PDA

View Full Version : Hello and newb CW40 barrel and feed question

N8t
01-16-2017, 06:58 AM
Hi, I'm an owner of a CW40 that I bought used and I've put a couple hundred rounds through. I was at the range last night and noticed sometimes it wouldn't chamber the next round without me slapping the magazine. It only happened two or three times out of about 90 rounds shot. I was using Winchester 165grain FMJs. An internet search didn't reveal much, other than a potential magazine problem or trying different ammunition. I was always under the impression that Kahrs were not very particular about what brands you put through it. Also, upon cleaning I noticed a dent in the breech of the barrel and I couldn't remember if that was always there. Again, an internet search didn't return much. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://i68.tinypic.com/n2o8yc.jpg

N8t
01-16-2017, 07:13 AM
FYI... found this, I may try polishing the feed lips on the magazines a bit. Still don't know about the barrel though.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?29784-CW9-Rounds-are-chambered-halfway

Bawanna
01-16-2017, 08:30 AM
If it's been feeding reliably and now balks occasionally the cartridges might be just a tad long over all length.

I'd take the barrel out and give it the plunk test. I drop the cartridge in the barrel and the push it in with finger or thumb, then turn the barrel over. The round should just fall out. If it don't it's hitting on the lands in the barrel.

The dent if your referring to what I think you are is to facilitate unloading live rounds. In some cases with certain ammo the very tip of the bullet hits the barrel hood right at that point. Early models didn't have that dent and a few minutes with file or dremel usually accomplished the same thing.

Is there any build up on top of the barrel hood. In some cases the barrel will peen against the frame. Don't see it often now days but once in awhile in the early days. That would oft times keep the gun from going into battery as well.

gb6491
01-16-2017, 09:18 AM
Hi, I'm an owner of a CW40 that I bought used and I've put a couple hundred rounds through. I was at the range last night and noticed sometimes it wouldn't chamber the next round without me slapping the magazine. It only happened two or three times out of about 90 rounds shot. I was using Winchester 165grain FMJs. An internet search didn't reveal much, other than a potential magazine problem or trying different ammunition. I was always under the impression that Kahrs were not very particular about what brands you put through it. Also, upon cleaning I noticed a dent in the breech of the barrel and I couldn't remember if that was always there. Again, an internet search didn't return much. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://i68.tinypic.com/n2o8yc.jpg

If it's been feeding reliably and now balks occasionally the cartridges might be just a tad long over all length.

I'd take the barrel out and give it the plunk test. I drop the cartridge in the barrel and the push it in with finger or thumb, then turn the barrel over. The round should just fall out. If it don't it's hitting on the lands in the barrel.

The dent if your referring to what I think you are is to facilitate unloading live rounds. In some cases with certain ammo the very tip of the bullet hits the barrel hood right at that point. Early models didn't have that dent and a few minutes with file or dremel usually accomplished the same thing.

Is there any build up on top of the barrel hood. In some cases the barrel will peen against the frame. Don't see it often now days but once in awhile in the early days. That would oft times keep the gun from going into battery as well.
Welcome to the forums N8t :)
The green arrow in the photo below points to the area Bawanna so admirably addressed.
On the off chance you were speaking of the spot that the red arrow points to, I don't believe that it would be of any concern in regards to the operation of the pistol.
http://i65.tinypic.com/11bn7nt.jpg
Would you please elaborate on your statement that "sometimes it wouldn't chamber the next round without me slapping the magazine."
Is it failing to pick up another round or just not fulling going into battery with the next round?

If it's the latter, have you detail stripped the upper and cleaned all the parts (to include the extractor tunnel)?
Also, as you bought the CW40 used, I'd be inclined to replace the recoil spring.

Regards,
Greg

Ken L
01-16-2017, 10:26 AM
I just checked my CW40 and mine does not have that gouge in the hood. Yours is definitely hitting something it shouldn't!

I should have refreshed and read Greg's post. Mine does not have the dent indicated by the green arrow that Greg marked up.

N8t
01-16-2017, 11:47 AM
I just checked my CW40 and mine does not have that gouge in the hood. Yours is definitely hitting something it shouldn't!

I should have refreshed and read Greg's post. Mine does not have the dent indicated by the green arrow that Greg marked up.

Another user indicated that the dent was added in later models to allow for clearing. Thank you though.

N8t
01-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Welcome to the forums N8t :)
The green arrow in the photo below points to the area Bawanna so admirably addressed.
On the off chance you were speaking of the spot that the red arrow points to, I don't believe that it would be of any concern in regards to the operation of the pistol.
http://i65.tinypic.com/11bn7nt.jpg
Would you please elaborate on your statement that "sometimes it wouldn't chamber the next round without me slapping the magazine."
Is it failing to pick up another round or just not fulling going into battery with the next round?

If it's the latter, have you detail stripped the upper and cleaned all the parts (to include the extractor tunnel)?
Also, as you bought the CW40 used, I'd be inclined to replace the recoil spring.

Regards,
Greg
Thanks for the info. I have not detailed stripped it. I did not know how to access the smaller bits and I actually found some good instruction for it on the forums here today. I guess you can call the problem a failure to feed, if I tapped the bottom of the magazine the slide would snap back and feed the next round into the battery. Like it just wasn't pulling off the round from the magazine all the way. From looking here I found that it could be the magazine feeders need sanded a bit, it could be hanging on the feed lip of the barrel, even though it is polished to a mirror shine, or the recoil spring isn't strong enough. I was really surprised because a friend of mine has the PM9, and even though it is a higher quality, he has never once had any problems with it and it has been his common carry gun for years and years.

Bawanna
01-16-2017, 12:01 PM
Sounds like cases of where the stripper on the slide is too square and not getting behind the cartridge almost.

Lock the slide back and insert a magazine with a round in it. See if the stripper on the breech face is behind the cartridge or if its sitting underneath.

It could be under fire it usually retracts enough to pick it up, but occasionally doesn't........

This used to be rather common but again, haven't heard of it lately.

N8t
01-16-2017, 06:05 PM
Thanks Bawanna, I will try that and the drop test you mentioned. Very good info. Thank you.