View Full Version : K40 vs K9

PaiN
01-30-2011, 01:21 PM
I had a chance to shoot a friends K40 today side by side with my K9.
The difference was remarkable. I had a PM40 in the past that killed me, the gun opened up my hand and caused bone bruising.
After the first mag through the K40 I started getting that ache again...by the third mag the pistol was pounding into the bone :mad: and I stopped shooting it.
By contrast the K9 was so comfortable, no discomfort what so ever. I shot ~100 rounds through it and it was as sweet as ever. My friend said, he never realized how hard the K40 recoiled and was pretty sure he was going to sell it and get a K9....The K40 didn't cause him pain like it did me but the K9 was so much more pleasant and controllable for him.

jocko
01-30-2011, 01:46 PM
their is a different in the "bang" thing with the 40 vs the 9, as u well know. If they were similar, there would not be two calibers so close in what they do. the 40 is a powerhouse. Some guns like the lightweight kahrs even magnify it. I would have thought the K40 would be very pleasant. Course if I owned it, I would magna port it and not have to be reporting of the pain and suffering!!

I think Bawanna ported his K40, he can maybe give you some "felt" recoil difference since he did it.

10Kahrs
01-30-2011, 02:17 PM
I had a K40 but sold it for a P40. I have to say I never had a problem with recoil with the K40. Matter of fact, I had the MK40 too and recoil was not bad either. If the recoil is bothersome Jacko is correct maga-na-port does great work and I had my P40 ported by them and I was REAL happy. It reduced the recoil by about 40% At least for me. It felt like I was shooting my CW9 with standard 9mm ammo. I'm going to send in my PM9 to have it ported and can't wait too see how much it reduces recoil or more important muzzzle flip. Their turn-around is fast. I had the gun back in 4 days! There are quite a few guys on this board that had their guns magnaported hopefully they will chime in too. A ported K40 should shoot like a cream puff!

Bawanna
01-30-2011, 02:19 PM
It definitely knocked the edge off the muzzle flip. But it still bucks. If a K40 is in your future I'd factor in a trip to Magna Port. Personally if your looking for bigger I'd take it to the next level and go 45.
Still got my fingers crossed for a K45 some day. Course my fingers are kind of crooked and they tend to cross even when I don't mean too.

TheTman
01-30-2011, 02:56 PM
That .40 can be a handfull, but it's a very effective self defense caliber. I have another carry pistol, a little Charter Arms .44 special, that I replaced the soft rubber grips with some slick low profile grips that don't print so much, that make it unpleasant to shoot. Always wear my padded shorty bike gloves when I practice with it. I look at it this way, if you ever do have to use your weapon in a self defense situation, one of the last things you are going to be concerned with is how your shooting hand feels. Now if you can't control it enough to get your follow up shots off quickly, then that's another case entirely and perhaps smaller more controlable caliber is needed.

jocko
01-30-2011, 03:30 PM
I had a K40 but sold it for a P40. I have to say I never had a problem with recoil with the K40. Matter of fact, I had the MK40 too and recoil was not bad either. If the recoil is bothersome Jacko is correct maga-na-port does great work and I had my P40 ported by them and I was REAL happy. It reduced the recoil by about 40% At least for me. It felt like I was shooting my CW9 with standard 9mm ammo. I'm going to send in my PM9 to have it ported and can't wait too see how much it reduces recoil or more important muzzzle flip. Their turn-around is fast. I had the gun back in 4 days! There are quite a few guys on this board that had their guns magnaported hopefully they will chime in too. A ported K40 should shoot like a cream puff!

another magna port fan. they get addictive limke kahrs.:D

jlottmc
01-30-2011, 04:35 PM
I'll gladly relieve you of that K40 miscreant. That has been a dream gun of mine from the beginning. Let me get the wife a job, and we'll talk Shekels.

PaiN
01-30-2011, 05:15 PM
I've shot and owned plenty of .40S&W....G23, Sig2022, H&K USPc and a few others.....While .40 snaps for sure none have ever bothered me the way Kahr .40's do. I can't shoot them without pain....it must be a combo of the recoil axis and tail design vs. my hand structure.

gunmut
02-03-2011, 07:41 PM
I have a P40 and K40: The P40 is a hand full, but the K40 has some recoil but much less. I can keep in on target with a two hand hold.

I also have a K40 covert; feels about like the K40 under recoil. Neat little weapon I found at a gun show about a year ago.:)