PDA

View Full Version : First Range Report Slight Magazine Problem

BobK
01-12-2016, 09:33 AM
I brought my brand new CM 9 to the range and loaded with Freedom Munitions 124gr Hornady hollow points. I had bought a second magazine from one of the members here that has the Pierce finger plate. Starting shooting just to break the gun in. I went through around 100 rounds with everything flawless. Somewhere along the line I would start loading the factory mag that came with the gun and after inserting the third round either the spring or the follower would hang up and you could just dump the rounds out of the magazine and the follower was stuck in that position. If I put the three back in and then continued to load the mag it would load and shoot all rounds. This occurred a number of times and then finally while shooting the follower got stuck and failed to chamber the next round. This was hit and miss for the rest of the approx 250 total rounds fired. The CM9 itself functioned perfectly as long as the mag kept feeding and not getting hung up. I also shot around 100 rounds of cheap Federal 115 aluminum case rounds also with the same situation. New mag with problems used mag perfect. I remember reading about mag issues and will do a search. Do you think there is a very easy fix or should I contact Kahr and see if they will send a new mag out? By the way I bought the CM9 after having bought a Kimber Solo and having multiple issues with it and sending it back to Kimber. Once back from Kimber it has shot their recommended ammo perfectly but once you get that feeling of lost reliability it is hard to shake it.

Alfonse
01-12-2016, 11:19 AM
It sounds like it is hanging up on the hole for the mag catch. You might be able to debur it. Check the follower as well and make sure it has a smooth transition from the top to the sides where the mag catch hole is as well.

You can probably tape some 320 or 400 grit sandpaper around the end of a pencil and carefully sand the edges of the mag catch hole from the inside to fix the mag. Somebody will have a more elegant suggestion I expect.

Boom
01-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Do this first. Disassemble the magazine, the slide the mag body into the grip til it locks in like normal. Now slip the follower and spring up in the mag body, and see if it meets any resistance when passing by the mag catch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BobK
01-13-2016, 07:11 AM
Update, I got a chance to take the mag apart and found that the rear of the follower had broken off because when I took the plate off a little piece of plastic fell out. I called Kahr and they have a new follower in the mail.http://www.salesexcellenceaward.com/photos/i-FqxfM8j/0/M/i-FqxfM8j-M.jpg

340pd
01-18-2016, 08:53 AM
This REALLY helped my PM9 function more to my liking. I did not do this as extensively as the diagram suggested. Just a dowel, and some 440 sandpaper, and five or ten minutes for three mags, and I was good to go.

rowdy115
01-18-2016, 09:21 AM
Try Lakeline metal mag followers when you get tired of the plastic ones. I bought one for all of my cm9 mags. I had to take a nail file to the front edge of the metal followers because they were also occasionally hanging up on the mag catch hole as well. Good to go ever since and they won't break!

BobK
01-18-2016, 12:51 PM
Yes, I got the Lakeline follower and it is already in the mag and the replacement from Kahr hasn't even showed up yet and even when it does it will sit in a drawer.