PDA

View Full Version : No nonsense ? about P9 ammo choice

djans1397
02-23-2011, 06:36 PM
ok all, I've spent awhile readnig all the posts about what's the best 9mm ammo to carry for SD purposes. These are my factors in choosing the right ammo for ME. I do not mean to rehash old topics or open up a can of worms, just looking for BASIC info, input from others. In the real world, a few less FPS in velocity, wound channels expansion-penetration probably doesn't make that much difference. That being said;

1) for EDC SD purposes only. -
I will not be going HOG hunting in GA, to Iraq fighting well body armored individuals or the Chicago walking through the scariest hood known to man. Also have no need to shoot through glass doors etc - I suppose unless I'm about to be run over by my psychotic ex :p

2) I have smaller hands, ?weaker?, but have no prob shooting my S&W 500 mag and am not afraid of recoil from ANY gun, but rapid 2nd shot follow up is important to me.

3) reliabilty is critical, cost is not.

That should cover my needs / factors in selecting my ammo. Keep it simple guys.

Thanks much,
Dan

BTW, I'm leaning towards Hornady CD loads. I carry these in my 380 , 38 and 357. Just seem to make sense for me from all the literature I've read.

ripley16
02-23-2011, 07:02 PM
* I like a top quality bullet design. Many ammo makers use good bullets.
* I like a nickled case.
* I prefer low flash powder.

Hornady Tap, Gold Dot or Winchester PDX1 all have these qualities. I'm happy with any of these rounds.

Indigo
02-23-2011, 07:47 PM
I have fired ~300 rounds of 147 grain Golden Sabers through my K9's. No flaws.

OldLincoln
02-23-2011, 10:54 PM
I wish for a greater impact in the 9mm, so I carry Federal HST +P 247gn. They consistently expand, the heavy bullet adds penetration and the +P gets it going a little faster. It may be more of a confidence builder thing but I prefer them.

ripley16
02-24-2011, 05:54 AM
I wish for a greater impact in the 9mm, so I carry Federal HST +P 247gn.

That's a pretty heavy bullet!! :eek:

:D

eastenn
02-24-2011, 09:28 AM
That's a pretty heavy bullet!! :eek:

:D

Lol heavier than a 230gr .45. I think Oldlincoln is using the 147's. Simple typo, we forgive you.

OldLincoln
02-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Yeah, that's more like a Freudian slip. I like heavy and would shoot bricks if I could, but alas, it is 147gn. And thanks for the grace, I find I need more of it these days, sigh....

jocko
02-24-2011, 01:00 PM
I just attributed that sliip up to AGE. I t happens u know???

OldLincoln
02-24-2011, 02:29 PM
How would you know, you whippersnapper? Well actually in human terms we're about the same age, not sure about miles, but I don't ride a Harley either, I hear if you survive it makes you younger.

DKD
02-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Well to keep it simple and make a long story short, I have been an avid reloader for over 36 years and have read extensively on this very topic.

for the shorter barrels in 9mm I would go with the 124 grainers myself, but if you pistol has at least a 4" barrel I wouldn't be afraid to use the 147 grainers.
The previous comment on the better penetration is absolutley correct. I wouldn't feel handicapped to use any of the Gold Dot, Federal Hydoshocks, or Corbon DPX or Golden Sabre rounds. They all seem to do the job quite admirably well.
Confidence in a particular round is very important, so shoot any of the above and go afield with confidence. To Quote JOCKO go shoot it like you stole it.

Mr. S
02-24-2011, 06:20 PM
ok all, I've spent awhile readnig all the posts about what's the best 9mm ammo to carry for SD purposes. These are my factors in choosing the right ammo for ME. I do not mean to rehash old topics or open up a can of worms, just looking for BASIC info, input from others. In the real world, a few less FPS in velocity, wound channels expansion-penetration probably doesn't make that much difference. That being said;

1) for EDC SD purposes only. -
I will not be going HOG hunting in GA, to Iraq fighting well body armored individuals or the Chicago walking through the scariest hood known to man. Also have no need to shoot through glass doors etc - I suppose unless I'm about to be run over by my psychotic ex :p

2) I have smaller hands, ?weaker?, but have no prob shooting my S&W 500 mag and am not afraid of recoil from ANY gun, but rapid 2nd shot follow up is important to me.

3) reliabilty is critical, cost is not.

That should cover my needs / factors in selecting my ammo. Keep it simple guys.

Thanks much,
Dan

BTW, I'm leaning towards Hornady CD loads. I carry these in my 380 , 38 and 357. Just seem to make sense for me from all the literature I've read.

1)Not sure what you are saying here. How do you know who or what you will have to shoot at (or through)?

2) Don't eat at BK, their burgers are huge and you'll need a friend to hold it for you...seriously try a standard pressure load of the 147 gr. variety (HST,Gold Dot,Remington GS,Ranger T etc...)

3) Reliability is very important and to find something that work will cost you some $$$ but shooting is fun so have at it.Buy a box of a few different types,shoot em and write some notes about accuracy and recoil etc...and when you find something that works HORDE IT!!!

djans1397
02-24-2011, 08:56 PM
thanks for all the input everyone. Any thoughts on the Hornady Critical Defense115gr?

rnpollard
02-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Critical Defense appears to lack in the penetration department.

I carry Corbon DPX in all my carry guns.

I don't think there is a better round out there.

onegun
03-04-2011, 06:17 PM
For those that like it Ammo to go has a really good price on Fed 9BPLE. (std pressure)

Jeff00042
03-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks onegun. I just ordered 500 rounds of the Federal 9bp standard pressure load. I have always favored this round. It may not be on the cutting edge of self-defense loads but it is super reliable, has low recoil & flash and is the most accurate round I've ever used in my P7s and Kahrs.

pappy42
03-11-2011, 06:37 PM
The shorter the barrel, the less velocity. Go with a 147 gr. load so that you will get enough pentration. If not, go with 124gr. ball. There is no free lunch.

jocko
03-11-2011, 06:44 PM
I would be surprised if this modern day +P 9mm stuff won't go through 90% of the people shot and 1"past the body is just wasted and possably on its way to harming someone else..

onegun
03-11-2011, 07:23 PM
I would be surprised if this modern day +P 9mm stuff won't go through 90% of the people shot and 1"past the body is just wasted and possably on its way to harming someone else..

I haven't shot heavier than 124+P for a long time. Some (not all) of the heavier stuff was designed for 9mm carbines in Europe and just doesn't measure up to modern lighter +P. An exception that seems to be very good is HST. My favorite in all my 9mms has long been Speer 124gr +P as it is accurate, reliable and, from all reports, performs well. That may change (see below)

Thanks onegun. I just ordered 500 rounds of the Federal 9bp standard pressure load. I have always favored this round. It may not be on the cutting edge of self-defense loads but it is super reliable, has low recoil & flash and is the most accurate round I've ever used in my P7s and Kahrs.

I fired a 50 round box of it yesterday in my K9 and I was totally impressed with the accuracy. I was shooting at 18 yds, sorta fast, and all 50 rounds went into the center of a 3" bullseye (and none were out of it!) That included 20 rounds left handed. It's an old school 9mm police load that has proven itself over the years, and is still carried by some agencies.

Jeff00042
03-11-2011, 07:33 PM
20 years ago, when my eyes were better, I once put five rounds of the 9bp into 7/8" at 25 yards with my P7M8. This was from a bench rest position. I'm no sharpshooter but had one really lucky day with an amazing pistol.

jocko
03-11-2011, 07:48 PM
I can do that today with my PM9 at 25 yards offhand even, with one hand behind my back and with a patch over my good eye-while running even backwards, course all my shots are ONE SHOT GROUPS.

I really love those P:7's I can remember back when over 45 years ago, when u couldn't give away a P7..