PDA

View Full Version : K9 love/hate

HiCap
11-22-2009, 07:57 PM
I have a new K9. I've had several Kahr's before; poly. I like the way it shoots and feels, but it is the worst weapon I have ever hd to take apart and put together for cleaning. The takedown block is a help, but only if it is removed before the slide assembly is slid forward, to enable the barrel to go into battery. Putting the recoil spring back in place with grease on the fingers is a b_____. Lining up the slide lock for installation takes a third hand and a phenol hammer to install, at least for me. Is there a knack I'm missing?

HiCap

jocko
11-23-2009, 05:19 AM
Own a k9 and Pm9 an I have no issues at all taking it apart or putting it back to together. maybe u better stick with the poly's...

pistol pete
11-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Did you watch the assembly/disassembly video on the Kahr website? It looks pretty easy to do. I watched the video for the polymer framed guns before I cleaned my PM9 for the first time, and I did not have any problems. Might be worth checking out if you haven't already.

Pender1
11-23-2009, 08:20 AM
I've dissasembled several different model Kahrs and it's pretty simple, about the same steps as my 1911. That video is pretty helpful if you are new to it.

jocko
11-23-2009, 08:52 AM
no doubt " greasy hands" make anythng alittle more difficult to assemble..

wyntrout
11-23-2009, 12:51 PM
I have a new K9. I've had several Kahr's before; poly. I like the way it shoots and feels, but it is the worst weapon I have ever hd to take apart and put together for cleaning. The takedown block is a help, but only if it is removed before the slide assembly is slid forward, to enable the barrel to go into battery. Putting the recoil spring back in place with grease on the fingers is a b_____. Lining up the slide lock for installation takes a third hand and a phenol hammer to install, at least for me. Is there a knack I'm missing?

HiCap

Hi. I just cleaned my K9(new March 1998) and other weapons last night at my all-purpose kitchen table. The K9 is the only one that gave me pause. I grabbed a handy Sharpie marker and put it in my mouth. After lining up the slide release for removal with my hands, I just stuck the Sharpie into the ejection port with my mouth to keep the slide lined up -- piece of cake. Anything of similar size will work -- not quite a third hand, but the marker was long enough for the job. I do have to use a screwdriver handle to start the slide release out with a small tap.
Wynn

gunmut
11-23-2009, 10:47 PM
the all steel guns are a little harder to take down but the go together easy. Most of the fuss is over the slide stop pin....:31:

eagle12
12-13-2009, 02:47 PM
I have luck by putting an empty mag in the gun then pull the slide back to line up the cut out and then the slide stop comes out real easy!!

johnh
12-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Wait, you mean we are supposed to clean them?

:D

Sorry, could not resist. I hate to admit I am a member of the "clean it when it stops working" club. Too many years shooting AKs, and too many LE friends that run their guns hard. I have also had a few guns over the years that ran better once they were a little dirty.

John

PaiN
12-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Iit is the worst weapon I have ever hd to take apart and put together for cleaning.

solution: Buy a Ruger MKIII 22/45.....you'll forget all about K9 disassemble/assembly complaints

:madgrin:

jocko
12-16-2009, 01:30 PM
solution: Buy a Ruger MKIII 22/45.....you'll forget all about K9 disassemble/assembly complaints

u got that right. I have about 3000 rounds out of my MK111 and so far have not had to take it allthe way down. As long as I can spray clean that area and it works good as it has, I will leave it that way.

Romadoc
12-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Go to "youtube.com" and search "Rugersix" video on Kahr K9. His videos give complete visual instructions from beginning of take-down to final re-assembly.

In-Yo-Grill
12-22-2009, 07:42 AM

x1000 on that comment. The first few times is a bear. Now I can get my 22/45 back together pretty quickly.

cmichael
12-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Its that something like that? :D

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/cmichael_album/MichaelGuns043.jpg

ripley16
12-22-2009, 09:05 AM
I cut a piece of wooden dowel to fit into the ejection port to hold the slide in the exact position. Then I can focus on pushing out the pin. I agree the K9 is much more difficult than some other models. Curiously, the T9 is as simple as a polymer to disassemble. I wonder why the K9 and T9 aren't made the same?

jocko
12-22-2009, 10:48 AM
I cut a piece of wooden dowel to fit into the ejection port to hold the slide in the exact position. Then I can focus on pushing out the pin. I agree the K9 is much more difficult than some other models. Curiously, the T9 is as simple as a polymer to disassemble. I wonder why the K9 and T9 aren't made the same?

the T9 is put together like the PM series with that little springhy thing on the left side, which alot of people also hate. I have never had an issue with the K9 or the PM9 getting it apart. Actually the K9 is a much more durable slide lock assembly IMO than the PM series or the T series.

oh yes and then their is the Ruger MK 22 series, They are just such a breeze to take down...