PDA

View Full Version : What direction to go with recoil spring weight for the K40?

RogerP9fan
08-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Hey guys, I'm intertested in the K40 and just curious about the different recoil spring weights. The factory standard is 20# and Wolff offers a reduced power 18# and also 22# and 23# extra power springs.
Which one should I choose if I want to reduce felt recoil?
(I'd go with the Speer GD 165 grain)

ripley16
08-02-2010, 05:30 AM
The heavier spring should handle recoil better, provided it maintains reliability of course. Heavier is better especially if you shoot lots of +P.

jlottmc
08-02-2010, 05:39 AM
I like heavier springs for a different reason. That goes something like I tend to shoot long strings, and toward the end when my chamber starts getting fouled, I like the heavier springs in my guns to give the slide just a little more push then. I also think they tend to make the gun more reliable as well, for what ever reason the chamber gets stuff in it. I do also shoot +P often when I'm in the field as well though.

RogerP9fan
08-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks guys, now I know which springs to order.

jocko
08-02-2010, 03:45 PM
I like heavier springs for a different reason. That goes something like I tend to shoot long strings, and toward the end when my chamber starts getting fouled, I like the heavier springs in my guns to give the slide just a little more push then. I also think they tend to make the gun more reliable as well, for what ever reason the chamber gets stuff in it. I do also shoot +P often when I'm in the field as well though.

10-4 on what u said..:33:

jocko
08-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Hey guys, I'm intertested in the K40 and just curious about the different recoil spring weights. The factory standard is 20# and Wolff offers a reduced power 18# and also 22# and 23# extra power springs.
Which one should I choose if I want to reduce felt recoil?
(I'd go with the Speer GD 165 grain)

was mine I would flip a coin and go either 22 or 23# . eithe rone will make your gun IMO more reliable and changing recoil springs will not be as often as the 2-0# factory springs.

Now figure this out, the K40 ahs 20# and the PM40 comes with 18# sprigns same as the PM9, that never made any sense to me. The PM40 IMO should at least have the 20.5 springs. they sure do work nice in my PM9.

Wolffs tests their stuff out IMO better than most gun mfg-ers. That is their business to do so..

Kahr also uses wolffs springs in their guns.

RogerP9fan
08-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Good points jocko, yeah, it makes sense that the .40 calibers should have heavier springs. Glock also uses the same spring weight in their 9mms as they do in their .40s...... Gee, no wonder the .40s kick hard! (all other ballistics considered as well)