PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of the CM45

Antiacus
01-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Not too much info on it here, so here's my mini-review.

I've had it for about a month now. Paid around $360 at Bakers Boots in Eugene (great shop).

I've got 200 rds down the pipe and i've been carrying it in a bullseye pm45 holster. It's quite serviceable and well built but i'm having trouble finding that sweet spot to carry it at. I appreciate that you can tuck in your shirt behind the clip, pretty cool feature. Here's a pic:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0485/9325/products/Bullseye_IWB_one_clip_Left_large.jpg?v=1405625955

I started with some hand-loads. My dad is a compulsive hand-loader and has thousands of 45 on hand so i figured what a great way to get through the break-in period. Unfortunately he has them loaded just a tad over saami spec (for length) and they wouldn't feed well.

Since then i've got 100 rds of Rem UMC fmj down the pipe and 50 rds of Speer Gold Dot +P 200gr which i'm currently carrying. The box says 1050fps so i'm assuming somewhere around 950-975fps through the little barrel on the CM45. Not a single failure of any kind using factory ammo thus far. I've yet to clean it and it's digesting everything i feed it.

I have to admit I was a little concerned about being able to control a sub-compact 45. Within just a couple magazines through the CM those concerns were put to rest. I have medium sized hands and i can get a full 3 finger grip. It's small enough that i seem to be able to get a really tight purchase on the thing. Even shooting one handed recoil was extremely manageable, i would say just as light recoiling as my Shield 40, and for that matter more pleasant to shoot than my P3AT due to the heft (or lack thereof). I've owned Glocks, Kel tecs, Taurus's, Berettas (several), and this trigger is for me by far the best. I can't get over how nice it is. Buttery smooth, predictable, i love it.

I'm still getting used to the gun. I'm pretty accurate with slow fire, but i'm having trouble getting dialed in in rapid fire. It's a new relationship, there's always a feeling out period.

The only negatives i can think of are that the take down could be a little easier and a rail would be nice.

I can't believe what a fine pistol this is for the price point. I'll update the thread with muzzle velocities on the 200gr gold dots if there is any interest.

BEARDOG
01-16-2015, 07:45 AM
Good mini review! Glad to hear your happy with your new CM45.
(Maybe your dad could run some of his reloads though his seating die again and shorten some up a little for you to try?)

I think it is a great gun too. Mine has been 100% reliable. I have posted my mini review and some pics back when they were first released when I got mine, and I agree I am a little surprised there is not more posts or interest about them here. (But here of late that is probably a good thing on this forum :rolleyes:)

I carry mine more then any of my other Kahrs. This fall/winter I have been carrying it in a high ride OWB rig that is easily covered and concealed by my over shirt/coat, its lightweight and short barrel allows it to comfortably ride high and tight in it.

It is one of, if not THE smallest/lightest .45acp auto pistols made and that makes it a very nice, and powerful carry gun IMO.

HAP1978
01-16-2015, 08:42 AM
Thanks for post and info. I've been wanting to get me one of those and your post makes me want one more.

b4uqzme
01-16-2015, 08:54 AM
I finally broke down and got one recently and now I wonder why I waited so long. I kept telling myself I didn't want a .45 carry pistol unless Kahr made one in stainless (just call me blue-boy while I hold my breath waiting for that one). Turns out the CM45 is actually a sweet shooter despite its light weight. The size is right too. I don't mind losing the one round vs. the CW for the extra concealability. I've been carrying mine in a simple Bulldog Cases slide and it's an all-day gun. And the price? That's a heck of a nice pistol for under $400 IMHO.

Thanks for the review OP.

BEARDOG
01-16-2015, 09:04 AM
I finally broke down and got one recently and now I wonder why I waited so long. I kept telling myself I didn't want a .45 carry pistol unless Kahr made one in stainless (just call me blue-boy while I hold my breath waiting for that one.

:faint2: Better breathe blue boy!

ScottM
01-17-2015, 07:45 AM
Great review. I put another 100 rounds of WWB and 20 rounds of CD through mine this week. I had one FTE due to limp-wristing it and one jam with a bad round that had a cleft lip, but otherwise everything fed great. Very accurate for its size - I can hold 5" groups at 50 feet using the stock sights. Now that I have a couple hundred rounds through my CM45, I'm just about ready to trust it for concealed carry.

b4uqzme
01-17-2015, 02:34 PM
^^^^ same here. I need another 50 error free rounds before it gets the official OK. But I'm already pretty confident in this CM45.

O'Dell
01-17-2015, 05:47 PM
I like mine too, and since I only use factory, brand-name ammo, it has run fine. It's a cheaper replacement for the PM45 I lost in a burglary several years ago. I carry mine on a belt holster, but it will work in a heavy jacket pocket.

slowplay
01-20-2015, 03:00 PM
I bought a CM45 a couple of months ago for EDC use. I do like it, but I only have 150rds of somewhat mixed ammo through it. It has run 99%. Not a real soft shooter, but certainly not bad at all and very good accuracy with my loads, a pleasant surprise. As I said, I do like it, but.......I'm going to get rid of it. Problem is, as I got it for EDC, it needs to be UNLOADED each evening at home, and trying to do that dick dance of getting the chambered round out has pretty much ruined it for me. I thought I saw some type of cure for the problem, but cannot find it. Not to mention the ejector & extractor pretty much ruin the fired brass. If ejecting the round from the chamber could be corrected, I would overlook the buggered up cases & maybe keep it. Any thoughts on my probs??

ScottM
01-20-2015, 03:49 PM
Pull the magazine before unloading the chambered round so that it falls out the well?

BEARDOG
01-20-2015, 04:02 PM
I bought a CM45 a couple of months ago for EDC use. I do like it, but I only have 150rds of somewhat mixed ammo through it. It has run 99%. Not a real soft shooter, but certainly not bad at all and very good accuracy with my loads, a pleasant surprise. As I said, I do like it, but.......I'm going to get rid of it. Problem is, as I got it for EDC, it needs to be UNLOADED each evening at home, and trying to do that dick dance of getting the chambered round out has pretty much ruined it for me. I thought I saw some type of cure for the problem, but cannot find it. Not to mention the ejector & extractor pretty much ruin the fired brass. If ejecting the round from the chamber could be corrected, I would overlook the buggered up cases & maybe keep it. Any thoughts on my probs??

Don't sell your CM45 because of that problem it is easily fixed. All you need to do is break/polish the edge of the barrel hood with a stone or file.

*I will add info/pic link when I find my past posts about this.
Here it is. See Greg's pic
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?25011-Kahr-CM45-problems&p=317836#post317836

Yes this seems to be an issue with some Kahr 45's. My CM45 would not eject live rounds either.
But it is an easy fix, you just need to break/stone the edge of the barrel hood and then polish. That will give you enough room to eject live rounds. I did this and have no problem ejecting FMJ, LSWC, Ranger 230 gr HP ammo now.

Greg has an excellent pic showing exactly what to do in post #7 here.
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...592#post119592 (http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?10123-P45-wont-extract-unfired-round&p=119592#post119592)

ScottM
01-20-2015, 04:34 PM
Beardog, you rock!

b4uqzme
01-20-2015, 04:39 PM
slowplay,

I'd hate for you to have to sell your CM45. But I agree it pretty much sucks. I guess it hasn't been an issue for me because I rarely unload it. The gun has been going straight from my hip to the bedside safe...loaded...then back on my hip again in the morning. But, when I do need to unload, I just borrow a wooden spoon, drop the mag, and tap the round out. Greg and BEARDOG's fix is the best route but if you are lazy like me...or not one to want to grind on your barrel...

P.S. this won't hurt my extractor will it?

TheTman
01-20-2015, 06:06 PM
I just filed the bottom of the corner of that hood that hangs off the top of the barrel on my CW40, and that fixed the problem on it, I need to do the same on my CM45. The CW40 didn't take much filing at all. My CM45 slide was so tight when new, that I could barely rack it to chamber a round, but after around 140 rounds through it, it is loosening up nicely. The range officer saw me working hard to chamber a round, I'm sure he was thinking "what a wuss" and came up grinning asking if I was having a problem, and I said it's a new gun and the slide is pretty tight, so he asked if he could see the gun. He grabbed and started to rack it like it was no problem, but the slide only moved a half inch or so, and It took him quite a bit of effort to rack the slide too, and he finally chambered a round, and handed it back, without the grin on his face, and said "Damn! that IS tight", and that he'd put about 500 rounds through it before he would carry it, and got the hell out of there. I'm no weightlifter or anything, but there just isn't anything to get a really good grip on, to rack the pistol when it's that tight. Throw in a touch of arthritis, and it's not easy at all. I wish it had something you could really get a hold on better than the serrations at the back of the slide. Perhaps some serrations at the front of the slide as on some 1911's might help, or some kind of tool that would grip the slide, with a handle you could put some weight into. But it has loosened up quite a bit, and not near the beast it was to rack the slide and chamber a round. The point of all that is; that kept me from hand racking the slide to loosen it up, and I had a few jams towards the beginning of my break in, but they were happening much less frequently as I got near the hundred round mark. It seems the last 4 or 5 mags went through with no problems. I've been using two 5 round mags, and two 6 round CW45 mags, and both work well. I tried the 7 round mags, but it didn't like them, but that was early in the break in. I'll try them again once I get my 200 trouble free rounds through it with the 5 and 6 round mags.
My first CW45 wouldn't feed from the 7 round mags, and Kahr couldn't or wouldn't fix it, so I sold it and was going to try another one, then they announced the CM45, so I decided to wait and get one of those instead of the CW, and I waited and waited and waited, nearly as long as it takes to read one my posts. :) And they never did show up, then Kahr said the CM45 was on hold because of the CW380 selling so well (one more reason I don't like .380's, LOL) finally after about a year and a half, I saw a great deal on a CW45 and bought it, not knowing if the CM would EVER be available, and wanting a Kahr .45, and of course a week or two later they had CM45's in stock for $299, so I grabbed one while it was in stock and on sale, and traded the new CW with 6 and 7 round mags to the shop owner that worked on my daughters car. So far, I'm really liking the CM. It's a perfect fit for my small hands, recoil isn't much, if any worse than the CW, and a bit easier to conceal, and plenty accurate for it's purpose.

BEARDOG
01-20-2015, 06:26 PM
B4uqzme, I agree and I too keep my carry guns loaded and holstered all the time, so removing loaded rounds isn't a daily thing I do either. But other people may have different situations and reasons to do it.

But, I would not carry a gun that I could not eject a live round from easily just in case I had a bad round that didn't fire and had to rack it out to load another in a self defense situation.

If it helps, I took a pic of mine showing the fix. It is not much work and very little material should be removed. Just light stoning followed by a quick dremel polish job.

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/BeardogV1/CM45fix.jpg (http://s958.photobucket.com/user/BeardogV1/media/CM45fix.jpg.html)

slowplay
01-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Thanks to all for your help & comments about my problem. I guess it is my good luck that others have the problem also. Beardog, thanks, that was the thread I was interested in finding again, don't know why I couldn't locate it. Maybe I'll touch up that area around the relief cut & see if it helps. I've tried 3 different factory loads +1 handload, so I don't think it is an ammo prob. Carry ammo is Fed 230 HS, good stuff-should work. Again, good help from good people, can't beat it.

b4uqzme
01-20-2015, 07:38 PM
OK BEARDOG.. You talked me into it. I'll get off my lazy...

Thanks

southern thunder
01-23-2015, 01:52 PM
good post.

hardknocks1
01-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Hello
Is this being reported with the PM 45 ?
I am considering one this year
Thanks

ScottM
01-23-2015, 09:35 PM
OK BEARDOG.. You talked me into it. I'll get off my lazy...

Ditto - I tried it tonight and I think it's fixed my issue! I just need to get to the range now and make sure I haven't moused anything else up in the process.

I did make a video in case it helps. Not comprehensive or scientific, but maybe it contributes a little. Special thanks to Beardog for the outstanding pictures and description!

http://youtu.be/Qjdj3Ilq5yM

dbracin
01-24-2015, 06:24 AM
Good video.

CPTKILLER
01-24-2015, 08:55 AM
For the basic purpose of any Kahr, a rail is of questionable value.

BEARDOG
01-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Nice video Scott M !

Antiacus
01-26-2015, 10:32 PM
For the basic purpose of any Kahr, a rail is of questionable value.

True, ATM i don't have a "house gun" and a little light would be good to mount on there for home duty. I certainly can't complain with this amazing sub-compact though, it has too much going for it in other areas.

OnTime
03-15-2015, 02:27 PM

Had the same problem with my CM45. Called Kahr and they said they were aware of the problem and to send it in. They emailed me a prepaid shipping label within 5 min. Got the gun back in a week and it works fine now.

Dbholfo
03-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Hardknocks1: Hello
Thanks

I think following the sticky about CW & other poly pistols (by Bawanna) in the new members forum is really helpful regarding fixing PM45 issues. I did strip mine and used toothpaste to polish the ramp section of the barrel. I spent about a quarter hour polishing and cleaning the barrel. I'd only shot 60 rounds since buying it so it wasn't dirty but I did have the "3rd round hang" I'm trying to overcome. Now that our weather is warm I'll take it to the farm ("range") and check it out and see if it needs more adjustments.

Bills1873
03-24-2015, 06:53 PM
Got a CM45 and a PM9 recently. WOW! Couple of really great shooters! PM9 being a fun shoot is a given, but I have even more fun shooting the CM45! I never would've believed I could run 100+ rounds through the little gun without discomfort, what a joy to shoot. After 200+ rounds, the 45 is reliable and digests ALL ammo. The PM9 never faltered out of the box. Kinda boring, as I read all that was printed on this great forum on how to fix all problems. What a value these little guns are!

Antiacus
07-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Just a quick update. Ran my defensive ammmo thru the chrony. Speer 200gr +p runs an average of 975fps through my CM45. Seems pretty acceptable to me out of such a short barrel.

Bawanna
07-15-2015, 05:13 PM
Thanks

I think following the sticky about CW & other poly pistols (by Bawanna) in the new members forum is really helpful regarding fixing PM45 issues. I did strip mine and used toothpaste to polish the ramp section of the barrel. I spent about a quarter hour polishing and cleaning the barrel. I'd only shot 60 rounds since buying it so it wasn't dirty but I did have the "3rd round hang" I'm trying to overcome. Now that our weather is warm I'll take it to the farm ("range") and check it out and see if it needs more adjustments.

While I'd love to take credit for that masterpiece "The CW and other poly fixes" that's the work of a much better and smarter fella than me. GB Greg. That and Jocko's breaking in a new Kahr thread are priceless.

jocko
07-15-2015, 05:19 PM
Got a CM45 and a PM9 recently. WOW! Couple of really great shooters! PM9 being a fun shoot is a given, but I have even more fun shooting the CM45! I never would've believed I could run 100+ rounds through the little gun without discomfort, what a joy to shoot. After 200+ rounds, the 45 is reliable and digests ALL ammo. The PM9 never faltered out of the box. Kinda boring, as I read all that was printed on this great forum on how to fix all problems. What a value these little guns are!

Nice thing abut the cm45 is that u can actually see the bullets leaving the gun. Just sayin Traces not even needed.

jocko
07-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Thanks

1000 grit paper willdo a much better job. wrap it around a small dowel and do the chamber also. 3rd round hang, check to see if the foll,owers could be grabbing the magazine release button in that area..

Dbholfo
07-19-2015, 02:30 PM
I've been shooting it without issues since the polish job. In fact the next time out I was doing some move and shoot drills at varying distances and I suddenly realized it was ejecting every round. No more hanging of that 3rd round. I was amazed at how a little Colgate could smooth it enough to make a difference. After the drills I shot this from 7 yards:
http://www.kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12812&stc=1

I posted in another thread that seeing the first 3 rounds hit messed me up because I began watching the target and not the sight picture. The first 3 were in the center. I no longer use those targets.