PDA

View Full Version : Disassembly/Reassembly Question?

PM9 Convert
10-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Ok - Disassembled the pistol - easy enough; cleaned it thoroughly, lubed it according to the picture you can get from these forums.

Good so far - reassembled the gun; the manual and videos don't match in some respects. For example, the manual tells you, while putting the slide back on to depress a part, but the video does not tell you to do this so I didn't.

Ok - now for the slide stop pin. Don't mess up the spring, Don't mess up the spring, Don't mess up the spring - ok - barrel lug, line up markings, half moon cut out thingy lined up - push in slowly- ok. Don't think I messed up anything. Slide locks open on an empty magazine and when I manually push up on it. That didn't seem too complicated. I am assuming if I did something wrong on reassembly, I wouldn't be able to rack the slide or anything like that. Man, they make such a big deal out of this part.

Looked at front of barrel after reassembly - barrel is tightly mated with slide hole right there and I can see a very small half moon shape clearance above the barrel - it does not appear to affect function, but I am wondering if others know what I am talking about. It appears to be a small amount of clearance so the barrel can tip up when the gun is fired and has some room to do that.

By the way, regarding magazines. I even rubbed them with a brand new silicone cloth and they don't drop free from the gun. Safety feature I suppose. If you accidently hit the magazine release, you would just want to tap the clip back in, not pick it up off the ground and then have to put it back in. Just wanted to know if this is normal.

Pender1
10-18-2009, 06:40 PM
By the way, regarding magazines. I even rubbed them with a brand new silicone cloth and they don't drop free from the gun. Safety feature I suppose. If you accidently hit the magazine release, you would just want to tap the clip back in, not pick it up off the ground and then have to put it back in. Just wanted to know if this is normal.

This is a problem that a lot of people have. My PM45 drops clips right out, but I've heard a lot about this happening. I think it's just a design flaw. Cartridge and Slide's customization packages include modifying the frame to solve this.

Dietrich
10-18-2009, 08:12 PM
It sounds to me like you put it back together fine.They do tend to scare you about the spring don`t they? As far as your magazine not dropping out of the gun,I offer the following. I have four factory magazines for my PM9. 3 of them are 6 round mags and the other is a 7 round. Two of the 6 rounders drop free when I press the release button. The other 6 round and the 7 round do not.I figure it`s the magazines themselves but then again,I`m no expert.I hope this sheds some light that will help you.

wagon
10-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Small 1/2 moon shaped clearance located on 12 o'clock position, I suppose it is for the barrel to slide up. My USPc 40 (sold) has it too.

Mine does not have the magazine release issue as you describe, mine will drop free no matter the mag is empty or loaded.

PM9 Convert
10-19-2009, 11:25 AM
I am not overly concerned with the magazine drop free issue.

With the clip fully loaded, the extra weight will cause it to "drop free".

With it empty, it will not drop free from the gun. It happens with my 7 rounder also.

My glock pistol magazines when empty won't drop free either really.

I think on the PM9 the magazine well in the handle and the magazines are mated pretty tightly, at least on my gun, but I have not broken mine in yet, so maybe after that, I will see a difference.

Has anyone talked to Kahr tech support about this?

jocko
10-19-2009, 03:49 PM
as kahrs are of the browning design with the lock breech , the barrel cams as u well know upon ejection. if that half moon space was not there between the barrel and slide, the gun would not function. they all have it..

To me it sure isn't rocket sciene to properly put the gun back together either... One just needs to pullback on the slide just a tad to installthe slide lock lever through the barrel lug, and then just line up the two witness marks on the slide and frame and push the slide lock lever all the way in. If by chance you get it in wrong, it will ALWAYS lock open with loaded magazine, that should tell u tha tyou have did it wrong. If you installit wrong, it will always want to push the slide lock lever upwards instead of wanting to pull it downward..

I have hit the 25,000 round mark today and I have had that slide off I would guess 500 plus times and I am stillon my original slide lock spring that is on the left side of the grip. That spring should never wear out...

PM9 Convert
10-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Actually, I just checked the slide stop and spring assembly again today.

My PM9 is a brand new gun and Kahr must have done something to the slide stop and spring to ensure they would stop getting issues with this. When I took the slide stop out and then went to put it back in, I noticed that when you have it at the 4:00 position and then move it to the 3:00 position (The video or manual tells you to do this to ensure the slide stop spring is resting on top of the protrusion in the slide stop), that almost doesn't matter anymore.

Why, because once you have the half moon shape part of the slide stop aligned and in the slide, you can't move the slide stop part up or down anymore. The only thing you can do is push it all the way in at that point.

I suppose if the angle of the slide stop spring was not correct or made right at the factory, you could have an issue, but if everything is done to specs, Kahr appears to have solved this issue, at least with brand new guns.