PDA

View Full Version : initial cleaning

pacific nw guy
11-14-2009, 10:34 AM
I was just reading the manual and it states the gun should be disassembled and cleaned before first use.

My shop told me to use it before i clean it as it is too tight to even take apart and when I called Kahr they stated you dont need to do anything before shooting it.

how many of you have taken their guns apart and cleaned before the first use? my gun is a pm40.

wagon
11-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Welcome to the forum! Where in the beautiful NW are you? I am just ~15 min from the ID state line.

Can't speak for all, but I always CLP every new firearms I own before shooting it the first time. Many (may not be all) manufacturers put lot of grease/oil etc.. (for good reason) before shipping them out the door, some guns are really FILTHY outta box. I see it no harm to carry out this "ritual".

Striping new Kahr gun is no more difficult than any other... except for the slide stop which you would need to punch it out.... it will loosen up over time anyway. But that's about it.

Good luck.

Dietrich
11-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Howdy,I always take a new gun apart and inspect, clean and lube it before I fire it for the first time.I do it because it is just my habit to do it.I have never had a problem with any firearm being too tight to take apart and my two Kahrs were no exception.However,if the folks at Kahr said you don`t need to do it,I wouldn`t presume to debate them.Good luck and good shooting.

Raoul
11-14-2009, 12:37 PM
I definitely cleaned my PM40 before firing. I just don't trust whatever the manufacturers grease them up with.

mr surveyor
11-14-2009, 03:49 PM
I field strip every firearm that comes into my possession, whether new, or used, prior to the first range trip. I don't do this just to clean and lube, but to check for machining burrs, tool marks, and check the chamber for any inconsistencies. Plus, I want to know for sure how to field strip and reassemble before I take a gun for it's first outing. And, dryfire practice (within the manufacturer's recommended guidelines) prior to the first range trip is also a good thing.

Learn as much as possible about your newly acquired firearm before your first range trip, and you may avoid some possible disappointments.

just my SOP

surv

kpm9
11-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Take it apart and clean it. Then inspect it and look over it. I do this will all my weapons. It's good practice.

Spank the Monkey
11-14-2009, 06:06 PM
I always take my Kahrs apart for a thorough cleaning with Gun Scrubber & Hoppes before I shoot 'em. Seems to help with breakin. Lube per instructions and enjoy. :) The NW is a great place!

ltxi
11-14-2009, 08:00 PM
I agree with Kahr....their guns ship wet. Since my my dealer has a range, I just shoot it right out of the box when I pick it up. Take it home, clean it, polish a/r, and do another range break-in session.

That "too tight to take apart" advice/comment is bs at best, total ignorance at worst.

pacific nw guy
11-15-2009, 04:23 PM
wow that was easy.....though the part in the manual that states if you dont get the pin in right you have to send the gun back for serviced is a bit un nerving. seems to have gone well. i wont be able to shoot it until wednesday but so far so good.

what is funny to me is that when i pick up my xdm 9 it feels huge.

zena
11-15-2009, 05:41 PM
I clean my "nicer" guns before shooting. Just to make sure the chamber and barrel have no crud in them. I will admit to shooting my Glock right out of the box. I wanted it to know from the start that it was not going to be pampered. :D

Raoul
11-15-2009, 07:09 PM
I will admit to shooting my Glock right out of the box. I wanted it to know from the start that it was not going to be pampered. :D

lol. What is it about a Glock? They just don't get any respect. FWIW, I did the same thing.

NavJAG06
11-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Field stripped my PM9 per the manual instructions and cleaned and lubed the firearm before taking it to the range.

TopDog
11-18-2009, 03:47 PM
First Post. Just bought my first Kahr today, a PM45 and the first thing I did was what I do to every gun I buy. I field striped it, inspected it and then cleaned it with gun juice.

I always clean and inspect every gun I buy either new or used. And coating it with gun juice will make cleaning easier.

PS I cant wait to put a couple of hundred rounds through this baby.