PDA

View Full Version : e9 problem

buck1978
09-21-2010, 04:39 PM
I just bought a used e9 today. It was test fired in June of 2002. I shot it 3 rounds through it and the slide stop broke in 3 pieces. As anyone else had problems like this? If so is it a on going problem?

jocko
09-21-2010, 04:50 PM
very very very uncommon. Just buy a new one and you will be OK. I would call kahr and talk to someone in house and state to them that you have an E9 which is 8 years old, so that if by any chance there is any slide stops that won't work in your E9, they won't screw up and send it to you. I think they are all the same.

That stop was broken before your ever shot it, you just finished it off. Nice gun by the way..

buck1978
09-21-2010, 05:02 PM
I hope it turns out to be a nice gun. I have owned 2 other kahrs(a cw9 and a cw45) niether had problems just did not like them. So we will see, I am going to order a new stop tomorrow. I will update when I get it.

buck1978
09-22-2010, 07:20 PM
I talked to Kahr customer service, they where very helpful. I told them that I had a e9 and the slide stop broke. The only thing they ask was my name and my address and said they would send it out asap. Kahr has gained much respect from me with the way they handled this.

buck1978
09-27-2010, 07:13 PM
I am losing a little faith in Kahr, I recieved a new slide lock today that binds the slide so bad that it stays open with no mag in it. I have a gun smith working on it. I told him if he messed up the slide lock no big deal as a new one is just 24 dollars. I do you have a question, are all kahr slide locks the same? The one I got says K9 on the bottom.

buck1978
09-28-2010, 05:58 PM
ok so here is what was figured out, this gun probably has been shot alot. The lock up on the barrel shroud was peened up to the point that when the slide went back that it bound the gun up. We belive this is what caused the slide stop to break in the first place.

OldLincoln
09-29-2010, 01:09 AM
Wow, maybe they can jack the sights up and slide a new gun underneath. It sounds pretty bad compared to Jocko's 30K rounds through his PM9. Wonder if there's something to prevent that.

buck1978
09-29-2010, 06:17 AM
I dont know what caused it, we are just assuming that it was alot of rounds down the pipe. It had raised up a bur where the slide locks to the barrel that was between a 1/16th to a 1/8th of a inch. When he removed this the gun functions perfectly. I just thought I would put this out there in case some one else ran in to this, it might save them sometime running it down. I have messed with guns my whole life and would have never thought of this.

jlottmc
09-29-2010, 07:13 AM
Wow, I'm the same been working on guns most of my life, this is the first time I've heard of something like that. The only other thing I could think of to cause that would be an improper re-assemble and then the gun was fired like that, with a bunch of way too hot rounds. That's about the only thing I could see that would cause something like that. Glad you were able to get it fixed, and hope it gives many more years of faithful service.

ripley16
09-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Pictures? I'd be interested in seeing this.

wyntrout
09-29-2010, 08:13 AM
If you clean your guns while you're awake, you should notice buildups or notice the change in functioning. Damage like that should be noticeable and fixed before it locks the gun up. A little honing, sanding, or DLT-work can keep things like that from becoming big problems.... Jus' sayin'....
We know there can sometimes be slides and barrels that don't play well together... says the guy with keen 2020 hindsight.
Wynn :D

Bawanna
09-29-2010, 09:40 AM
It may also not be very noticeable. My K40 did the same thing when it was brand new. Less than a 100 rounds thru it and it refused to go completely into battery every shot. I'd smack the back of the slide and force it. It got to where that didnt work anymore either.
I sent it back to kahr and I believe it was a Dorothy (very nice lady) said that it was peening. Said they very rarely see that anymore. They replaced the whole top end, slide, barrel etc. Never a problem since.
I looked it over very closely and didn't see anything at all out of whack on the barrel myself. Apparently can get away unnoticed. I think I even had my glasses on. Actually I usually wear my optivisor when looking at guns, even guys with good eyes miss little things we see under magnification.

wyntrout
09-29-2010, 09:44 AM
I feel for anything out of the ordinary on the barrel... I also apply a light coat of oil that way, feeling for any nicks, dings, or protrusions.
Wynn

buck1978
09-29-2010, 12:38 PM
I would have found this to be odd, however I bought the gun used and made sure it was clean and oiled then took it and shot it. The slide stop broke on the 3rd round through the gun(This was all explained in the orginal post). So yes if I had taken it down and cleaned it I might have questioned it. However as I saw that it was clean and well lubed I decided to shot it first then clean it. It may have had alot of +p shot through it, I dont know. But I thought +p was fine in these guns. Anyway the point is sometimes things slip by, and hopfully this will help some one down the road.

wyntrout
09-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Sorry... I guess that did sound a little caustic... didn't mean to... just trying to say something besides paying attention to what you're doing, watching for burrs or evidence of "pinging". Sometimes the barrel and slide need a little help and sometimes Kahr changes one or the other or both to make them work together.
For some reason barrels are supposed to be drop-in, but slides are swapped and require fitting. Maybe it's to salvage the slide parts and transfer them to the new slide...??
+P is fine, but +P+ isn't... since there's no "SAAMI-approved" standard for +P+.
Wynn:blushing:

jlottmc
09-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Gents, I was thinking even hotter than that. More like it might blow some other guns up.

Bawanna
09-29-2010, 01:35 PM
It doesn't take a hot load to bind things up or peen a barrel. If it leave improperly fitted it just gets worse and worse. My K40 never saw anything remotely hot and it got bound up.

OldLincoln
09-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Here is the positive side of this incident. I hadn't known or would have thought to check out the barrel lugs when cleaning. A small burr might have gone right by. But no more, now I have added 1 more thing to my already extensive check list for the cleaning routine. So thanks Buck.

buck1978
09-29-2010, 01:54 PM
I dont think there is anything to worry about, just something to watch for. If it happens again the gunsmith that worked on it lives next to me. He has been like a second Father to me, so I have help. And the bonus is that when something goes wrong he teaches me something else.

jlottmc
09-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Now that is good stuff. That's what these lib-tards don't get, our gun culture is a wholly different world than anything they know. Buck, keep up the good work.