PDA

View Full Version : is this k40 worth it?

dragharley1
10-20-2010, 02:14 PM
found a k40 in a local shop , seems to be in good shape and not fired to much had the wood grips, they wanted 369.99 for it is this a good price? or should i hold out and keep looking ?

MikeyKahr
10-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Hi dragharley1, welcome to the discussion board. Bud's has the base model K40 for $678.00 new, and they generally have the best prices around. Was the used one stainless or blackened stainless? Did you happen to get the ID# so you can check year of manufacture? Depending on condition and specifics, I'd say that's a good price generally speaking. I'll let the more well-versed Kahr owners speak to your second question.

dragharley1
10-20-2010, 03:00 PM
it was the polished stainless version, no i didnt get the ser # i may go back and check it out again

Bawanna
10-20-2010, 03:02 PM
In a shop that price seems almost too good to be true. I suspect it might be an early carbon steel, some of which had the birdsong black t finish. Still a good gun. If it doesn't look worn and in good shape it's probably a good deal.
My early K40 came with rubber grips so the wood grips might be swapped out, not a bad thing either.
Only the serial number would tell for sure. Maybe they would look it up for you is you asked. I think I'd be after it if I was in the market for a 40. I know I'd hate to sell mine for that price.
Let us know what you find out, send pictures if you nail it.

Bawanna
10-20-2010, 03:03 PM
You slipped one in on me, must have hit the submit button at the same time. I'd be after it if its stainless and looks in good shape.

jocko
10-20-2010, 03:15 PM
it was the polished stainless version, no i didnt get the ser # i may go back and check it out again

the serial # will tellus alot about the gun. The price sounds super "BUT".

dragharley1
10-20-2010, 05:49 PM
well im gonna take a trip by there tom , they have the box and spare mag , was there a certain serial number that will show if its stainless or nickel?

ripley16
10-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Excellent price. The lowest I've ever seen for a "K" was $375 and that was a few years ago. If you want it, you'll probably never see a lower price.

dusty10
10-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Is it worth it? Yes, assuming good condition. It really depends more on what you are going to use it for. Oops, there's that preposition ending again, sorry oldlincoln.
If the gun is carbon steel you might not want to IWB carry in a southern summer as it most likely will rust eventually, But it would still make a good range gun.
Bottom line, I'd buy it for that price in a heartbeat.

jocko
10-21-2010, 06:12 AM
I bet if one laid $350 on the counter, he would own that K40...

dragharley1
10-21-2010, 09:46 AM
went and looked at it today upon closer insp , i noticed a small pit the size of a pin head so i assumed it was nickel and gave it a pass , still probabaly adecent deal , but ill hold out ,have the ser# in my car ill post it up later when i get a chance

jlottmc
10-21-2010, 09:51 AM
I'll snatch that up for sticker price, and carry IWB to boot. Then again, I have a bond with my weapons. I wish I could find a K40, much less steal one at that price around here.

tv_racin_fan
10-27-2010, 01:11 AM
Is it worth it? Yes, assuming good condition. It really depends more on what you are going to use it for. Oops, there's that preposition ending again, sorry oldlincoln.
If the gun is carbon steel you might not want to IWB carry in a southern summer as it most likely will rust eventually, But it would still make a good range gun.
Bottom line, I'd buy it for that price in a heartbeat.

I'd say it was an excellent price even were it the older carbon steel. I currently own a couple of K9's in the older carbon steel variety, one I got for a steal at $350... The other wasn't nearly as good a deal but it has had some work done on it, melting and trigger work and target crown.

As for the rust issue I can attest to this. I carry mine in a clip style IWB holster and if I don't take care of it as I really should I find a bit of surface rust on it from time to time. It doesn't really concern me as it is my fault and no fault of the gun itself. I just need to remember to take it out of the holster and give it a bit of an oil down more often...