PDA

View Full Version : Kahr PM9....the most underated 9mm??

border bandit32
10-03-2009, 11:57 AM
hey dudes, what do ya think?? seems to me the kahr PM9 is one of the Most UNDERATED 9mm's out there!

or si it the Ruger P-95??

wagon
10-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Bersa guns!

sharpetop
10-03-2009, 12:30 PM
I think the PM9 is one of the best selling guns on the market right now. How is that underrated?

Dietrich
10-03-2009, 03:45 PM
I think you might have a point in a way. It has been my experience that most folks that I have shown my PM9 to had never heard of Kahr.Some were familiar with the picture of the beautiful young woman in the Kahr ads but not the firearms themselves.Once they took a look at the PM9 practically all were impressed with the workmanship and style,not to mention the pure fun of shooting it. I don`t think that it`s as much a matter of underrating as of lack of name recognition. With more and more people like us buying Kahrs and extolling their virtues,more and more people will start to take notice. But just for the record,I`ll stack a PM9 up against any other pocket 9 made.There just aren`t any better.The woman in their ads don`t hurt either.

Dietrich
10-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Bersa guns!

I have a Bersa that I dearly love to shoot.When I can find .380 ammo that is. And you`re right. Bersa handguns are the Rodney Dangerfield of firearms.

zena
10-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Here in MA(behind enemy lines) the only way to get one is if an LEO is selling one. We regular folk can't buy them new because they are not on the "approved" list of the AG. Most people who have seen mine think it's too small for their hands. And it barks and pinches their hands. I love it and shoot it very well. I get it that the Kahr model is thin to make a point about the gun, but she's too thin.

wagon
10-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Same here, Dietrich, 380 ammo just out of scale (performance vs price) nowadays. I have a Bersa Thunder 380cc which I enjoy shooting, I recently joined the "Kahr club" partly is a need for a higher caliber of which ammo is easy to find.

Has had a SP101 and then a HK USPc40 for the past 20 years but never enjoyed carrying them.... until I discovered the 380cc ... now the PM9 :D My "CC" ride is just getting better at every turn. But my BT380cc remains a keeper and will be in the rotation.

I have a Bersa that I dearly love to shoot.When I can find .380 ammo that is. And you`re right. Bersa handguns are the Rodney Dangerfield of firearms.

Dietrich
10-04-2009, 05:32 AM
Here in MA(behind enemy lines) the only way to get one is if an LEO is selling one. We regular folk can't buy them new because they are not on the "approved" list of the AG. Most people who have seen mine think it's too small for their hands. And it barks and pinches their hands. I love it and shoot it very well. I get it that the Kahr model is thin to make a point about the gun, but she's too thin.

Too thin? Rubbish!! That woman would look good even if she had snuff running out the side of her mouth.

Cappy
10-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Too thin? Rubbish!! That woman would look good even if she had snuff running out the side of her mouth.

That is funny, but true! Kahr took the stance that sex sells with that ad! :cool:

border bandit32
10-06-2009, 07:25 PM
I think you might have a point in a way. It has been my experience that most folks that I have shown my PM9 to had never heard of Kahr.Some were familiar with the picture of the beautiful young woman in the Kahr ads but not the firearms themselves.Once they took a look at the PM9 practically all were impressed with the workmanship and style,not to mention the pure fun of shooting it. I don`t think that it`s as much a matter of underrating as of lack of name recognition. With more and more people like us buying Kahrs and extolling their virtues,more and more people will start to take notice. But just for the record,I`ll stack a PM9 up against any other pocket 9 made.There just aren`t any better.The woman in their ads don`t hurt either.

Yes sir, that was more of what I meant to say... you just said it alot better....I guess I should have said unknown or unpopular instead...thanks Dietrich:33:

kpm9
10-06-2009, 07:41 PM
I firmly believe it is the most under-rated pocket 9mm and the most under-rated concealed carry pistol.

When you start to compare it to the kel-tec and even the Walther it is head and shoulders better IMO. The Walther is larger and the samples I've seen need a better trigger.

When you compare it to a SW J-frame, it's more powerful than a .38 and conceals way better and is easier to reload. Sure .357s are have more bang, but a few rounds of those at the range and soreness/recoil causes ineffectiveness and thus inhibits practice.

What else is there? The G26 or P2000sk. That's hell-of-a-company to be compared to for being a concealed 9. And the Kahr is thinner than both, which means it more likely to be carried.

Am I missing something/someone?

TonyDe
10-06-2009, 08:25 PM
+1

You could not have said it better. I have owned or fired a number of Pocket Pistols and I have to say that the quality of workmanship, design and shootability of the PM9 make for an outstanding firearm. A gun that you like and bond with is the gun you will more than likely always carry. After all that what it's inception was all about.

Cappy
10-06-2009, 09:46 PM
hey dudes, what do ya think?? seems to me the kahr PM9 is one of the Most UNDERATED 9mm's out there!

or si it the Ruger P-95??

I agree the Kahr PM9 is very much under rates as both a 9mm and as a cc gun. Shoot if you visit Gundirectory.com you will see just how under rated it is. :target:

jocko
10-11-2009, 02:56 AM
we need to keep this kahr thing a secret between just us kahr owners. Will give us kahr owners a better chance of finding more kahrs around to.

Not just a good gun, but IMO a great gun..

packinaglock
10-11-2009, 07:03 AM
we need to keep this kahr thing a secret between just us kahr owners. Will give us kahr owners a better chance of finding more kahrs around to.

Agree, great gun

Kahrdog
10-11-2009, 09:25 AM

I agree, keep it a secret. There's a couple more Kahr's I'd like to buy:)

Cappy
10-12-2009, 07:28 PM

I am with you on this one too (LMAO):behindsofa:

kahrs&cars
01-17-2010, 04:08 AM
Kahr's?...ummm, what Kahr's...there's no such thing:rolleyes:

KahrKRL
01-17-2010, 01:55 PM
I have PM9 and love it. Happened to walk into a local store looking for the P380. They had both guns. After holding both I went with the PM9. Felt better in my hand and amo is SO much easier to find. I like to go to the range about once a month and probably wouldn't with the .380. Also had the black slide & night sites! Super sweet!!

Vinikahr
01-17-2010, 02:29 PM
If the Kahr pistol were underrated, they will been cheaper than they are right now. As more options or competition becomes available the price of the product will go down. I have seen this with the Glocks where at minimum a Glock would have cost $500 plus always ( I bought one brand new for $379, and this one was without the law enforcement discount). I am anticipating more great deals as sales of guns comes down due to the hype of rumors of gun legislation disperses. Any how, an underrate weapon that I own is the Sig Pro only cost me $439.00.:4:

Price
01-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Kahr? Isnt that the gun that shot that toilet all by its self?, but seriously, I have noticed that Kahr in general is not very well known or doenst seem to have the great reputation that it deserves. Seems alot of guys and girls havent heard much about them but seems like almost every serious gun guy has one or more. I kinda like it this way makes me feel a little more wise to things than I probably am.

swampman
01-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Kahr? Isnt that the gun that shot that toilet all by its self?, but seriously, I have noticed that Kahr in general is not very well known or doenst seem to have the great reputation that it deserves. Seems alot of guys and girls havent heard much about them but seems like almost every serious gun guy has one or more. I kinda like it this way makes me feel a little more wise to things than I probably am.
true,and have you ever noticed you dont see used kahrs very much in your local gun stores:D

jfrey
01-17-2010, 05:29 PM
I found out quickly that my CW9 fits in nicely with my high priced 1911's. Kahr makes a great pistol and as long as they keep it that way and service their products they will be able to keep a descent market share with all the other big name plastic pistols.

BTW, if the girl in the ads did have snuff juice running down her chin it wouldn't bother me either. I've seen worse.

unclenunzie
01-17-2010, 06:00 PM
I did a great deal of Internet research for a reliable, single-stack 9mm carry gun. The reliability factor can be met with Glock, but I never warmed up to the grip angle, and they don't make a single stack 9mm. So Glock was out of the running for these and other reasons.

The Kahr PM9 came recommended by some reputable reviewers, and I really liked the fact that the design in the K9 model was approved by NYPD at one point. This speaks to quality recognition by a very large and prestiguous American police force.

I know for certain that all precision manufactured products will have a failure once in a while, and it does seem the small gun industry has it's share. But I do feel, without any objective data, that some reported problems must be operator induced. As a case in point, I recently rented a Glock 36 just to get a feel for it. My brother-in-law was with me, and the range/store guy warned me specifically that the G36 is susceptible to limp-wristing, etc. I ran that Austrian mini-beast mag after mag with no problems at all. My BIL however, a man of 6' 5", could not get through a mag without one stovepipe after another. His hands are no bigger than mine, yet he could not get the 36 to work for him. Can't blame the 36.

Ultimately, the Kahr has excellent design and smooth DAO trigger, stainless/polymer construction, light weight, small size but ergonomic handling, and just plain hot looks. The Kahr PM9 rocks, and as of today has mine has 895 flawless rounds through it. This is my PM9. There are many like it but this one is mine. No, you can't have it ;)

unclenunzie

wyntrout
01-17-2010, 06:48 PM
I ordered a P380 with night sights almost 10 months ago and I don't pine for it anymore. Hearing about it and getting involved in researching it, I came upon this forum. After lurking a bit, I joined and began to share in the wealth of experience, knowledge, opinions, and PICTURES! I lamented my missing and late P380, but I found out what a great gun the PM9 is. I've had a K9 for almost 12 years, the night sights are weak and I've carried it a few times, but it's too heavy for my casual wear down here in Florida -- shorts, tees, or polos (for dressing up). I've been feeling very under-armed carrying a .22 Stinger-loaded TPH. I went to a gun show here a few weeks ago. looking for a PM45, the DLC Model with night sights. I wasn't sure that I would buy it, 'cause they are scarce and not cheap. I didn't see one of those... but I DID see a used, but new-looking PM9 DLC with night sights, complete as originally sold. It was marked $600 and I was able to get it for $550 or $588 out the door with tax and the $5 quick-check call. I was worried another guy would pay full price while I was negotiating, but I prevailed and walked away with this wonderful pistol. I got to shoot it a few days later, along with most of my other pistols, including the K9. I love the K series, but I really love this PM9 and it's now my primary carry weapon. Whenever I finally get my P380, I'll probably carry that when it's warmer, but only because it's a bit lighter ~ 6 ounces less loaded and smaller in size. I feel so much better that I now have a powerful, versatile, and compact little beauty of my own, so I don't envy yours!:D
Wynn

alnitak
01-20-2010, 09:23 AM
I don't know if Kahr is the most underrated, but I do believe it is the most bashed CC pistol out there -- not counting the junk pistols like Jimenez(sp?). For some reason, all the Glock guys love to gang up on the Kahr. Methinks it's because they recognize that the PM9 is the best small 9mm out there and the G26 guys can't stand it!

TxKahr
01-20-2010, 07:31 PM
I first read about the Kahr on glocktalk after buying my G26, so there are several others who own them. There is even a Kahr sub-forum, which has a few people who post on a somewhat regular basis. I liked what I read enough to make the PM9 my second 9mm carry gun. :-)

http://kahrtalk.com/members/txkahr-albums-pm9-picture141-glock-pm9.jpg

TxKahr

jwr
01-23-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't know if Kahr is the most underrated, but I do believe it is the most bashed CC pistol out there.
I think the Sig P238 would have to rate as the most bashed CC pocket pistol out there, or maybe I'm just sensitive because I own one. :-)

I've heard excellent reports from the shops around here regarding all the Kahr offerings.