PDA

View Full Version : Something Wrong with DeSantis' Superfly Pocket Holster?

Riccardo
11-30-2010, 05:00 PM
I've sold a few DeSantis Nemesis pocket holsters with no problem and as this holster has been around for awhile and seems to have a proven reputation, they go quick and every user I've spoken with seems happy.

Now currently I'm trying to sell a Super Fly, which is the next generation pocket holster from DeSantis. The material is stickier then the old Nemesis. It also has a removable covering flap that can hide the 'printing' a gun will show in a pocket. Strangely, I have had NO interest in this holster.

Before I invest any more time into Super Fly's, can anyone give me their feedback on using them with K, P, MK or PM series? Is there a problem with this seemingly great holster that I'm missing?

jeepster09
11-30-2010, 06:28 PM
My feedback is I don't care for any of the pocket holsters, make it to cumbersome [thick]. I prefer tuckable in the waistband. However I have not tried new style Super Fly. If you want to send it to me I will try it and give you honest feedback, if it works I would buy it, if not I will ship it back.

dusty10
11-30-2010, 06:39 PM
I have a superfly for my PM9. The whole pocket carry method really depends on the size and shape of your pants pocket. Unless your jeans are of the baggy variety, you are probably not going to like front pocket carry no matter what holster you choose. With cargo pants like say the 5.11 brand, pocket carry becomes very easy. Consider the pants as important to pocket carry as a good belt is important to holster carry. As for the superfly I sometimes use it with the protective flap and sometimes not. Great holster that stays put.

jocko
12-01-2010, 10:16 AM
I haven't used a "Super Fly" but used a "Nemesis" with a mouse gun and didn't care for it. Both versions are retained within the pocket for a draw. However, both requires the holster to be removed from the pocket to re-holster

humm been carrying my PM9 for over 3 years in my front pocket in jeans and so far I have had no reason to pull the gun out of my pocket, other than when putting it up when I get in the home etc, and the holster and gun all come out at one time. I have never pulled my PM9 out of my front pocket and really worried how I was going to get it back in the holster. Just for me not something one does often at all.

capriaz
12-01-2010, 10:19 AM
I have the superfly. "I have a cw9 with the crimson trace. I had to take the stitching out and modify the superfly to fit the laser. I use this holster sometimes, mostly when I tuck it in my back pocket. Front pocket still prints even with the flap in place. Carrying concealed, I do not understand the reholstering complaint unless it is for drills. I have also found it will sometimes turn when used in loose fitting pants (cargo, dockers). I use either rear pocket carry or IWB most of the time.

Alfonse
12-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I've been using the superfly for over a year, every day with a PM9 and CT laser. It's perfect, jeans or slacks. I like the flap, it really helps to keep it from printing. 5 stars.

jreXD9
12-04-2010, 05:41 AM
I've been using the superfly for over a year, every day with a PM9 and CT laser. It's perfect, jeans or slacks. I like the flap, it really helps to keep it from printing. 5 stars.

+1. mine works great, even in jeans. I prefer it in pants that are tighter since I don't like the gun flopping on my thigh.
As far as reholstering it......If I have to pull my PM9 in the first place, reholstering it is not going to be something I worry about. It's staying in the pocket unless it MUST be used.

Ivan
12-05-2010, 04:23 AM
I have the Nemesis and Superfly, but rarely use them any more. The Nemesis will not stay in the pocket and the Superfly seems way too thick. I have a Mika holster that is great, but does not completely cover the grip. There is a Recluse holster coming from Santa which offers the coverage of a Superfly, but seems to be considerably thinner.

Fowl Habit
01-05-2011, 09:44 PM
I have a Nemesis and will use it until my custom leather OWB holster I ordered comes in. Then the Nemesis will collect dust until my OWB holster can not be used for some reason. I prefer being able to train with my gear. Pulling the holster out of my pocket each time as previously stated by az4783054 is annoying at best.

2thhacker
01-06-2011, 07:11 AM
I used a Nemesis for a Kel Tec .380 for a couple years. It did what it was supposed to do. With mine at least, after a break-in period the holster molded to the pistol and would stay open for re-holstering. I guess it depends on how tight your pants are. I agree that re-holstering is not a big concern with pocket carry though. I've never tried the superfly, but if the thickness is no more than the nemesis I would give it a try. I sold my .380, and usually don't wear pants that allow pocket carry of my PM40. IWB for now.

tv_racin_fan
01-31-2011, 01:27 PM
I recently purchased a couple of the surperfly pocket holsters and I find them to bulky for my pocket even without the flap. I like the flap but they are just to thick.

When I carry my K9 I use a Bianchi 6D ATB clip on IWB holster that I clip in the pocket or just drop into my pocket.

jocko
01-31-2011, 01:41 PM
I have a Nemesis and will use it until my custom leather OWB holster I ordered comes in. Then the Nemesis will collect dust until my OWB holster can not be used for some reason. I prefer being able to train with my gear. Pulling the holster out of my pocket each time as previously stated by az4783054 is annoying at best.

holsters are not a fast draw area. I think we sometimes make to much out of this fast draw stuff. The nemesis for me is the best I have ever carried my PM9 in, It protects the trigger area, it conforms to my body instantly. It stay clean. It is priced very nice. It is not fast draw. I have two high dollar leather rigs for pocket carry that do no more, certainly they don't conform to my body like the nemesis does. I wish I had not got sucked in to that leather pocket stuff. Any holster that covers the trigger area competely like the nemisis does is not going to be a fast draw rig, as all u have to grab and pull is the grip area. My nemesis doesn't print as bad as some of the high dollar leather rigs do either.

rholmes69
01-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Is that a PM9 in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? :D

Alright, I'll go back to hiding under my log now!:crazy:

jocko
02-01-2011, 05:01 AM
When my PM9 is in my jeans front pocket in the nemesis, I would say if your a real gun person and know what your looking for, u can tell I am carrying.

Ask yourself this: How many people do you see in public where your eyes go to their pockets? I just never never do. I never think about that and I carry all the time. I sit and drink coffee with a couple Indiana State trooper biker friends of mine alot and I never tell them I am carrying and they hav enever even noticed.

i think we make to much to do about this printing stuff, be it in a nemesis or a good leather pocket rig, both will print. WTF , its a damn gun your hiding in your pocket and not a NAA mini revolver..

I do have a permit also, so it also adds to my never worrying about it, but Ihave never in 48 years been challenged as to what is in my pocket.

At my age,now if a young lady looks in that area and ask that question. I would be following here right out the door- pronto..

cgo99
02-01-2011, 05:37 AM
I have a custom made leather holster that I like but there are aways those pants that don't seem to agree with the holster, for that I keep a Nemesis. I think that like jocko said I make more about the printing than I should, I doubt anybody is looking at anybody else pockets.
Hell, not even my wife wants to know what's in my pocket, she knows for a fact that it can't be anything else than a gun. :banplease:

jocko
02-01-2011, 07:21 AM
cgo99: ur quote: I doubt anybody is looking at anybody else pockets

do you????

joshh
02-01-2011, 08:09 AM
i like my superfly and use the flap even when front pocket carrying as it helps drawing just the pistol from pocket. it is a good holster but i think its almost a little big for the pm9. about an extra 3/4" at bottom and the flap is big. even taking these things into consideration its what i carry most often. i may dust off an old sewing machine and modify it to my liking but i think im gonna try a ct laser 1st.

pm9fan
02-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Has anyone tried using a Superfly for an IWB holster similar to the clip-less Remora holster concept.

Seems if the velcro flap was used it would provides a sweat shield / skin irritation barrier and very thin holster. This would not be tuckable but would make a PM9 conform into the waistband.

Thoughts?

joshh
02-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Has anyone tried using a Superfly for an IWB holster similar to the clip-less Remora holster concept.

Seems if the velcro flap was used it would provides a sweat shield / skin irritation barrier and very thin holster. This would not be tuckable but would make a PM9 conform into the waistband.

Thoughts?

i suppose it'd work the same as the rubber material is very grippy on the superfly and it has a lot more surface area.
i have a soft clipper i got at basspro for $18 that works well too but its also a little big for my pm9 so now i put my glock22 in it and it fits great (other than the barrel sticking out an inch) and draws smooth.

cgo99
02-01-2011, 11:21 AM
cgo99: ur quote: I doubt anybody is looking at anybody else pockets

do you????
That's a fair question jocko, guess I deserve that.
I was thinking more on the lines of me looking at my own pockets but I guess it all depends on whose pockets are we talking about here......

jocko
02-01-2011, 11:37 AM
now tell me ur were just looking at her pockets. I think I seen the one on the right at Sturgis last year, some things came to my mind when I seen her.

Bawanna
02-01-2011, 11:41 AM
I pick the angel on the left. You reckon those are domestic britches or import?
They seem to fit very well.

cgo99
02-01-2011, 11:41 AM
now tell me ur were just looking at her pockets. I think I seen the one on the right at Sturgis last year, some things came to my mind when I seen her.
Let's just say I was looking in that general area :cool:, many things come to mind indeed when looking at them.

Bawanna
02-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Like what? Washing and care products, shrinking. ???

cgo99
02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
I pick the angel on the left. You reckon those are domestic britches or import?
They seem to fit very well.
Import from Mexico, that's Ines Sainz the one that visited the Jets' facilities and got all that media attention, remember?
The other one I think is Beyonce, I've don't even know a single one of her songs and yet I'm a big fan of her pockets.

JD Cowles
04-06-2011, 08:29 AM
dang, i searched 'superfly' and landed here. i have one on the way and wanted to see what you all thought. lots of good info and a nice twist at the end :D

JD Cowles
04-15-2011, 03:17 PM
got mine, and to answer the original question no there is nothing wrong with the superfly.

jocko
04-15-2011, 03:27 PM
now I am alittle miffed here guys and need some feedback. If I look at that photo on the right and say. "what an ass" would I be insulting or complimentingt her???

U know u hear that statement alot. like "ol jocko is such an ass" do I take that as an insult or a compliment?? I just need to know these things.

PattayaPistol
04-19-2011, 05:51 AM
now I am alittle miffed here guys and need some feedback. If I look at that photo on the right and say. "what an ass" would I be insulting or complimentingt her???

U know u hear that statement alot. like "ol jocko is such an ass" do I take that as an insult or a compliment?? I just need to know these things.

Hey Jocko. What a forum!!!! Isn't it nice to see that everyone thought better of replying. I believe that as long as one prefaces a statement with "With all due respect" one could argue that it was never an insult.

Now back to pocket carrying in those tight jeans, OMG. :eek:

Cheers
PP