View Full Version : Old Dog New 2 me Trick that didn't

earle8888
04-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Well guy's You talked me into putting brass into cleaner before de-priming and sizing!
I still ended up with "media" in the flash hole above the spent primer. This has caused me to break a lot of Lyman de-capping pins. The pin is pushed sideways by the debris and then is bent and/or broken!!!! So I'm going back to the way I have done it for the past 30 plus years. If I must mess around getting the media out of the flash hole anyway I at least can save de-capping pins
Obviously I can't do it the way you guy's do. Oh Well!

Bawanna
04-10-2011, 02:30 PM
That's strange. I have never bent or broken a deprimer pin. Not a single one.

I do get media debri in the primer pocket from the top but it usually pushes out and isn't enough to effect the pin.

I do set things so the pin just barely pushes the primer out and doesn't go thru futher than necessary.

Whatever you've been doing for 30 years that works has to be a good thing. Not sure I'd change strategy now anyway.

earle8888
04-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Yep! thanks

MW surveyor
04-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Haven't broken a deprime pin yet, but then again, been reloading about 28 years less than you earle.

FWIW - I've made it a habit to take each case that has been cleaned, turn it over and give it a tap before I put it in the shell holder for de-priming/sizing. Probably the reason I haven't broken a pin (yet).

earle8888
04-11-2011, 12:48 PM
MW surveyor-- I did turnover-tap BUT some still stuck in the flash hole! I may need to replace walnut shells, they over 15 years old. Maybe they have gotten to just-the-right size to be a BIG problem.

Bawanna
04-11-2011, 01:02 PM
I sometimes give the case a quick tap to get the loose stuff out but usually theres some lodged in the primer also. I just push it out.
I think the key is not setting that punch too deep but it's just a theory.

I just replaced my at least 15 year old media and the new stuff does seem to work a whole lot better. The cap full of car wax seems to make em shine pretty and they are very slippery. (thanks Tilos) Has to be a good thing for the dies.

MW surveyor
04-11-2011, 02:50 PM
If you guys are going through just one tumbler of walnut media in 15 years, that 10 pound bag that I got at the pet store is gonna last a real long time! ;)

500KV
04-11-2011, 03:56 PM
2 or 3 used dryer sheets...Cut them up and run them. They do a great job of cleaning up the media.
They need to be used sheets, dont know why. :confused:
I just run them in the media when cleaning my hulls.

Bawanna
04-11-2011, 04:16 PM
2 or 3 used dryer sheets...Cut them up and run them. They do a great job of cleaning up the media.
They need to be used sheets, dont know why. :confused:
I just run them in the media when cleaning my hulls.

I've been gonna try that but wife says she don't use them dryer sheets. I'll have to find somebody here that does.

I guess they must just trap the dust and take away some of the fines. Heard it works.

500KV
04-11-2011, 05:21 PM
I've been gonna try that but wife says she don't use them dryer sheets.

Dang Bawanna, how do you keep your drawers from hiding in your britches leg ?
Gotta have those dryer sheets.
Oh, I get it now, you just buy new clothes when your's get dirty..Right ? :)

Bawanna
04-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Dang Bawanna, how do you keep your drawers from hiding in your britches leg ?
Gotta have those dryer sheets.
Oh, I get it now, you just buy new clothes when your's get dirty..Right ? :)

That was my thought to. I asked her if she wasn't concerned with static cling. Course there ain't enough of them little sheets in the world to take care of the static I get sometimes.
I don't have a clothing allowance, it all goes to meaningful stuff like, guns, bullets, powder, you know the important stuff.

Surprisingly, several of the ladies here don't use em either but I did find one that does and she's gonna bring me some tomorrow.

Hope the missus don't see em, she'll wonder where I been for sure.

earle8888
04-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Bawana---I set the de-capping pin so it just sticks below the shell holder with ram all the way up. That's the way I have always done it. I hadn't broken a pin until now. Any other suggestions?

Bawanna
04-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Bawana---I set the de-capping pin so it just sticks below the shell holder with ram all the way up. That's the way I have always done it. I hadn't broken a pin until now. Any other suggestions?

Not a single one earle, you got me stumped. I've truely never broken or bent a single one. I've always tumbled before depriming, never did it any other way.
Just don't got an answer for why yours is doing that.