PDA

View Full Version : mag carriers

zena
10-03-2009, 06:08 PM
What does anyone use to carry extra mags for the PM9? It is my only carry gun and I'd like to have a few extra rounds with me if I ever needed them. Every other gun I shoot is high-cap so this leaves me wanting.:33:

ltxi
10-03-2009, 07:55 PM
if any....off side front pocket or off side, side pocket in Duluth casual/work pants

border bandit32
10-03-2009, 10:07 PM
I use this Don Hume with a spare 6 rd PM9 mag works great.... 13 rds of 124 Gold Dot+p ready to roll!!!

D417 [D417] - $28.20 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods. (http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=122)

wagon
10-03-2009, 11:50 PM
I use a Buck's leather knife holster #112. VERY sturdy and it sits close to the hip with the 1 1/2 belt. It fits my PM9's 7 rounder like a glove.

I've been using it for the Bersa 8 rounder, so all I need is just to swap out the mag when I rotate between the 2 guns. For ~$10 it is a very good buy.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3046

Ol'coot
10-04-2009, 05:54 AM
I also use a knife case that I picked up at gun and knife show for $3.00, This one is constructed from codura and It fits either 6 shot Kahr M620 with a Pearce mag extension or the 7 round M720 magazine very well. It is very sturdy and tucks in nice and close to the body, Mine has no markings on the case and I wear it next to my cell phone case where both are very easy to access with my weak hand. I have found this works as well for me as any of the other magazine carriers that I have ever used and was a real bargain to boot

8th SPS USAF
10-04-2009, 08:25 AM
I just had Tactical Kydex make me some for PM9/PM45
2 @ $16 shipped very nice. Good luck
8th

wagon
10-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Wow, just $3 bucks and good for other mags too! Very good deal indeed. Wish I came across one like that before I bought the Buck sheath.

I also use a knife case that I picked up at gun and knife show for $3.00, This one is constructed from codura and It fits either 6 shot Kahr M620 with a Pearce mag extension or the 7 round M720 magazine very well. It is very sturdy and tucks in nice and close to the body, Mine has no markings on the case and I wear it next to my cell phone case where both are very easy to access with my weak hand. I have found this works as well for me as any of the other magazine carriers that I have ever used and was a real bargain to boot

newpm9er
10-04-2009, 03:38 PM
I just had Tactical Kydex make me some for PM9/PM45
2 @ $16 shipped very nice. Good luck
8th

Would you by chance have pix and contact information for them please? I would want to ask and make a horizontal one if at all possible.

zena
10-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Would you by chance have pix and contact information for them please? I would want to ask and make a horizontal one if at all possible.

Let me know about their ability to make a horizontal one.

And I appreciate everyone's responses. I'll check all suggestions and see what I think may work for me. Or which 2 or 3 things may work.....

8th SPS USAF
10-05-2009, 08:02 AM
E--- tacticalkydex@bellsouth.net

Good luck

8th

Cappy
10-06-2009, 09:39 PM
What does anyone use to carry extra mags for the PM9? It is my only carry gun and I'd like to have a few extra rounds with me if I ever needed them. Every other gun I shoot is high-cap so this leaves me wanting.:33:

I picked up a nice Bianchi mag/knife pouch from MidwayUSA.com. It is perfect for the Kahr.

steve666
10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
I have a Don Hume double pouch.

Chief Joseph
10-08-2009, 11:22 PM
I use a Buck's leather knife holster #112. VERY sturdy and it sits close to the hip with the 1 1/2 belt. It fits my PM9's 7 rounder like a glove.

I've been using it for the Bersa 8 rounder, so all I need is just to swap out the mag when I rotate between the 2 guns. For ~$10 it is a very good buy.

BUCK (http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3046)

After reading this thread and seeing your post, I did a little look online for this sheath. Found one for 7.95 with 6.95 shipping, at the last second I remembered my late step father had given me a nice buck knife about 15 years ago and decided to take a look at what it was. Finally found it in my drawer and inside was a still new Buck FLD Hunter 110 with the carry pouch. Pulled out the pouch, grabbed my 7 rd magazine from the safe and bingo, fits like a glove. the 110 is a little bigger than the 112 but it still fits pretty snug and has the snap overlap. Cool, have a mag carrier and didn't cost me a dime. It's unfortunate I never found a use the nice knife he gave me so many years ago.

the perfesser
10-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Chief Joseph,

Put the nice knife in your shooting range bag. Or in the console/glove compartment of your motor vehicle. You will find it useful and think kindly of your stepfather whenever you see or use it. I do so with my barber grandfather's cutting scissors and my fallen-in-war uncle's letter-opener. I find such "connections" comforting.

pokey074
10-11-2009, 11:36 PM
I love Comp-Tac mag carriers.

Bigcube
10-12-2009, 04:37 AM
I just picked up an Outdoor Edge knife/mag pouch at Gander Mountain for 9.99. It fits the 7 shot mags and the 6 shot with pearce grip extensions. It will work in both vertical and horizontal mode on a belt.

arizona98tj
10-14-2009, 10:56 PM
I picked up a mag carrier from High Noon Holsters.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/highnoonpm9/highnoon-2.jpg

More details..... (http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/highnoonpm9/highnoonpm9-1.htm)

WWhunter
10-16-2009, 06:57 AM
For more years then I care to tell I have always used a Leatherman/Gerber multitool carrier for my spare mag pouch. Call me cheap (I am) but my idea of conceal carry is total concealment.....not having an obvious looking spare mag on my belt. No one notices a mutlitool or knife pouch on a belt like they do a typical spare mag carrier. If you are Hi-Cap concious...get a carrier a little big and it'll enable you to carry a mag and a few loose rounds at the same time. It doesn't impede the ability to withdrawl the mag quickly.

I know this is all a fall back from OPSEC when I was in the military but it has stuck with me all these years. Covert is COVERT!
WW

wagon
10-16-2009, 11:42 AM
+1 with WW :)

Bigcube: Before I settled on the Buck sheath, I picked up the Outdoor Edge sheath like you described, but I returned it coz it was too big for the Bersa mag, but it REALLY appears to be rugged and durable. Also when I tried it on, I couldn't pull it close to my body even with my 1 1/2" gun belt, do you have the same issue? I decided on the Buck sheath due to a better fit for the Bersa mag and it doesn't move at all when I carry it. Glad that it works well for you

For more years then I care to tell I have always used a Leatherman/Gerber multitool carrier for my spare mag pouch. Call me cheap (I am) but my idea of conceal carry is total concealment.....not having an obvious looking spare mag on my belt. No one notices a mutlitool or knife pouch on a belt like they do a typical spare mag carrier. If you are Hi-Cap concious...get a carrier a little big and it'll enable you to carry a mag and a few loose rounds at the same time. It doesn't impede the ability to withdrawl the mag quickly.

I know this is all a fall back from OPSEC when I was in the military but it has stuck with me all these years. Covert is COVERT!
WW

zena
10-16-2009, 06:45 PM

WW

I'm sold! No mag carrier for me that isn't in stealth mode. I love stealth and I love cheap.

Ol'coot
10-31-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm sold! No mag carrier for me that isn't in stealth mode. I love stealth and I love cheap.

I agree with staying in stealth mode as I want to be able to carry a second magazine but not draw any unneeded attention to myself or to the fact that I am carrying at all. I just returned form the local Bass Pro Shop where I stumbled upon a perfect case for that second magazine and at only $5.00 each I purchased 2 of them. I did check and they also offer these online for anyone else interested. Here is a link Knife Sheath
(http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_104622____SearchResults). I have also attached a copy of photo's of this with a spare Mag for my PM9. It just looks any other knife case when on my belt next to my cell phone.

http://www.photographicendeavors.com/img/v4/p1044941429-3.jpg

http://www.photographicendeavors.com/img/v6/p586431795-3.jpg

luka
10-31-2009, 03:45 PM
What size did you get S M L on the Case?

wagon
10-31-2009, 04:01 PM
Ol'Coot, does it pull close to the belt? Can you snap a pic on the back side fo the sheath? I have trid one from OutdoorEdge, but their plastic belt clip is large and loose, it did not stay in place like my Buck letaher sheath can.

Yours looks very nice, I like to give it a try, but I hope to have some idea how their clip/loop looks like. Thanks in advance.

Ol'coot
10-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Ol'Coot, does it pull close to the belt? Can you snap a pic on the back side fo the sheath? I have trid one from OutdoorEdge, but their plastic belt clip is large and loose, it did not stay in place like my Buck letaher sheath can.

Yours looks very nice, I like to give it a try, but I hope to have some idea how their clip/loop looks like. Thanks in advance.

Here is a couple of shots for you. The first on is the back of the Sheath and the second on it one of them on my belt. I hope these photos give you the information you wanted. The ones that I purchased are the (M) Medium. 4" deep x 1.2" wide inside pocket. It fits the 6 shot flush magazine with a Pearce grip extension perfectly.

http://www.photographicendeavors.com/img/v6/p190122998-3.jpg

http://www.photographicendeavors.com/img/v6/p6277523-3.jpg

zena
10-31-2009, 05:44 PM
ol coot

Thanks for the info. I'll check that out. And great pix! Love the Heron shots. Zena

Bigcube
10-31-2009, 08:12 PM
One thing I learned in a class a few weeks ago was you should always have the bullet facing forward in the mag case. It's more natural to feed into the firearm and you can use the tip of your finger as a guide to line it up with the gun.

wagon
10-31-2009, 09:11 PM
Interesting, but I just found the opposite. With the front of the mag facing rear (i.e. bullet facing rear), when my weak hand remove the mag from the sheath and bring it up and to the front, the front side of the mag is now aligned toward the muzzle and it is very natural to insert the mag that way.

But each of his own, whatever more natural to the individual works best.

One thing I learned in a class a few weeks ago was you should always have the bullet facing forward in the mag case. It's more natural to feed into the firearm and you can use the tip of your finger as a guide to line it up with the gun.

texsky
10-31-2009, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=Ol'coot;3663]I agree with staying in stealth mode as I want to be able to carry a second magazine but not draw any unneeded attention to myself or to the fact that I am carrying at all. I just returned form the local Bass Pro Shop where I stumbled upon a perfect case for that second magazine and at only $5.00 each I purchased 2 of them. I did check and they also offer these online for anyone else interested. Here is a link Knife Sheath
(http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_104622____SearchResults). I have also attached a copy of photo's of this with a spare Mag for my PM9. It just looks any other knife case when on my belt next to my cell phone.

Thanks for the GREAT tip! It's the one piece of additional equipment that I've been looking for. Very stealthy! :D