PDA

View Full Version : Cw380 going back to kahr

vinnier6
08-17-2018, 05:38 PM
Finally going to send it back, just can’t bet my life on it...500 rounds and still having failure to feed/return to battery with the occasional failure to reset trigger with round in chamber and sometimes a lock back with rounds in magazine....

i really want to like this gun, but until it works, it’s one shot and then it’s a rock

boscobarbell
08-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Have you tried doing the extractor mods mentioned here in several threads?

This isn't a matter of idle curiosity, btw...I hope to shoot my new P380 in a week or so after I take the pistol home and do the recommended break-ins, and I'm wondering if I'll have to drum up the courage to work on the extractor.

RustyIron
08-17-2018, 10:04 PM
You might as well tune up the extractor. If you read what it's all about, you'll do it, get it right, and be a happy man. If you get it wrong, who cares? A plunger and an extractor can't be more than ten or twenty bucks. That's a small price to pay for an education.

topgun1953
08-18-2018, 07:01 AM
Have you tried doing the extractor mods mentioned here in several threads?

+1 inquiring minds want to know

vinnier6
08-20-2018, 02:48 PM
Didn’t try to fix it yet, was done spending money on ammo trying to break it in. I figured I would have kahr fix it since they paid for shipping and they obviously know there is a problem...

if if they send it back and it still doesn’t work, then I will try the extractor mod.

for now, it’s on them...I really want to like this gun since it fills a niche, but until it’s right, I will stick to my Glock 26

Lineman101
08-20-2018, 06:47 PM
I purchased a new extractor from Kahr and received today. The extractor has been reshaped with a slight flare on the bottom. It looks like the one in the YouTube video. About $20 delivered.
FYI

boscobarbell
08-20-2018, 08:19 PM
I purchased a new extractor from Kahr and received today. The extractor has been reshaped with a slight flare on the bottom. It looks like the one in the YouTube video. About $20 delivered.
FYI

So...Kahr is shipping extractors that have the mods already done? Interesting....

Do you happen to have a link to that video you are referencing?

Lineman101
08-20-2018, 09:43 PM
So...Kahr is shipping extractors that have the mods already done? Interesting....

Do you happen to have a link to that video you are referencing?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JwrBbUQze2k

I haven’t had a chance to check the entire extractor overall measurements. The rear pin was around 0.12 on the new one. The extractor in my P380 is also 0.12.

boscobarbell
08-21-2018, 10:23 AM
Thank you!!

Tilos
08-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Yes, the radius'ing of the extractor hook is the current mod that has proven to be the most reliable, more so than the narrowing of the trunion that is in the stickied thread.
The trunion mod has caused some extractor breakage, possibly because of bad execution...

I mentioned the hook mod early/often in the stickied thread but was poopoo'ed by the OP, but it now seems to be the "factory fix"

Confirmation of factory fix in post #6:
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?31820-Cw380-going-back-to-kahr&p=400866#post400866

Vid of radius mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwrBbUQze2k&app=desktop

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?26232-Found-solution-to-FTF-and-failure-to-return-to-battery-on-CW-380&p=362032#post362032

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?26232-Found-solution-to-FTF-and-failure-to-return-to-battery-on-CW-380&p=362058#post362058

:biggrin1:

;)

markman
08-21-2018, 11:46 AM
While I do believe the radiusing of the extractor hook to be excellent modification and a must, I also believe the excessive tension of the extractor to be the biggest problem. I also believe that messing with the "trunion" is not a good idea, for the reasons you mentioned. It's also possible to have too much rim clearance if you have a cartridge at the other end of the spectrum with a very narrow rim. The easiest and best way to reduce the extractor tension is to shorten the rear pin. And if you mess it up and shorten it too much, a new pin is about $2.00.

Yes, the radius'ing of the extractor hook is the current mod that has proven to be the most reliable, more so than the narrowing of the trunion that is in the stickied thread.
The trunion mod has caused some extractor breakage, possibly because of bad execution...

I mentioned the hook mod early/often in the stickied thread but was poopoo'ed by the OP, but now seems to be the "factory fix"
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?26232-Found-solution-to-FTF-and-failure-to-return-to-battery-on-CW-380&p=362032#post362032

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?26232-Found-solution-to-FTF-and-failure-to-return-to-battery-on-CW-380&p=362058#post362058

:biggrin1:

vinnier6
08-21-2018, 12:35 PM
I will stay optimistic and can’t wait to get it back...it’s such a great size, I just need it to work

boscobarbell
08-21-2018, 02:02 PM
The easiest and best way to reduce the extractor tension is to shorten the rear pin. And if you mess it up and shorten it too much, a new pin is about $2.00.

Is there a video for this?

Lineman101
08-21-2018, 02:24 PM
I did file just a smidge to the extractor. Not as much shown in the video. I also took off .015 as communicated in the other thread. I’m happy to report that Fiocchi will now load. My P380 is also the California model with the indicator. It seems that the indicator is ridding high and seems to be a little more noticeable...? Anyway, I’m feeling good about CCWing this weapon.
My p380 will now chamber:
PPU
HPR
Fiocchi
WWB
PMC Bronze
these seemed to be problematic.

markman
08-21-2018, 02:31 PM
Not that I'm aware of. There are however, video's on how to dissemble the Kahr slide. The back extractor pin is right underneath the slide back. It is actually the pin you depress to get the back off. But before I would take it apart, I would certainly measure the tension to verify if it is too much.

Is there a video for this?

boscobarbell
08-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Not that I'm aware of. There are however, video's on how to dissemble the Kahr slide. The back extractor pin is right underneath the slide back. It is actually the pin you depress to get the back off. But before I would take it apart, I would certainly measure the tension to verify if it is too much.

Okay...that makes perfect sense. (I've disassembled a couple of Kahrs in the past.). Should one file the front or rear part of that pin?

markman
08-21-2018, 04:13 PM
I don't suppose it would make that much difference, as I've never seen that much difference in the ones I've done. In all the ones I've done, you'd be surprised on how little you have to remove. I always knock the edges off the end I shorten and I will put that end against the cover when I assemble it. That also probably wouldn't make that much difference, but I do it anyway. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but I've found that if I use a small set of locking needle nose pliers to hold the pin it makes it much easier to work with.

Should one file the front or rear part of that pin?

boscobarbell
08-21-2018, 05:25 PM
I don't suppose it would make that much difference, as I've never seen that much difference in the ones I've done. In all the ones I've done, you'd be surprised on how little you have to remove. I always knock the edges off the end I shorten and I will put that end against the cover when I assemble it. That also probably wouldn't make that much difference, but I do it anyway. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but I've found that if I use a small set of locking needle nose pliers to hold the pin it makes it much easier to work with.

Good tips. Fingers crossed, I won't have to actually do any of this if my P380 functions after a typical break-in, but it's good to know there are options should I be unlucky with the new one.

Thanks!

boscobarbell
08-22-2018, 07:19 PM
Another question: what is the overall recommended length of the extractor pin on a P380?

When I break mine down for cleaning, I intend to measure it to see how close I am to the "sweet spot" length that sets the extractor to the correct tension.

Thanks....

markman
08-22-2018, 08:31 PM
Their is no " recommended length". That's why you measure the tension and if needed shorten the pin until you achieve the proper tension. What ever that ends up being is the proper length. I posted this in another thread:

"Tolerance stacking, you have at least 5 components in the extractor chain. The slide, rear cover, rear pin, spring and extractor. All of them are manufactured/machined with in a certain tolerance. It is physically impossible to have all the parts the exact same size every time, even today. If many are at the small or large end of the tolerances that where the stacking becomes involved. Just look how people are getting results by just removing small amounts of metal! I would have to believe that's what causes most FTF/ FTX problems . That's why most people don't have problems but some do"

"That's also the reason I won't just measure the whole assembly and compare it to others. Like I explained earlier with the tolerance stacking. Your not taking into account the spring rates, pocket depth in the rear slide cover, the location of the pocket machined in the slide where the extractor pivots, etc etc etc. It's too dam easy just to measure the tension. On the tension, I try to get it as close as possible without getting anal."

Another question: what is the overall recommended length of the extractor pin on a P380?

When I break mine down for cleaning, I intend to measure it to see how close I am to the "sweet spot" length that sets the extractor to the correct tension.

Thanks....

boscobarbell
08-22-2018, 09:05 PM
Okay...I do recall reading that before,

Unfortunately, I know my limitations as a gunsmith/handyman, and that tension check is well beyond my comfort zone.

Thanks....

mpgo4th
08-27-2018, 04:29 PM
Okay...I do recall reading that before,

Unfortunately, I know my limitations as a gunsmith/handyman, and that tension check is well beyond my comfort zone.

Thanks....

Please let everyone know w what service was performed when you get it back. Thanks

vinnier6
09-09-2018, 08:18 AM
Still waiting

linksrds
09-09-2018, 02:56 PM
As you said, i would let Kahr take care of the problem. Don't do anything to void a warranty

vinnier6
09-20-2018, 08:54 AM
Just an update....still waiting

vinnier6
09-25-2018, 06:29 AM
No email from kahr, but I got a FedEx email that said I have a package on the way!

vinnier6
09-26-2018, 09:14 PM
Ok, it’s back in my hands...work order states it was inspected, extractor was polished and test fired ok

we shall see on Sunday

DavidR
09-27-2018, 05:04 AM
Fingers crossed 🤞 keep us posted.

PS I’m a bit skeptical that polishing the extractor would fix those problems but I’m not an expert.

vinnier6
09-30-2018, 04:31 PM
Well got it out to the range today, almost 100%...

i shoot 50 rounds of American Eagle and the 8 rounds of critical defense I had loaded in it...it shoot all 8 of the hornady cd and the next few mags went well...I then had on failure to lock back on the last round, and one failure to feed or it could have been described as a slide lock back with rounds still in the mag. The failure to feed was in my kids hands but still it didn’t go 100%, so not quite confident with it but it’s definitely better than it was...

i still I’ll plan to carry it as a pocket gun when I can’t carry my Glock 26...I just would have liked to get through 58 rounds without having any malfunctions