PDA

View Full Version : New Kahr Guy, starting with a PM45

TopDog
11-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi - long time shooter first time Kahr.

Been carrying a Glock 22 for the last 10 years and just wanted to shift gears, get a smaller weapon for CC. The owner of my favorite gun shop could not say enough good about his Kahr PM45. So I did some research found some negative comments, mostly postive. With the glowing endorsements from the gun shop owner I decided to take the plunge this morning and bought a PM45.

I know the drill, 200 rounds before any concern should be shown. My only other sub compact is a Kel-Tec PF9 that is some what unpleasant to shoot. I'm hoping the PM45 is not too brutal during the first few hundred rounds. She has been cleaned, inspected and ready for the range, I'm penning in Friday for the break in shoot. I named her Betty, lets see if she is a good Betty or a bad Betty.

I will post my impressions after my first range trip.

jocko
11-18-2009, 04:44 PM
your PM45 weillbe more pleasant than that PF9 even, IMO. U picked a super nice gun to replace the g22

kpm9
11-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Looking forward to hearing your experience. My PM45 has been a good one.

Bulldog Custom Gun Leathe
11-18-2009, 05:48 PM
I think you made a wise choice. I've fired the PM9, and PM40 before buying my PM45. In my opinion the PM45 is more pleasant to shoot then either the 9mm or 40 cal. It has a less snappy recoil.
As an added bonus it makes bigger holes in the paper and the bad guys of society.

Randy

jocko
11-19-2009, 05:52 AM
I think you made a wise choice. I've fired the PM9, and PM40 before buying my PM45. In my opinion the PM45 is more pleasant to shoot then either the 9mm or 40 cal. It has a less snappy recoil.
As an added bonus it makes bigger holes in the paper and the bad guys of society.

Randy

like the PM45 is startng to catch on with the shooters also. At first , they had a few teething issues that eventually got worked out and now everyone seems to love shooting them.

It is pocketable even, as I have a fellow poster on another forum that retired his PM9 for the PM45 and pocket carrys it all the time. Just not sure to many other 45 cals can say that even. I being a 9mm fan love my PM9 and my G19 but that damn little PM45 is starting to eat on me somewhat to..:der:

TopDog
11-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Lets start with first impressions. I took the gun apart and cleaned it. I took note of the fine fit and finish, a quality well made machine. It was tight as hell. I cleaned it with Microlon Gun Juice. Ergonomics - excellent fits my hands well and points naturally for me. Nice wide faced trigger, I really liked this feature. Trigger seemed kind of mushy dry firing, but I expect that will straighten out after break in.

Now to the range.

Ammunition used:
100 rounds of Winchester White Box 230gr FMJ.
5 rounds of Winchester Ranger SXT JHP 230gr +P
5 rounds unknown light load FMJ handed to me at the range
5 rounds unknown different light semiwadcutter loads handed to me

Before I start I have to ask, What the heck is with this fire 200 rounds before you consider the gun reliable babble I picked up from the net and talking to others? The PM45 performed F-L-A-W-L-E-S-S-L-Y. Not one hick up from the gun out of 115 shots fired. None of the infamous Mag dropping while firing nonsense I had heard about. If that was a problem at some point and time, it has been fixed. Also the Mags dropped clean each and every time I hit the Mag release.

Accuracy was amazing at 7 yards. After a short time shooting I had to pick another spot on the target because I had made a hole the size of a child's hand by hitting in the same spot over and over. Now maybe some of you reading this do the same thing routinely. But at my age with my eyes etc I don't. I was impressed with how well this pistol shot. At 25 yards nothing to brag about. But I'm betting that had more to do with me than the gun.

Perceived recoil was light, (much less than expected for a sub-compact shooting 45 ACP) another aspect of this model that was a pleasant surprise. I was able to shoot exactly where I aimed time and time again. Follow up was quick for a sub-compact. I also have a Kel-Tec PF9 and follow up is not as quick as this Kahr was.

The action is smooth. Not as great as some high end 1911's, but much smoother than some other handguns I own and have shot. I wont go into one on one comparisons, lets just leave it at I enjoyed shooting this gun.

The trigger. Wow after a slight take up, there is a long travel before it breaks, much longer than expected. Understandable on a pistol this size. But it was longer than I would like or feel is necessary. During dry fire I thought the trigger was kind of mushy as stated previously. Well it did break in and I think after a few hundred more rounds it will be fine. My trigger gauge says she is set at 6.5 lbs. a bit heavy, I think 5.5 lbs would be plenty. It doesn't bother me enough to seek out a polish job on the trigger but it could be better.

A quick word about the magazines. The two five round Mags performed flawless as well. But I did notice something. Most of my other pistols don't need the Mags snapped in the gun. Twice I inserted the Mag and didn't push it hard enough to seat properly. That is because when the Mag going in hits the Mag catch it then meets enough resistance you could think its all the way in, its not. This happens within a quarter inch of actually being properly seated in the gun. NOT a big deal, but something to be aware of. I consider this operator error.

Conclusions - This gun fits me well and will be my new daily carry weapon. I'm calling her good Betty. For me its astonishingly accurate and reliable, if it had a better trigger it would be perfect. I have never said this much about a gun online before, I'm just impressed with the Kahr PM45 I had to write something.;)

Thanks for reading - Be Safe

mammynun
11-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Good report! Good to see a fellow INGOer has had as good luck with his PM45 as I have with mine.

I don't even try to compare the trigger with any other semi; it's more like a revolver in my mind. Long and smooth, and mine keeps getting smoother. I'm up to approx 1.2k rounds, but it will be geeing less action now that my .45 ammo budget is split 3 ways (Kahr, Sig, Taurus).

kpm9
11-24-2009, 05:46 AM
Nice report. Mine works well and after 500 rounds has smoothed out very well in the trigger. It is actually better than my PM9s trigger which has many more rounds through it.

First Kahr. So.. you're impressed? ;)

jocko
11-24-2009, 06:32 AM
the action will get smoothed out with more rounds and IMO be as smooth as the good 1911's out there. Nice report.

the trigger is there by design. It is a 3/8" travel, smooth all the way, no staging or anything. It to will get smoother down the road also. If you want a lighter striker spring, go to wolffs gunsprings.com and order their 5# striker spring for your PM45. It just drops right in. I have had them in my K9 and PM9 ever since I got them. Still
the same trigger travel, just less poundage. Nice set up.

Nice report and ur right most kahrs today do not need the 200 round break in but in some cases it is needed.

the mag thing might also take care of itself after a few hundred insertions. Just a touch of the mag rleease upon insertion will also take care of what your stating.

TopDog
11-24-2009, 03:15 PM
First Kahr. So.. you're impressed? ;)

Yes I'm impressed. I have a lot of experience with handguns both polymer frames and all metal. But the only other sub compact I have is the PF9 and there is a world of difference between the two guns. I really think highly of Kahr now that I owned and shot one.

jocko
11-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Yes I'm impressed. I have a lot of experience with handguns both polymer frames and all metal. But the only other sub compact I have is the PF9 and there is a world of difference between the two guns. I really think highly of Kahr now that I owned and shot one.

two totally different gun, price and quality...

kpm9
11-24-2009, 04:13 PM

For what they are designed for (concealed carry in the real world) they are hard to beat.

Practice often with it, and you'll be surprised at how smooth (smooth is fast) they can shoot.

TopDog
11-29-2009, 04:13 PM
two totally different gun, price and quality...

Yes Sir, quite true, but my comment included all handguns as well. I would stack this Kahr up against any stock handgun.

jocko
11-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Yes Sir, quite true, but my comment included all handguns as well. I would stack this Kahr up against any stock handgun.

agree with you. Lots of great guns out there and kahr has to be one of them on the list, IMO..