PDA

View Full Version : Advice on purchase of KAHR 9mm model PM9093A

BK Meyers
10-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and have a question regarding purchasing a used PM9 pistol. I have been out of the gun market for a few years so I am trying to "catch up" on what is now available for sale.

I have an opportunity to buy a used KAHR 9mm model PM9093A from a local pawn shop. Unit was made 11/4/03 and selling price is $200.

I am interested in using it for a CCW. Unit appears to be in good condition and comes with its original case and paperwork (even has the registration paperwork).

Anyone know of any issues with these pistols that were produced in that time frame??

Thanks,
BK

jocko
10-17-2009, 04:45 PM
a heh of a good, no great price, but it,, check it over good, ans if u can get the serial number before buying and then this kahr sithe has the serial number history of that gun, you can look on this site to see more about it, Of it works ok, age has nothing to do with it. I would certainly buy it for that price..

ltxi
10-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and have a question regarding purchasing a used PM9 pistol. I have been out of the gun market for a few years so I am trying to "catch up" on what is now on available for sale.

I have an opportunity to buy a used KAHR 9mm model PM9093A from a local pawn shop. Unit was made 11/4/03 and selling price is $200.

I am interested in using it for a CCW. Unit appears to be in good condition and comes with its original case and paperwork (even has the registration paperwork).

Anyone know of any issues with these pistols that were produced in that time frame??

Thanks,
BK

Check for peening on the barrel hood. I believe there was an issue with some PM9s made in that time frame. Even so, for $200 I'd snap it up in an instant. In good condition, that's less than half what it's worth. A replacement barrel if necessary is somewhere just north of $100 from Kahr and it's a drop-in.

BK Meyers
10-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. I do have the serial number so I'll check the website for more info. I was able to use the serial # and from a thread on this website found that it was due for a barrel recall. I'll call KAHR on Monday morning to see if it has been in for service. Hopefully have it in-hand by Tuesday morning.

Thanks again,
BK

wagon
10-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Assuming it is in good functional condition as it appears to be, $200 is a steal.

I'd call up Kahr first thing in the morning right outside the pawn shop... if everything is to your satisfaction, then just walk in and snatch it... don't wait for Tuesday. :D

Dietrich
10-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Absolutlely.Jump on it for that price.Yesterday.

jocko
10-18-2009, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the quick responses. I do have the serial number so I'll check the website for more info. I was able to use the serial # and from a thread on this website found that it was due for a barrel recall. I'll call KAHR on Monday morning to see if it has been in for service. Hopefully have it in-hand by Tuesday morning.

Thanks again,
BK

back then never sent their barrels in for the recall, as they never gave any issues. back then the recall was not for peeing but for feed issues, and all kahr did back then was take your old barrel and polish it to a mirror finish and send it back.

If this gun shows no signs of peeing, which will be obvious as the barrel hood at the top front and the slide also will show some peening where both make lock up contact. If that is not evident, then just shoot it like you stole it.

I doubt if kahr will replace this for you as it a used gun and their warranty covers the original owner.

If the barrel looks good and the slide looks good, then buy it and take the barrel off and polish it yourself. that is a simple no brainer, that any dremel with a cotton tip and some polishing compound can do or even 600-1000 grit auto sand paper willdo the same.

If the barrel and slide show any peening, I would just pass on it, but you should be able to see it.

What I think you will need to do is to buy a new recoil spring assembly, as kahr did upgrade that assembly for issues it was having with reliability. If you buy this gun, measure the recoil rod flat peace that goes next to the barrel. If it measures 3/8" inch buy a new set up, if that flat washer part measure 1/2" then you have the upgrade.

Other than that, for $200 and if all looks good it is a steel, buy it and shoot it like you stole it..

Make sure that outter recoil spring is always on correctly also. The open end of the spring goes towards the front of the slide...very easy to see the difference to..

PM sent to you....

wagon
10-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Any update? Are you going to get it? Just curious ...

Thanks again,
BK

BK Meyers
10-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Any update? Are you going to get it? Just curious ...

Have not been able to get back to the pawn shop yet (my work schedule doesn't fit with their schedule very well).

BK