PDA

View Full Version : Where to shoot a Tommy Gun?

car
09-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Where do y'all shoot your Tommy Gun?

The ranges around here don't allow them.

shooter313
09-03-2009, 01:34 PM
IS yours a full auto tommy gun? Or just a semi like most of the ones made these days?
If it is a semi, I dont see WHY any place would ban the shooting of them..(unless you live in CA anyway, in which case they would ban breathing if they could.):mad:
I have never seen a range in my area of NY that does not allow you to shoot ANY gun, as long as it is not full auto, or if you use a device that simulates a full auto firearm. News to me. :confused:
Do you know this for a fact, or was it just told to you by a member of the club? If so, I would check with one of the officers, and read the rule book for your club.
Good luck to you.:)

stans4
09-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Haven't had a problem here, but I'm in a tommygun-friendly state(CO). Have regular .50 cal. shoots where they have a lot heavier ordnance than tommy guns. I have run across clubs, in other states, mostly run by "Fudds", that disallow just about anything but bird guns and traditional deer rifles. Even civilian pistol shooting is kind of discouraged. The inevitable question was,"Wadda ya need that for?".

Do you have anything like a county or state park range around? Had those in IA, they didn't care what you fired as long as it was legal and you didn't tear up the facilities.

Uncleboomboom
09-03-2009, 02:04 PM
I have no problems here in NH. The local outdoor range that I belong to allows subguns to be used at its 25 yard range anytime.
We also have an indoor range here that actually rents machineguns to the general public. :D

WMD
09-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Wow! Why would a range restrict the firing of a 45 cal semi auto rifle? My 30'06 hunting rifle will do more damage. Sounds like the range may be influenced by all of the "cosmetic" laws that have been tossed abaout over the years. What state is the range in?

Bennett Prescott
09-03-2009, 02:25 PM
The Thompson Submachine Gun, in any of its variants, is banned in CT and mere possession is a felony... that may be the case in several other states that have remnants of the federal assault weapons ban.

Uncleboomboom
09-03-2009, 02:56 PM
I just discovered that: "Connecticut does not allow select fire machine guns. Only fully automatic machine guns are allowed under the Assault weapons ban." Wow, how stupid is that!
In addition, with the correct NFA stamps you may own:
Machine Guns (not select fire)
Silencers
Any Other Weapon (AOW)
Destructive Devices (DD)
Short Barreled Shotguns (SBS)
Short Barreled Rifles (SBR)
So you're only chance of owning a Thompson semi-auto would be to purchase one with a 10-inch barrel as an SBR with an NFA Form 4.
I'd move!!!!! :(

gstone42
09-03-2009, 04:43 PM
The only problem I have had at our local range is people getting mad at me for throwing HOT brass 25' down the line...really cant blame them. I quit going for that reason. My M1 throws the hell outta the brass. Anybody else?

gstone42

Uncleboomboom
09-03-2009, 06:40 PM
The only problem I have had at our local range is people getting mad at me for throwing HOT brass 25' down the line...really cant blame them. I quit going for that reason. My M1 throws the hell outta the brass. Anybody else?

gstone42

I've never seen a Tommy cause such a ruckus. :eek:

car
09-04-2009, 02:14 PM
CT---that explains it. Complete BS. Thanks for the replies.

kyletx1911
10-28-2010, 02:26 AM
no prob here in texas

Ghostsoldier
10-29-2010, 07:46 AM
No problems here in Florida....;)
Rob