PDA

View Full Version : New Kahr MK9 questions?

CPL88
03-01-2015, 01:19 PM
I recently picked up a new Kahr MK9 Elite 03 and put approximately 200 rounds through it so far without any reliability issues. I did notice a little bit of peening on the barrel hood today when I torn it down to clean it. Is this something that is normal wear?

b4uqzme
03-01-2015, 01:46 PM
Yes a small amount is normal and common. You can usually shine it up a bit and it will be less noticeable.

Ikeo74
03-01-2015, 01:47 PM
It depends on what your defination of "peening" is. You will get some "scuff" Marks but the finish should not flake off of the top of the hood.

berettabone
03-01-2015, 04:46 PM
I don't have ANY peening on mine after 1000 rds., so................................................ .....

Alfonse
03-01-2015, 06:51 PM
My MK9 has a bit of contact on the front of the shroud (muzzle end) and in a corresponding spot on the slide. I works fine. I will shoot it a bit more and then probably clean it up a bit. I do not consider it a problem.

If it is like my PM9, after 3 to 4 hundred rounds, I could polish it up and it would stay looking pretty much like I left it.

My pretty new K9 is the same way.

CPL88
03-01-2015, 08:31 PM
It is definitely peening, not scuffing. The metal from the barrel hood is displaced at the breach where the slide and barrel come in to contact when the gun is in battery. I'll just keep an eye on it to see if it migrates any further. Thanks for the replies, I was just trying to a general idea if this was normal wear.

CPTKILLER
03-02-2015, 08:22 AM
Make sure that it is lubricated properly. I love mine and it has nothing unusual on it.

Alfonse
03-02-2015, 08:57 AM
It is definitely peening, not scuffing. The metal from the barrel hood is displaced at the breach where the slide and barrel come in to contact when the gun is in battery. I'll just keep an eye on it to see if it migrates any further. Thanks for the replies, I was just trying to a general idea if this was normal wear.

That is just like my MK and K.

Barth
04-12-2015, 10:34 AM
My MK40 Elite likes to be lubed up to run.
Was using Militech 1 and switched to Ballistol.
Keep it lubed and keep shooting...

VoodooSan
04-18-2015, 10:58 PM
Yes a small amount is normal and common. You can usually shine it up a bit and it will be less noticeable.

Can the barrel be polished up? Or would that in anyway cause a problem?

b4uqzme
04-19-2015, 05:32 AM
Are you asking about removing a scuff? IMO you can polish it a bit to make the scuff less noticable. But you wouldn't want to polish all the way through the nickel plating.

if you are talking about just making the barrel look better, the opinions are mixed: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?26437-Kahr-Barrel-Polish-Mod&highlight=Polishing+barrel

VoodooSan
04-19-2015, 12:08 PM
Are you asking about removing a scuff? IMO you can polish it a bit to make the scuff less noticable. But you wouldn't want to polish all the way through the nickel plating.

if you are talking about just making the barrel look better, the opinions are mixed: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?26437-Kahr-Barrel-Polish-Mod&highlight=Polishing+barrel

Thanks for posting that link!