View Full Version : Thoughts on first firing of PM45

hsart
09-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Writing this to help purchase decisions for my fellow handgunners. I am a 60 y.o. non-military or police. Interest is personal defense of home and family, and concealed carry. Some neuro problems in hands so was particularly interested in recoil issues. Other handguns - Glock 19. Ammo used for the first firing - Speer Lawman FMJ 230 gr and Remington UMC FMJ 230 gr.

I was surprised that my hands were able to get a good grip with my pinky finger resting on the bottom edge of the mag. I was expecting a heavy recoil, but I would estimate that recoil was only 20% heavier than my Glock 19 9mm, which surprised me – was expecting much hotter recoil. In fact I would categorize the PM45 recoil as between light to moderate and should be able to be handled easily by most. I have some hand and wrist problems and was wondering how many rounds I would be able to shoot before tiring. After a series of 20 rounds in my G19, then 70 rounds in the PM45, and another 20 in the G19, there was absolutely no issues or fatigue, and absolutely no marks or rubs on my hands, though I did notice that during firing the grips felt a bit rougher than my G19. I did notice that recapturing the frontsight after each shot required very slightly more time than the 9mm Glock, but certainly in the hardly noticeable category. Trigger release was longer than I am used to and wonder how that would affect speed of multi-round firing, since the trigger reset needed to go forward almost all the way to reset. I would suspect that the long trigger reset plus the heavier recoil together would considerably slow down a 3-shot sequence. Trigger pull was smooth though. The magazine, most of the time would not drop and needed to be pulled out. Not sure whether a quicker press of the mag release button will solve this or perhaps just the breaking in of the gun will loosen it up. I was also expecting that my groupings would be quite a bit wider than the Glock which I shoot regularly (3000-4000 rounds through it this year), since the PM45 is not broken in and first time shooting a .45. Once again the difference was not too noticeable, though I was shooting a little low at times. I purchased the PM45 because I wanted a concealable handgun with the most stopping power, figuring that if it was too hot to handle I would sell it and get the PM9. Ammo also seems to be getting easier to find now through a few online sources. So far it looks like a keeper.

jocko
09-23-2009, 11:34 AM
nice report, u got both of your desires in one purchase. concealability and firepower.

Now just shoot it like u stole it. More rounds down arange and u and the gun willget well amted up and your groups will get smaller..

hsart
09-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Good point. I did forget to mention that I wanted maximum firepower along with concealment and home defense.

kpm9
09-23-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm diggin my PM45 more and more. It's initial teething problems has worked itself out (no more mag dropping) and the recoil is manageable and becomes more over time.

dkcabell
09-24-2009, 03:40 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with the PM45. Compared to my PM40, the recoil is extremely mild. And I like the slightly larger and longer grip. It will be a little tougher to conceal but I think I'll like it.

I did have to send mine back to Kahr (for which they kindly picked up the shipping). It fed great, shot great but was ejecting about every 5th empty directly into my forehead. Distracting to say the least, down right dangerous really. Get it back tomorrow...we'll see.

jocko
09-24-2009, 06:15 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with the PM45. Compared to my PM40, the recoil is extremely mild. And I like the slightly larger and longer grip. It will be a little tougher to conceal but I think I'll like it.

I did have to send mine back to Kahr (for which they kindly picked up the shipping). It fed great, shot great but was ejecting about every 5th empty directly into my forehead. Distracting to say the least, down right dangerous really. Get it back tomorrow...we'll see.

PM40 is smaller in frame structure to and one will hear alot more complaints about recoil out of the polymer 40 cal versions any day over the very nice polymer 45's.

I have never owned a pM40 but if I did, I would surely magna port it...

hsart
09-26-2009, 02:09 PM
I used 50 rounds Lawman 200gr fmj, and had 2 FTFeed and 1 FTFire. 2 rounds hit me squarely on my safety glasses. I also fired 50 rounds of Remington 230gr MC with no issues. A majority of rounds were ejected quite fast and far directly behind me and a little left - about 10 feet... not sure this is normal. I have Mepro Nightsights and have some difficulty finding and focussing on the front sight at the range which is fairly low light. Still pleased with this handgun. Total of 170 rounds through it... guess I should figure out how to disassemble and clean. Would be interested to know how often others clean their PMs. I clean my Glock 19 every 300 rounds or so, but figure the Pms need to be cleaned much more often.

gearguy
10-13-2009, 08:03 PM
I clean my PM45 and PM9 after every range session.

jocko
10-14-2009, 09:02 AM
I used 50 rounds Lawman 200gr fmj, and had 2 FTFeed and 1 FTFire. 2 rounds hit me squarely on my safety glasses. I also fired 50 rounds of Remington 230gr MC with no issues. A majority of rounds were ejected quite fast and far directly behind me and a little left - about 10 feet... not sure this is normal. I have Mepro Nightsights and have some difficulty finding and focussing on the front sight at the range which is fairly low light. Still pleased with this handgun. Total of 170 rounds through it... guess I should figure out how to disassemble and clean. Would be interested to know how often others clean their PMs. I clean my Glock 19 every 300 rounds or so, but figure the Pms need to be cleaned much more often.

PM's models need cleaned any more often than any other semi. I would say un less you are just lazy that cleaning every 200-300 rounds would be suffice. I would not carry a defense gun though knowing it had 300 rounds without cleaning. to me just asking for trouble, so there fore my PM9 is cleaned after each shoot merely because it is my carry peace,...

Mold Guy
10-19-2009, 08:29 AM
PM40 is smaller in frame structure to and one will hear alot more complaints about recoil out of the polymer 40 cal versions any day over the very nice polymer 45's.

I have never owned a pM40 but if I did, I would surely magna port it...

I carry a PM-40 daily with CCW in Kalifornia. And are you ever on-the-money about recoil. This little guy gives your hand a real spanking when shooting.

My first choice was the PM45, but it was not available in my state as of the purchase date, hence the (downgrade).

If anyone at Kahr is watching this forum, please tell us if/when they plan to get the PM45 on the CA approved list.

And YES, it had some feed issues too! BTW, Kahr resolved that issue over the phone with me: Their advice was to stay completely away from the Hornady ammo. And they were right.

jocko
10-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Mold Guy. I am not sure of the PM45 will get komifornia complaint. The PM40 I am pretty sure was grandfathered in before they made their ridicoulus komifornia rules.

I think the new PM9 with the LCI and manual safety willbe komi fornia complaint.