View Full Version : Alabama Holster Company

melissa5
03-22-2011, 12:03 PM
My first thought for any gun is a leather AIWB holster, but for the PM9 I'm going to try kydex. I emailed Alabama Holster and they do make holsters for the PM9 with a CT laser. This one should be coming my way in about 30 days. It is "The Offside" and is tuckable. I chose straight drop with the j-hook option. I'll post a review after I have a few days with it.

http://alabamaholster.com/modules/gallery/albums/offside/img/101205041252_100_2889.jpg

Bill K
03-22-2011, 12:38 PM
For sure let us know how that works out.

For days now I keep meaning to order their front pocket holster ($25.00) for my PM9. Looks like a good value. Like how most of the molding is on the thigh side of the holster and how the Kydex comes up to about mid-trigger so it can be used for finger push off which I greatly prefer over thumb or sticky material or pocket catch, etc.

Bill K.

http://www.alabamaholster.com/modules/gallery/albums//front_pocket/thumb/101205055550_pocket.jpg

Dietrich
03-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Hi Melissa,I have carried my PM9 in a Crossbreed minituck since I first bought it two years ago.I haven`t noticed any adverse effects from the kydex on it or any other handgun I carry concealed.I own five of the Crossbreed holsters and find them to be exceptional but I have heard they fit men more comfortably than they fit women.Please let us know how the Alabama holster fits and feels.I`d love to find a comfortable IWB holster for Mrs.Dietrich.Thanks.

Bill K
03-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks Melissa, just finished getting off my butt and ordered that Alabama pocket holster.

Bill K.

DBP9
03-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Greg at Alabama Holsters makes great products, and their customer service is very good as well. I have one of the 360 IWB's that I carry my Glock 19 in.

melissa5
03-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi Melissa,I have carried my PM9 in a Crossbreed minituck since I first bought it two years ago.I haven`t noticed any adverse effects from the kydex on it or any other handgun I carry concealed.I own five of the Crossbreed holsters and find them to be exceptional but I have heard they fit men more comfortably than they fit women.Please let us know how the Alabama holster fits and feels.I`d love to find a comfortable IWB holster for Mrs.Dietrich.Thanks.

You're right about the fit on women. I used to have an MTAC for a few weeks and never could get used to it. The back side of the holster was scratchy and it was never comfortable sitting down. Great quality though and I assume Crossbreed is also.

The other day someone was telling me about putting moleskin on the MTAC to make it more comfortable. I may have to do that with the Alabama holster. Never had an all kydex before.

melissa5
03-22-2011, 03:44 PM
For sure let us know how that works out.

For days now I keep meaning to order their front pocket holster ($25.00) for my PM9. Looks like a good value. Like how most of the molding is on the thigh side of the holster and how the Kydex comes up to about mid-trigger so it can be used for finger push off which I greatly prefer over thumb or sticky material or pocket catch, etc.

Bill K.

http://www.alabamaholster.com/modules/gallery/albums//front_pocket/thumb/101205055550_pocket.jpg

I also like the looks of their pocket holster and would like a good review of it when you get it. ;)

melissa5
03-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Greg at Alabama Holsters makes great products, and their customer service is very good as well. I have one of the 360 IWB's that I carry my Glock 19 in.

That's good to hear. How long did it take for you to get it in your hands? It's going to be a long 30 days for me.

Bawanna
03-22-2011, 04:06 PM
You're right about the fit on women. I used to have an MTAC for a few weeks and never could get used to it. The back side of the holster was scratchy and it was never comfortable sitting down. Great quality though and I assume Crossbreed is also.

The other day someone was telling me about putting moleskin on the MTAC to make it more comfortable. I may have to do that with the Alabama holster. Never had an all kydex before.

I went and looked at Alabama's website, looks like good stuff. I have a feeling your correct in the need for moleskin or something. I've never got along real well with IWB in any form but have been trying a leather rig and my PM45. The Kydex alone especially AIWB seems like it would be unforgiving. Hope I'm wrong. Maybe with some moleskin and some sanding along the edges it might be comfy.
I think this is why they invented drawers. A resting place for holster options and accessories.

melissa5
03-22-2011, 04:23 PM
I went and looked at Alabama's website, looks like good stuff. I have a feeling your correct in the need for moleskin or something. I've never got along real well with IWB in any form but have been trying a leather rig and my PM45. The Kydex alone especially AIWB seems like it would be unforgiving. Hope I'm wrong. Maybe with some moleskin and some sanding along the edges it might be comfy.
I think this is why they invented drawers. A resting place for holster options and accessories.

At least the edges of the holster are rounded. I have seen some kydex holsters that were very square and pointy. Still, I think some moleskin on the bottom edge will be helpful.

Bill K
03-22-2011, 05:11 PM

http://www.mediabum.com/skins/MediaBum2007b/images/comments/laugh.gif

Willieboy
04-18-2011, 04:11 PM
I ordered a Hooker from Alabama Holsters today. I ordered the straight drop for a G26. I plan to try the G26 in the AIWB position.

gagnejs8
04-18-2011, 04:41 PM
"ordered a hooker" -hahaha

Bawanna
04-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Thanks. I wanted to say that soooo bad but figured someone would say it eventually. I never ordered a hooker before just in case anyone was curious.

I might have to go look at this one so I don't have to say that anymore.

gagnejs8
04-18-2011, 04:50 PM
"WINNING" - ok enough about hookers ans Charlie Sheen..... good luck with the holster

Willieboy
04-18-2011, 05:29 PM
I never ordered one either. However, a company I used to work for used to fix prospective clients up with a woman and a hotel room as part of the wining and dining process. Unbelievable, at least to me.

A female client of mine told me her boss used to hire girls to visit him IN HIS OFFICE during business hours. And, the imbecile used his corporate credit card to pay for the woman's services. And he used his corporate credit card to pay for the office chairs he and the women broke during their frolicking. Is this a great country or what?

DBP9
04-18-2011, 05:40 PM
That's good to hear. How long did it take for you to get it in your hands? It's going to be a long 30 days for me.

Same when I ordered, and he was right on track.

Bawanna
04-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Just to stumble back on track, I went and looked at the "Hooker". It really is a holster. Who'd a thunk.

It looks darn good. Priced reasonable. I gotta see if theres any room in my drawer at home, I might have to get one.

Willieboy
04-18-2011, 06:17 PM
It looks like a nice simple holster. That's what I like about it. I also like the looks of the wide/deep J hook.

melissa5
04-18-2011, 06:38 PM
I checked the web site today and the production time has jumped to 45 days.

DBP9
04-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Just send Greg an email or call him. When I ordered mine the lead time changed by a few days, but Greg said to go w/what was posted when I ordered.

Willieboy
04-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Today, I was told the lead time was 40 days.

Rainman48314
04-28-2011, 09:04 PM
I ordered The Offside for my PM9 the evening of April 20th. ANxiously counting the days. I'm good since my CPL License doesn't start until 5/20

Bill K
04-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Was just yesterday or the day before that the MC charge for my Alabama holster showed up. Hope they don't charge before shipping but it looks like they might.

Bill K.

Rainman48314
04-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Was just yesterday or the day before that the MC charge for my Alabama holster showed up. Hope they don't charge before shipping but it looks like they might.

Bill K.

I paid very shortly after my order but still expect to wait a few weeks.

Rainman48314
06-07-2011, 06:22 PM
I checked in with Greg by email. Mine may ship at the end of next week. I think he was ticked off because he offered me a refund.

Rainman48314
06-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Melissa,

Did you receive your holster and are you posting a review soon? I ordered April 20th and 45 days has come and gone.

Bill K
06-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Melissa,

Did you receive your holster and are you posting a review soon? I ordered April 20th and 45 days has come and gone.

Rainman,

My Alabama pocket holster was delivered about 3 weeks ago. Believe I ordered just a few days after Melisa ordered hers. Decent holster for the price but I did make some mods so that it would better fit my needs. Still not sure how I feel about stiff Kydex vs softer material for pocket carry.

Bill K.

melissa5
06-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Melissa,

Here's the review, Rainman! http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6863

Rainman48314
06-17-2011, 08:56 PM
I checked in with Greg by email. Mine may ship at the end of next week. I think he was ticked off because he offered me a refund.

My holster hit the USPS today. I may have it 61 or 62 days after I ordered it. The web has been saying 45.

I hope my mag holder will be a little quicker.

Rainman48314
06-19-2011, 07:39 AM
My holster hit the USPS today. (maybe not!) I may have it 61 or 62 days after I ordered it. The web has been saying 45.

I hope my mag holder will be a little quicker.

On Tuesday, 6/7/11 I was advised my holster was scheduled to ship out EARLY the next week. To my way of thinking, Tuesday is early, Wednesday is middle, Thursday or Friday are LATE next week.

A shipper can notify the USPS they intend to drop a package and USPS will assign the tracking number. It can take half a day for the package to actually start being monitored ASSUMING IT WAS DROPPED AT THE POST OFFICE. Well, late Thursday, I got a message thru PayPal that my item was shipped. The USPS sytem still does not acknowlege it was actually received (as of 9:30 AM Sunday). If it was actually handed over to the USPS, it should have been tracking by Noon last Friday.

Tuesday, 6/21, is best case scenario for delivery and would be day 62 since my order went in. The entire time, the website has been showing 45 days. Probably not the way to get repeat business.

Willieboy
06-19-2011, 09:13 PM
I have one coming too and it took a litlle longer than the advertised 45 days. However, I'm too old to sweat the small stuff. If it's a nice holster, I'll be happy. If it's not, I'll know better next time.

By the way, often I've received packages before the USPS knew they had it. I don't believe their website can be counted on for any accurate status information.

Rainman48314
06-20-2011, 01:25 AM
I have one coming too and it took a litlle longer than the advertised 45 days. However, I'm too old to sweat the small stuff. If it's a nice holster, I'll be happy. If it's not. I'll know better next time.

By the way, often I've received packages before the USPS knew they had it. I don't believe their website can be counted on for any accurate status information.Greg just sent an email explaining why he did not put my holster in the postal system Friday. He noticed I had a later order for a mag carrier and he is combining them and refunding some shipping charges. Expects to ship Monday. NOW I am happy.

Willieboy
06-20-2011, 01:53 PM
I received an email from PayPal that my holster shipped on June 17. Here it is the 20th and the USPS tracking service only says they have received electronic shipping info., whatever that means. I guess the holster could still be sitting on a bench at Alabama Holster. While I don't sweat the small stuff, or at least try not to, it is frustrating to have paid your money and then be left in the dark. It's clear someone is dropping the ball, just unclear who is is.

CPO15
06-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Willieboy; having gotten a holster from them in the past, I can tell you that the PayPay message was generated when the vendor printed a mailing label for your item: doesn't mean it is shipped, or even ready to be shipped; only that a label was printed.

Rainman48314
06-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Willieboy; having gotten a holster from them in the past, I can tell you that the PayPay message was generated when the vendor printed a mailing label for your item: doesn't mean it is shipped, or even ready to be shipped; only that a label was printed.
Alabama needs to realize that printing too far in advance of actually shipping, creates an expectation on the buyer side. I noticed this is also a Friday notice. Perhaps they print on Fridays, knowing they do most shipping Mondays. Odds are high the shipment went out today.

Willieboy
06-20-2011, 08:20 PM
We'll see, but I doubt it. The holster was supposed to ship a week ago and Greg said he'd email me when he shipped. No email yet.

CertifiedGunNut
06-21-2011, 08:52 AM
I have four holsters from Alabama Holster. Ridiculously impressed with the quality, Greg is definatly a craftsman. Just take a look at the testimonial page on his website and his facebook page. I just got a flapjack in for my Springfield Ultra Compact 1911 and it blows away the Raven that I waited three times as long for. Shipping took a little longer each time I ordered.....I got them all within a week of the shipping email. I'm gonna get in line again before the wait is posted in months instead of days.

Would you want to order from someone who is sitting around waiting for the orders to come in? :der:

Rainman48314
06-21-2011, 05:19 PM
I have four holsters from Alabama Holster. Ridiculously impressed with the quality, Greg is definatly a craftsman. Just take a look at the testimonial page on his website and his facebook page. I just got a flapjack in for my Springfield Ultra Compact 1911 and it blows away the Raven that I waited three times as long for. Shipping took a little longer each time I ordered.....I got them all within a week of the shipping email. I'm gonna get in line again before the wait is posted in months instead of days.

Would you want to order from someone who is sitting around waiting for the orders to come in? :der:

With all due respect, isn't this what all holster makers do...sit and wait for an order? I have never understood why they can't make a few as inventory, especially on very popular guns such as the PM9. If I knew I sold ten every month, I'd get busy making them before they are ordered. That, however, is not what the majority do. I also will reiterate that the frustration comes from either poor or absent communication.

I look forward to getting my Alabama holster very soon. The USPS still shows squat. I'm not terribly concerned about that since Greg communicated to me. Thats the key to happy customers.

P.S. My shipping refund was posted today. Thanks , Greg.

Bawanna
06-21-2011, 05:33 PM
You nailed it Rainman. Communication is the key to happiness. Like in your case, once he told you what his plan was you went from PO'd to Happy Camper in 2.7 seconds. Easy.
You see this alot with all kinds of companies where theres a failure to communicate, often times they dont realize somethings not right until you give em a call. Saves ya from falling thru the cracks.

I'm sure the holster business is a whimsical thing at best. I've often thought of getting a bunch of blanks cut for specific pistol grips and getting the stablized and ready. But I just know that if I get a bunch that size will have no interest and I'll have guys wanting something just slightly larger. Don't want a bunch of inventory laying around. Sort of lose the custom made end of the deal too.

Your right in that they should try to get a few ahead of course but many are so popular and busy that it just doesn't seem to happen or at least we don't hear of it much. Someone here got their Silent Thunder in under a week when most were waiting over 2 so they might have had that one ready to go.

Bill K
06-21-2011, 06:02 PM
It wasn't too many days after I got the PayPal message that my Alabama Pocket Holster shipped and that I was able to track it from Alabama to my home.

As much as I liked the holster as delivered I made some mods to make it even more to my liking. Got rid of the thumb push off (I use middle finger push off), put on two strips of Velcro hooks for added pocket retention and loosened the gun retention just a bit.

Bill K.

melissa5
06-22-2011, 07:11 AM
For the quality of the holster that I received, I would be willing to wait longer for another Alabama Holster. :)

CertifiedGunNut
06-22-2011, 07:33 AM
With all due respect, isn't this what all holster makers do...sit and wait for an order? I have never understood why they can't make a few as inventory, especially on very popular guns such as the PM9. If I knew I sold ten every month, I'd get busy making them before they are ordered. That, however, is not what the majority do. I also will reiterate that the frustration comes from either poor or absent communication.

I look forward to getting my Alabama holster very soon. The USPS still shows squat. I'm not terribly concerned about that since Greg communicated to me. Thats the key to happy customers.

P.S. My shipping refund was posted today. Thanks , Greg.

If he were sitting around waiting for orders to come in you would have it in less than a week. The last time I called him he said he had over 100 orders waiting to be filled. He is hardly waiting for orders to come in. I for one do not mind waiting for a quality product. Check out some of the other highly recommended holster makers out ther, they all have long wait times and many are longer than Alabama's wait. As far as him making them ahead of time because they are popular, I would be pissed if I was waiting for mine and he was busy making popular holster blanks because he anticipated getting more in the future.

Good to see he is taking care of you Rainman. Others are right as well that a little communication goes a long way and it works both ways. I've been doing this gun toting thing for over twenty years and let me tell ya that good holster makers are not a dime a dozen....especially when you find one that will work with you. I put an order in yesterday for my fifth alabama holster, I had the sweat shield customized and a 25 degree cant added at no extra charge. Will I have to wait? You bet. Do I care? Nope. But I am probably older than most here and what my mother said a long time ago applies..Good thing come to those who wait.

Papa13
06-22-2011, 11:06 AM
I ordered a Iphone case, said was 31days turnaround, ended up waiting 64 days before I got it, but was well pleased with the case once received, I just hate to wait on things..... maybe just me.

Rainman48314
06-22-2011, 03:02 PM
I ordered a Iphone case, said was 31days turnaround, ended up waiting 64 days before I got it, but was well pleased with the case once received, I just hate to wait on things..... maybe just me. A promise of 31 but delivery at 64!!!??

That's like going to the doctor or dentist with a 9:00 AM appointment and being seen at 4:00 P.M.

I believe most of us are anxious, perhaps even inpatient, when we purchase something. I don't believe that's the bigest issue. It's saying one thing and doing another. That's the irritant.

Rainman48314
06-22-2011, 11:08 PM
If he were sitting around waiting for orders to come in you would have it in less than a week. How can that be? He clearly did not start my order before I ordered it, therefore, he was waiting for me to order before work started. The last time I called him he said he had over 100 orders waiting to be filled. Meaningless number. Possibly self serving. Possibly only a weeks worth of production. Meaningless without knowing how many are employed there, for starters. He is hardly waiting for orders to come in. Logically, an impossibility. I for one do not mind waiting for a quality product. Me neither, I just like more clarity on delivery promises. Check out some of the other highly recommended holster makers out ther, they all have long wait times and many are longer than Alabama's wait. As far as him making them ahead of time because they are popular, I would be pissed if I was waiting for mine and he was busy making popular holster blanks because he anticipated getting more in the future. No telling if you have a wait. Would depend on the popularity. Yours would be (as you described it below), CUSTOM. You should be waiting the 45 to 65 days. Frankly, your custom order should cost slightly more. When it doesn't, it means extra costs are passed onto standard orders. That's what my 35 years in the business world tells me.

Good to see he is taking care of you Rainman. Others are right as well that a little communication goes a long way and it works both ways. I've been doing this gun toting thing for over twenty years and let me tell ya that good holster makers are not a dime a dozen....especially when you find one that will work with you. I put an order in yesterday for my fifth alabama holster, I had the sweat shield customized and a 25 degree cant added at no extra charge. Will I have to wait? You bet. Do I care? Nope. But I am probably older than most here and what my mother said a long time ago applies..Good thing come to those who wait.

The USPS website finally acknowledged my package is in their hands as of two hours ago. I should have it on day 64 or 65. Other comments are above in bold type.

CertifiedGunNut
06-23-2011, 09:05 AM
hey rainman don't take me the wrong way. I am just letting you know my experiences with him. It does however appear that you did not look too much into your purchase beforehand because you state that you do not know how many employees he has. If you looked around his website you would see that he is a one man shop and makes all holsters by hand himself in the order he gets them and ALL of his holsters are custom so no one holster would take any longer than any other. Also he does state on there that the 45 day is an estimate and delivery times vary. Not an excuse just telling you what is on the site because I don't think you looked into it too good before you ordered.

Rainman48314
06-23-2011, 01:23 PM
hey rainman don't take me the wrong way. I am just letting you know my experiences with him. It does however appear that you did not look too much into your purchase beforehand because you state that you do not know how many employees he has. If you looked around his website you would see that he is a one man shop and makes all holsters by hand himself in the order he gets them and ALL of his holsters are custom so no one holster would take any longer than any other. Also he does state on there that the 45 day is an estimate and delivery times vary. Not an excuse just telling you what is on the site because I don't think you looked into it too good before you ordered.CertifiedGunNut, no problem with you. We are just sharing experiences and opinions. I looked at his site initially, but its been two months ago. LOL.

My holster and double mag carrier both arrived today. The fit of the PM9 is excellent, the finish is excellent. Exactly as I expected it.

I called Greg to thank him for expediting my mag holder and shipping it at the same time. If I remember correctly, I orderd the mag holder about two or three weeks after the holster. I was also refunded the $7 shipping since the orders were combined in one box.

My 1 1/2" gun belt is a very very tight fit despite being a measured 1 7/16ths. It is thick as gun belts usually are. Greg and I discussed using dry silicone to see if this would help. Had I to do it over, I probably would get J hooks rather than full loops.

I like the finish and I like the ride height. Should work very well for me. I'll know for sure in a few weeks.

Rainman48314
06-23-2011, 05:22 PM
my A & G Custom Gunbelt in bullhide is too thick. It is just shy of .25 inch.

If you order from Greg at Alabama Holster, and probably others, you need to advise on the thickness of your intended belt. I assumed a gun belt was known to be thick and that most shared in being double thickness. No one asks and it may be less critical with C or J hooks. Not so with full belt loops.

A little silicone and some brute force got the holster on. The mag probably won't work as it is afixed without give, unlike the design on the actual holster. A small disappointment but I'll call Greg and work it out.

Rainman

CertifiedGunNut
06-24-2011, 08:04 AM
That's a thick belt. I had to go and measure mine after reading that. I have three that I normally use and all three are considered double thick holster belts. Two of them were 1/8" and the thickest was 3/16. I would call Greg and see if he will work with you on a return/exchange, or just buy a "normal" thickness belt.

Rainman48314
06-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Just checked some belt websites. Gun belts are usually double layer and often 1/4 inch. Talkin' belts from $65-$95

Rainman48314
06-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Greg called me to see if everything had worked out with the use of dry silicone. We ended up agreeing he would redo both the holster and mag carrier. I was unable to use the mag at all, the holster was a battle.

Back to waiting...but not too long.

Rainman

Rainman48314
07-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Greg called me to see if everything had worked out with the use of dry silicone. We ended up agreeing he would redo both the holster and mag carrier. I was unable to use the mag at all, the holster was a battle.

Back to waiting...but not too long.

Rainman My shipping email came last week. Greg built a new holster and mag carrier for me because my .24 inch thick gun belt did not work with the first units he sent me. The fix was quick, not much over a week. I expect it tomorrow.

Rainman48314
07-07-2011, 08:23 PM
My shipping email came last week. Greg built a new holster and mag carrier for me because my .24 inch thick gun belt did not work with the first units he sent me. The fix was quick, not much over a week. I expect it tomorrow.Both my revised mag holder and PM9 holster arrived today. They are perfect. Thanks Greg!