PDA

View Full Version : More gun wear: Leather or Kydex?

RagnarD
10-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Aloha gents, new to the forum, new to CCW. I have a PM9 with the black finish and night sights on its way this week, and a CCW permit on its way in the next month or two.

Looking at IWB Holsters, I'm starting to narrow down my options, but I have seen conflicting opinions on this one: which wears more on the finish, leather or kydex?

I would have assumed hard kydex would easily put more scratches and wear marks with use, but I've seen multiple threads where folks claim that leather is worse, more friction, contact area, stuff like that.

I know someone out there is going to say it doesn't matter, a well worn gun is a well used gun. I agree, I'm not going to have a heart attack at the first scratch, but I'm also not looking to accelerate the process if I can avoid it. I think it's a great looking little gun (esp w/ the Pearce grip extensions, also on their way).

Thanks in advance, looking forward to learning more from this board re my new toy! :yo:

Bawanna
10-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Welcome and aloha right back at ya. Glad ya found us and you got a really nice gun headed your way.
On the holster question I think it depends on the holster. Some kydex setups grab the trigger guard to retain the gun so you get advanced wear on the trigger guard. Leather pretty much has alot more contact but to me anyway it doesn't seem as harsh on a finish as Kydex. The Serpa made by Blackhawk I'm pretty familiar with as we have several officers carrying their Glock 21's in them and they don't seem to accelerate wear at all. I note no wear spots.
Personally I prefer leather. I had one of the kydex grab the trigger guard models and have noticeable wear that didn't make me happy but as you say its gonna happen so no use sweatin spilled bourbon or is it milk.
Anyhow I don't think theres a real solid black and white answer for ya but I'm sure the rest of the fellas will jump in and share their opinions too.
Again welcome.

Mudinyeri
10-04-2010, 11:51 AM
I have a CrossBreed SuperTuck for one of my guns that I regularly use in various courses. I've drawn the gun in excess of 1000 times from that holster. I don't see a noticeable difference on either side of the weapon.

One thing I have noticed is that re-holstering with a hot barrel can soften the Kydex to the point where it leaves a little residue on the slide when the gun is re-drawn shortly thereafter. This usually comes off pretty easily.

deadhead1971
10-04-2010, 12:39 PM
fobus paddle holster OWB = scratches

I am experimenting with a shirt tuckable $10 Ace holster IWB. I just got it. I have worn it some. The outside is leather and the inside is nylon fabric I think.

Mudinyeri
10-04-2010, 02:08 PM
fobus paddle holster OWB = scratches

Pretty sure Fobus holsters aren't Kydex.

Bawanna
10-04-2010, 05:20 PM
So if I give my wife a DLC Kahr it could be considered jewelry and since diamonds are a girls best friend she'd like me for awhile and ease up on the constant 26 hour a day nagging in between when I'm telling her how good looking she is?

RagnarD
10-04-2010, 05:38 PM
So if I give my wife a DLC Kahr it could be considered jewelry and since diamonds are a girls best friend she'd like me for awhile and ease up on the constant 26 hour a day nagging in between when I'm telling her how good looking she is?

I'm certain that's exactly what would happen. Go ahead and order it, I'll back you up... :behindsofa:

Here's another new-to-CCW question: when tucking your shirt in with a tuckable style IWB holster, don't folks eventually ask what the random clip on your belt is? Some are more obvious than others... full clips vs j-clips, etc, but they all seen to leave an odd little piece showing. I feel like at a friends dinner party or something, standing around for a while with friends and associates, someone would say "what is that random clip with nothing attached on your belt?"

Do you just make something up? The only holster I've seen address this is the ShirtTailSpecial (http://www.leatherarsenal.com/ShirtTailSpecial.htm)
from The Leather Arsenal with the little accessories disguising the clip... actually looks well done in my totally inexperienced opinion.

Bawanna
10-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Thats a good idea they got there except it would be nice to have something dressier for people that dress up in nice clothes and stuff. I keep my horizontal cell phone case right in front of the clip or even my prefered OWB holsters and it seems to break up the look a bit.

Just tell them if you told them you'd have to kill them and let it go at that.

Put one on the other side and tell them they are sock suspenders.

Colostomy bag?

Hip replacement grease fitting housing.

Recharge recepticle for your bionic _______________fill in the blank.
I should be in research and development, ya think?

dusty10
10-04-2010, 06:33 PM

Yep, that sounds about right. You got this marriage thing down pat. :D

kramm
10-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Welcome to the forum. I like leather.:rolleyes:

AFDoc
10-09-2010, 07:24 AM
I don't know what the answer to the random clip question is but I'd shy away from a holster that puts something in the way of grabbing my pistol in an emergency. I'm going to experiment with hidden clips (like the velcro ones Crossbreed sells) when my leather holster is delivered.

OldLincoln
10-09-2010, 02:11 PM
It sounds to me like you want a Tucker Silent Thunder (like mine for the PM9). It is all Kydex except lined inside with soft leather. See pics in the link in my sig line.

Warhammer
10-09-2010, 02:34 PM
...Here's another new-to-CCW question: when tucking your shirt in with a tuckable style IWB holster, don't folks eventually ask what the random clip on your belt is? ...

No, they really don't. People just aren't that observant. Try it yourself... go get a small, black, metal clip, hook it onto your belt and wear it to work. I bet you could go for years without anyone noticing (or caring). New CCW holders are always paranoid about "being made." That fact is that people just don't notice and, unless they are also a gun nut, they never assume it's a gun if they do notice a bulge or clip. People rarely look lower that chest level when talking with others. (How many times have you ever heard "Hey, did you get a new belt?") Adding cases, key fobs, etc..., in an effort to camouflage your belt clips will actually attract people's attention to your belt. Wear a low key (read "black") belt, use black belt clips and don't act paranoid and constantly adjust your holster. You'll fly right under everyone's radar.

jlottmc
10-09-2010, 03:17 PM
I was getting ready to say something inline with warhammer there, but as was explained to me with a conversation with a cop that I work with (we were discussing comms actually.) I asked whether or not he had seen my left hip, he replied that he doesn't go looking at my ass or anyone else's.

RagnarD
10-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks all for the thoughts. Lincoln, the Silent Thunder is high on my list, along with the Shirttail Special, the DM Bullard Air Marshall, and a few others.