a lot of bills in the "snail mail", anyhow. I passed the quick eye test and the 20-question exam on road signs... 100% on both, so no restrictions. The dang license fee was over twice the last renewal... $61! They charge you a $6.25 fee for using the DMV services... and other fees as well. I hope that I can renew by the Internet again next time.
Oh, I was trying to get to being able to CCW in the DMV office or not. I didn't, but I really looked and could find no prohibitions against it. That's one of those places that people can go nuts.
When we dine out, I try to get a seat with a good view and limited chance for someone to sneak up behind me. I like being able to have adult beverages with my meals... wine, at least. Carrying a weapon makes me think about what I'm doing and I stay aware of my condition and am very cautious.
Wynn:D

medezyner
06-22-2010, 07:51 AM
We have OC here in the “Live Free or Die” state and I lean towards supporting it, but with a few issues:
1. Knuckleheads with an axe to grind. Wanting to draw what ends up as negative attention frost my arse. Make a positive statement to make your point, not a counter-productive negative one. If you’re going to be a positive influence on your right to carry, then you better present yourself in a positive light. I’d like to club the guy like a baby seal who walks down the street OC with a movie camera & the sole purpose of busting the chops of the local LEO.
2. If you OC, then at least use a level 1 retention holster. Wake up sh**-for-brains, law enforcement uses them for a reason! If you carry for personal protection, it’s just not about YOUR personal protection; it’s yours, your families’s and yes, the public’s protection. Engage the grey matter between your ears and make every effort to make sure that firearm stays in your hands only.
Jez...I’m ok now. I gotta get decaffeinated. :crazy:

Dietrich
06-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah , that is the one thing about NC's laws that drive me crazy, I can't be sitting with my family in a restaurant and be armed. I could understand to a degree not carrying into a bar, but sitting down at Outback with the family? Sheesh...
I know the feeling,my friend.Seeing that N.C. has a zero tolerance policy when you carry,what difference does it make if you`re in a restaurant that serves alcohol?As long as you`re not partaking,so what? I suppose it`s another pathetic attempt by our N.C. lawmakers to write a good set of statutes.They always end up screwing the pooch sooner or later.Seriously,those people shouldn`t try to think,they`re not good at it.

deadhead1971
06-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Mu understanding is that NC law is silent on open carry. It is not expressly prohibited nor is it expressly allowed. So folks interpet it to mean that since it is not prohibited, it's allowed.

jocko
07-19-2010, 02:08 PM
just expect to be challenged with OC. I personally shy away from exposing my weapons to the public or for that matter the BG also. Been carrying for 48 years, always concealed, never once challenged over it either. It might be an enumerated right but so are the consequences that come with it. My 2 cents.

jocko
07-19-2010, 02:29 PM
It is an enumeratedright to be challenged, harrassed, oppressed, retaliated against?:eek:

ur right but also we don't like it either..

jocko
07-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Who doesn't like what? Please clarify.

is legal in Indiana with a ccw permit but trust me you willget challenged by damn near every LEO that see's it. Some business will politely tell you to put the gun up or leave. Just the nature of the beast.

Try walking down town in Indy around the circle area. where they just had BLACK EXPO WEEK and 10 blacks were shot in down town Indy yesterday.

Don't get me wrong folks I am an advocate of ccw but I think to openly challenge the system will maybe someday reverse on us. I'm certainly not here to argue it either, as opinions are ask and opinions are given and then we all have to decide which road to travel. I just choose to not draw attention from ANYONE..:bump2:

try walking into an Indiana gunshow with open loaded carry and u will not make it past the front door....

DKD
07-19-2010, 03:42 PM
I tend to agree with most of the others members here, although it should be universally acceptable, to carry in the open, I still prefer to carry concealed for all of the other good common sense reasons enumerated by others on this post.
At times I may carry openning when afield hunting, but I also hunt on private lease land and then once back in public I switch my weapon and method of carry.

jocko
07-19-2010, 03:44 PM
I tend to agree with most of the others members here, although it should be universally acceptable, to carry in the open, I still prefer to carry concealed for all of the other good common sense reasons enumerated by others on this post.
At times I may carry openning when afield hunting, but I also hunt on private lease land and then once back in public I switch my weapon and method of carry.

done the same thing, we can now in Indiana carry a handgun while bowhunting, Never could before, so my handgun is on my side instead of my pocket when bowhunting..

Jeremiah/Az
07-20-2010, 03:19 PM
I carry both ways, OC & CCW. I have never had a negative comment when OCing, but it is pretty common here in Az. You have had to carry open if you did not have a CCW, but that law will change on 7/29/10. Any legal citizen w/o a felony can carry concealed w/o a permit.