PDA

View Full Version : Polishing an MK40

mr.ed
07-05-2015, 08:39 PM
I recently acquired a MK40 circa 2000/2001 manufacture. For reasons that can only be explained by growing up in the south and having a touch of redneck in my blood, I'd like to polish her to a mirror shine. Okay - I'll take the abuse from the masses for a crazy idea, but, any ideas on how to safely polish her up to a shiney nickel like finish?

Thanks!

CJB
07-05-2015, 09:01 PM
to avoid rounding corners... I'd use nothing more than Flitz, and/or Mothers, with a rag, and elbow grease.
If you find hidden tool marks, you can try to level them with 400g then 800g paper and suitable support (ie, a red art eraser), the Flitz/Mothers.
If you don't do the support, and run paper using your finger pressure, you'll end up with a dipsydoodle finish (high and low spots).

Buffout on a wheel can be tricky... you round corners. Dremel will leave dipsydoodles in the finish.

mr.ed
07-05-2015, 09:45 PM
CJB - good advice and thanks. I can get Dremel happy but your caveat makes a lot of sense.
Thanks!

Barth
07-18-2015, 12:05 PM
IMHO Jocko is one of the board experts on polishing a Kahr to a mirror shine.
His CM9 looks like you could shave looking at your reflection off the slide - LOL.

PM Jocko.