PDA

View Full Version : MK9 GAxxxx Wood Grip Options?

Pondo
03-21-2016, 07:26 PM
Maybe I'm flogging a dead horse, but are there any wood grip options for my GAxxxx MK9? From anybody?

b4uqzme
03-21-2016, 08:38 PM
I don't believe so. Alfonse is the grip guru. Maybe he can tell you exactly what needs to be modified to get the Hogue grips to fit. Or better yet. Maybe his G10 grips fit. They are great! LakelineLLC.

Alfonse
03-21-2016, 08:44 PM
The G10 grips don't fit the GA frames. The G10 grips are the same width as the nylon grips on the later pistols, a total of 1" wide. I understand the wood grips are a bit thicker, and so taking the boss off of them might work on a GA frame. The issue to look out for is if there is enough material left on the upper screws to hold the grips on the pistol.

Maybe someone can come along who has taken the wood grips, removed the boss for the upper screw, and gotten them to fit. I have never played with the wood grips, so I don't know for sure. I'm going by the reports that they are thicker than the stock grips. If they need longer screws too, there is a good chance they could be adapted to fit.

b4uqzme
03-21-2016, 08:54 PM
Bummer on the G10. I can attest the wood grips are indeed much thicker than stock or Alfonse's G10. They do require longer screws also so maybe there's enough wood there at the upper screw. OP, if you are good with a dremel, it might be worth a try. It's only money! ;)

Bawanna
03-21-2016, 10:54 PM
There's plenty of wood and much can be removed. The screw holes can be recessed a bit deeper so the stock screws will work too.

I've told myself that I'm not going to make anymore Kahr grips, just too complicated and time consuming but I may just have to whittle some out.
The frame changes plus having to borrow a MK9 which incidentally is a GA adds to the frustration.

The Hogue grips from Kahr can be modified to work, it's been done before.

Cokeman
03-22-2016, 12:33 AM
Are GAs the only prefix that is difficult? I think mine is a GC.

I wish someone would make grips like this.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Misc/SWm642.jpg
https://www.hogueinc.com/data/store/products/818420846.800x800.jpg

b4uqzme
03-22-2016, 05:54 AM
GCxxxx's are fine. You can use the Hogue wood grips (some need a tiny bit of fitting near the bottom screw but it's very minor). And Lakeline's G10 grips fit perfect.

berettabone
03-22-2016, 08:41 AM
We've been down this road before.....................not only isn't there enough wood for the top screw, but in some cases , the screw holes don't even line up. Tighten the screws too much, or use longer screws, and your magazine will not dropout.

Pondo
03-22-2016, 08:34 PM
Really? Thanks Bawanna! I'm kinda handy with such things. If you thought it would be possible, I'd order some plain wood grips from the Kahr site and go to town. I might bug you for some advice, if it would be ok. Thanks again.

Bawanna
03-22-2016, 11:16 PM
I know I've taken the GA ones and made them fit the newer version for sure. I thought I'd done the reverse as well but best not quote me on that.

I've taken several of the Hogues from Kahr and slimmed them down considerable and then checkered them.
They were nearly as thin as the stock rubber grips.

It's all pretty confusing, I sure wish it weren't the case but it is what it is.

SgtSupz
07-15-2016, 07:16 PM
My MK9 has ser# GA18xx. I ordered wood grips from Kahr and got them today. The holes line up perfect. The bottom screw didn't quite reach the frame so I took off about 2-3 thousandths on the inside of the grip where the bottom screw hole is. They fit great. The magazine drops great. The factory screws work fine. I'm very happy I decided to order the wood grips even though Kahr said They wouldn't fit my MK9. Your mileage may very