PDA

View Full Version : "First generation" K9

Jim17
01-08-2011, 10:44 AM
I came across a "first generation" K9 for sale recently. How is it different from later iterations? Any problems? All I could find on-line was a remark about the feed ramp being too steep. Thanks.

jocko
01-08-2011, 11:27 AM
didn't actually know there was a K9 called a first or second or what ever generation. any chance you can test shoot it. How about the serial #, that will give you a reference to when it was made, as you can go to this forum and hit on kahr serial numbers and get very close to when it was born. U never stated the price either??

REACT
01-08-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm assuming that you're talking about the carbon steel K9's I have one (built 1996) and it is flawless. I have never had a single problem with it. It now sports smooth wood grips with stainless steel hex screws and XS Express (big dot) sights.

I paid $500 for mine, but it also looked like it was brand new (still does) when I bought it.

There are some minor cosmetic differences between the old K9s (1st gen ?) and the new(er) K9s, but nothing major that I know of.

Bawanna
01-08-2011, 01:45 PM
I have the same carbon steel version in my K40. It's had no issues either. It was originally all black but I ended up with a replacement slide early in it's life (I bought it new) and I had the slide replaced with stainless.
It's been magna ported and if it weren't for a PM45 addition to the family it would still be riding with me.

ripley16
01-08-2011, 01:48 PM
The changes that I'm aware of pertaining to the K9 include;

* A change of standard recoil spring from 22 lbs. to 20 lbs.
* Early K9s could be stainless or carbon steel.
* The frames dust covers are milled a bit differently, thinner, than early models.

REACT
01-08-2011, 05:15 PM
The changes that I'm aware of pertaining to the K9 include;

* A change of standard recoil spring from 22 lbs. to 20 lbs.
* Early K9s could be stainless or carbon steel.
* The frames dust covers are milled a bit differently, thinner, than early models.

I did not know that. How can I tell?

Edit: Nevermind. I see from a couple posted pictures that the stainless steel versions actually have the word STAINLESS stamped on the right side.

mattusmc
01-08-2011, 05:23 PM
I just traded a K9 made in 1995 for a newer P9. The K9 I owned had only two issues that would make it anything other than outstanding.
1. It was carbon steel and would rust quickly in humdity so it had to be oiled very often.
2. the recoil spring was very tight. I even had the slide catch a few empty cases as they were being ejected. My girlfreind could not even pull the slide back.
I was told to get a lighter recoil spring but never actually got one.

Other than that I loved the gun. Very good shooter and nice to carry.

Jim17
01-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Guys, thanks for the info. The gun is a 1999 vintage and is all stainless. Any problems that year?

blacksmith
02-11-2011, 05:18 AM
I have an early all carbon steel K9. Bought it used and had it hard chrome plated.

The recoil spring is heavier than my SS K9.

After the initial breakin, no problems.

Serve as my daily carry gun and backup.

newpm9er
02-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Can you tell me where you bought the stainless hex screw please? I too am looking for a set.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the carbon steel K9's I have one (built 1996) and it is flawless. I have never had a single problem with it. It now sports smooth wood grips with stainless steel hex screws and XS Express (big dot) sights.

I paid $500 for mine, but it also looked like it was brand new (still does) when I bought it.

There are some minor cosmetic differences between the old K9s (1st gen ?) and the new(er) K9s, but nothing major that I know of.

REACT
02-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Can you tell me where you bought the stainless hex screw please? I too am looking for a set.

In addition to what az4783054 said, here's another thread with all sorts of info

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=791