PDA

View Full Version : Crossbreed vs. ????

Captain Skippy
03-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I need help deciding between a Crossbreed Mini-tuck and one of the others IWB's on the Kharshop site. I recently retired from the police department after 25 years and have always carried my roscoe in a waist holster, even off duty, Miami Vice style. I have never been a fan of IWB. But I am taking a new job where I can be armed but it must be concealed well. Can't go around in Hawaiian shirts any more! Weapon is a CW9 with Crimson Trace Laser guard (sweet setup, but I'm so used to my Kimber 1911!).

Thanks for the feedback.

skater4790
03-03-2011, 09:59 AM
I also retired from law enforcement after 20 years of service in NYC and always carried my gun in an OWB holster (Galco) on duty (plainclothes) and off duty. I purchased a Crossbreed mini tuck from Kahr after I retired and carried that way for a few weeks. Man my back was killing me and I couldn't carry my gun (PM9) it felt so uncomfortable. Also you have to get larger pants and carry behind your hip. I like to carry in front of hip. I purchased an OWB holster from Adams Holsters and couldn't be happier. I always wear my shirts untuck and never had a problem concealing my gun. As for the Crossbreed holster I have a friend who carry his Sig 239 without a problem in the Crossbreed and loves it.

Captain Skippy
03-03-2011, 10:15 AM
NYC?! I'm in SC and once 3 detectives came here looking for a murder suspect whom we found. Never heard from one after 9/11. Bad part is I can't remember his name now. Anyway, I perfer OWB since like you it's the only way I ever carried, except for pocket carry for a back up. But with this new job (civilian) it's not an option. My main concern is comfort and how hot it gets here. Last year we had about a month straight over 100. Since Crossbreed has a 2 wk. trial, I may just order one. Tough decision. Thanks, and stay safe.

Willieboy
03-03-2011, 10:24 AM
I have a Comp-Tac/Minitaur MTAC which is similar to the Crossbreed design. The holster is fine and but I just dislike the tuckable concept. For me anyway, my gun, a PM9, just isn't concealed very well with my shirt tucked in on top of the gun.

I usually carry in a Comp-Tac Infidel holster IWB. I really like Comp-Tac's Kydex holsters and they have OWB models as well. Here's a link:

http://www.comp-tac.com/index.php

Bill

windsearcher
03-03-2011, 10:51 AM
I carried my Glock 23... (bigger than your Kahr).... in a Kholster. Similar to the Crossbreed Supertuck, it concealed quite well with a good quality polo shirt tucked in. You do need to dress for it.

Being down here in FL and the Gulf Coast, I was getting tired of the heavy gun all the time and trying to dress for concealment.... I now have a Kahr CW40 that I am carrying in a Supertuck and love it. For times that you can't have an untucked shirt, or your normal dress wouldn't allow a conceal garment, the IWB's like Kholster, Comp-Tac and Crossbreed do a good job. The discomfort of the iwb is a small trade off to make to ensure you have your firearm with you 24/7. (My opinion anyway... take it as you wish).

earle8888
03-03-2011, 11:31 AM
FYI, originally carried a S&W 19, 2 1/2 RB in a 7-Trees in the belt holster, I was lean and mean then.Didn't carry concealed for many years. Ken Null took over the 7-Trees and makes the same, very high quality. I got one of his for P45wCTL. very nice holster, BUT, I am very uncomfortable with it. Carry a PM40 in the pocket, Greaaaaat. Got a SOB for 1911, very comfortable and may become my regular carry with the CQB. On the belt is by far the most convenient and easiest drawer, but not that easy to conceal. SOB is going to take some practice drawing!

quikduk
03-03-2011, 02:03 PM
I have a custom TT Gunleather combo unit for my MK. Tim made it work for either IWB or OWB and it is very comfortable. Since the Kahr is so thin, I can SQUeeze myself into my 34" 501's where the XD9sc requires a 36". :rolleyes:

I personally feel that there are better options out there than the CB but a lot of people like them. I think that the Comp-Tac and the Tucker "The Answer" are much better versions (or maybe even the originals) than the CB.

I prefer leather ( :eek: ) ...for my guns, guys...SHEESH!

Here is a couple of pics of the TT MK rig.

[/URL][URL="http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/?action=view&current=MK_04.jpg"] [url=] http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/?action=view&current=MK_04.jpg (http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/?action=view&current=MK_04.jpg)

(] http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/quikduk/Guns-N-Stuff/?action=view&current=MK_05.jpg [/url)

It really is a nice rig. There are others that can make similar leather setups in a shorter time if you need to such as Barber, Pure Kustom, HBE etc. For just a holster, I like the Tucker leather lined Kydex "Silent Thunder".

YMMVOC

earle8888
03-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Quick-- nice photos

Bawanna
03-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Captain Skippy, dead horses don't mind being beat. They don't mind much of anything.

Fire up your google machine and check out Mernickle Holsters. They are aimed alot at cowboy and quick draw and that kind of thing but they have a line of concealment rigs that I swear by. The PS6 is what I carry my 1911 in and its very comfortable and concealable. It's OWB. I can't handle IWB too good either although I have a couple rigs I'm trying.
The Mernickle rides extremely high on the belt, little or nothing below the belt line. I asked and he said he had molds for my PM45, I'm not certain if he can accomodate your CTL or not but I suspect he can.
Bob and his wife are first class # 1 people and excellent at customer service.

Thanks for a long time serving the public. I've never been to SC but my daughter is hitching up to one of yours this summer. Since I never been there I guess you never wrote me a ticket so we're good.

Captain Skippy
03-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I will make up my mind after researching all the sites and place the order.