View Full Version : Equipment Maintenance

OldLincoln
03-05-2011, 01:13 PM
As I was pondering what and how the dies actually do work, I noticed mine were filthy inside. Nobody ever said anything about cleaning dies, but I took it on myself to take them apart the clean them. I've now cleaned and belled over 5,000 casings, actually built a few hundred rounds, so they have some usage. So I guess cleaning dies is a good thing.

Today, I noticed my Rockchucker gave a little shudder on the down stroke and I thought maybe it needs cleaning also. I took out the piston and it was messy dirty like a ***** diaper without the stink. I cleaned it up and greased it with some stuff I've had for over 20 years, but it is smooth again.

I remember when Bawanna gave it to me he had freshly cleaned it up. I was a struggle to not lick the grease off because it smelled so tasty. What was that stuff anyway? Probably shouldn't get it because I may become addicted.

So, just like polishing my PM9 all shiny, I'm learning the tools of the trade need a little love now and then.

mr surveyor
03-05-2011, 02:27 PM
I realize it's not the same...although it really IS the same.... since I'm just using the Lee Classic Loader (hammer 'em is - hammer 'em out), the principle of the dies is the same, I would think. After several hundred rounds of re-sizing lightly lubed cases I've found it a good idea to take a nylon bore brush sized for the round in question, and some hot soapy water and scrub the die out, then immediately dry it. Makes a whole lot of difference with my hammering dies, and the cases don't seem to get as marred;)

As for lubing the ram... I wonder if the graphite lubes would be a good thing to use...or something like Mil-Tec?

Bawanna
03-05-2011, 04:06 PM
My Hornady has grease zurks for chassi lube. I'm using some marine stuff I use on my outboard motor.
The ram don't really need much lube, it's gets to a point where it's just smooth as can be so just about anything would work. I think I spray Du Lite on that Rockchucker just to keep it from rusting on it's way to sunny California.
The Hornady has a few more pivot points so I suspect it would need a bit of grease from time to time, although it should wear in smooth too.

earle8888
03-06-2011, 12:46 PM
For-What-Ever-Its-Worth----I have used baby talc powder on moving parts and links. Doesn't attract krap as much. Also, clean-out dies with 70% rubbing alcohol.

garyb
03-14-2011, 08:42 AM
I'm learning the tools of the trade need a little love now and then.

Excellent point OldLincoln. I just received my Hornady LNL and watched the the DVD that comes with it, which says to start by cleaning the dies and greasing the zirks. Hornady recommends One Shot - a combo gun cleaner and DRY lube for the dies. Of course that is their brand, but it does make since that the dies would need to be degreased of the protective coating as well as maintenance of filth and crud, followed by lube with a dry agent. Probably other brands out there which will do the same job. Good point on the maintenance. I still need to read the manual, and perhaps it says something about periodic maintenance in there.

Time to start building a reloading bench. I originally planed to use my multi purpose garage shop bench, but it sees so many other functions (wood work, taxidermy, misc projects, etc...). A reloader might get in the way and it can be very dusty (wood work) and too much moisture and corrosion from the cars from the winter (ice/salt) or rain. So I've decided to locate a small reloading bench in a dry, warm, secure and convenient place in the house. I designed a bench over the weekend to custom fit it in a spot I picked out. I need to pick up the lumber and I am still waiting on a couple of accessories for the reloader before I get started. The LNL looks like a nice tool. Tx for the suggestion about regular maintenance.