View Full Version : Slide Stop Rust Issue

mattroach
08-27-2010, 02:34 PM
I have had my P380 for about about a month now.
I have been totally happy with it with one issue.
The pin portion of the slide stop that extends through the lever portion has started rusting. Just the small circle that can be seen from the outside when the gun is assembled and no where else. I carry the gun frequently, but keep it clean. Has anyone else had this issue? I know it won't affect any functioning, but it just looks bad.
I would post pictures, but I have already buffed it out.

jocko
08-27-2010, 02:49 PM
keep it polished and lubed with gun grease and it will be OK. Not totally sure if the pin portion is stainless even. it might not be for some reason ..Some stainless still will show signs of rust for stainless has iron in its misture.. Your ok, just shoot it like you stole it. damn nice gun. the most accurate 380 i ahve ever shot..

mattroach
08-28-2010, 05:22 AM
Jocko,
Thanks, I will quit being picky about it now.

jlottmc
08-28-2010, 08:45 AM
I had the same problem on my P45, here's what I came up with: 1. Butt sweat=no good for any metal 2. Round the slide stop and give a bit of polish 3. Barricade rust preventer 4. Oil is your friend, both on the gun and a dab in the holster.

wyntrout
08-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Butt sweat!? Where are YOU keeping your gun??:confused:
Have you been playing with Dietrich again??

Wynn:boink::D

jlottmc
08-28-2010, 09:19 AM
I carry IWB at about 5-630 depending on the gun and the day. Usually tucked. I have to use deep cover at work, and for some other places that I really shouldn't be carrying, but do. I also sweat like a pig in the TX heat.

wyntrout
08-28-2010, 10:06 AM
I remember. :) I've spent about 20 years in Texas and considered myself a Texan until I moved back to my birth state in '97. I was stationed at Abilene (~9 years in B-52's, '74 - '83)), lived in San Antonio > 5 years (wife was stationed there At Brooks AFB until retirement in '96), stationed in San Angelo > 1 1/2 years('65 - '67), lived in Pasadena ~ 2 years('57 - '59), and > 3 months(?) in Houston ~ '57(?). I also went to San Antonio for basic training in '64 and OTS in '72, plus other shorter TDY's.
I helped make Abilene "wet", and helped vote in "W" for two terms as governor.
Wynn:)

jlottmc
08-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Then you must have been around in 80. That's kind of what we're having this year for summer. The days it gets hotter than hell remind a whole bunch of folks of that year. It was 110 around here last week. BTW my ole' man thanks you for making abilene wet, and I could skin you for it...

wyntrout
08-28-2010, 11:17 AM
The military vote made the difference, but it still took several votes and years.
We used to have to drive to Buffalo Gap or out of the county for adult beverages.
Wynn:)

Dang, watching "Restoring Honor" on CSPAN. A few tears....

jlottmc
08-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Now the old man can walk around the corner. Which is good because he got busted on a DWI not too long ago. The liquor store there know him so well that when does use the drive through, they have it ready before he gets there, and a biscuit for the dog all waiting for him. Other than that great thing to make that town wet, there is nothing else going for it.